Crane Tags

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: ghostingrey, randy marci, quackadikt

Crane Tags

Postby quackadikt » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:07 pm

Question for you guys complaining about crane tag #'s. If the counts are down, why do you have a problem with tag numbers dropping? Would you rather NMDGF just close the season, or just drop tag numbers until the counts come back up?
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Re: Crane Tags

Postby Back for more » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:09 pm

I could care less anymore . I'll just drive to Roswell and hammer em or go to Texas better yet
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"
Back for more
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:28 pm

:thumbsup:

Shoot their :censored: with some lead too.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby STICKLER » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:37 pm

Sorry, I haven't done my research, but do all the tags even get taken?
Carpe Diem
STICKLER
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:08 pm

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure they do.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby Back for more » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:43 am

In typical game and fish fashion I doubt it .just like big game , people don't draw for a unit and then there are leftover tags for that unit . Ignorant
Back for more
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:13 am

:huh:

I doubt there are any/many leftover crane tags. I very, very rarely hear of anyone NOT drawing one.

And the big game tags end up being sold afterwards anyway, so that's kind of a moot point. Every hunter's name isn't picked to see what tags are filled. A certain number of licenses for that species are alloted, so that many names are drawn. If nobody drawn picks unit xyz, then there will be leftovers since none were drawn.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby quackadikt » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:18 am

For illustration purposes only, lets say there's unit 1, 2, 3, and 4. Each unit allows 50 tags for zebras(200 tags total). On your application, you get 3 choices for a unit. 200 names will be drawn total, but say nobody has unit 4 listed as a choice, we have 50 leftovers for sale in unit 4. It's not the Dept's fault, it's just how the system works.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby Back for more » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:09 am

I'm well aware of how the draw works . Here's a surprise for you , I have not got a crane tag for two years. I have had plenty of clients that have also failed to draw a tag .

I'm not saying there are left over crane tags but I'd be pretty bugged if there was and they didn't sale them

And a side note we are finally getting coverage in Socorro county for game and fish
Back for more
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:14 am

Back for more wrote:And a side note we are finally getting coverage in Socorro county for game and fish

What kind of coverage?
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby Back for more » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:19 am

my buddy is starting soon in that district , assigned to Socorro district. Should be a lot of help with Bernardo ponds , etc.
Back for more
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting