Any lab pups?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

Re: Any lab pups?

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:53 am

Splatt wrote:I won't say won them.
He earned them by passing the standards set for the levels.
You should know that. Did you run your black female in senior yet?
If so, how'd she do?
Junior isn't worth running as you said.

Dog games aren't my thing as I've mentioned previously. She'll be a really good meat dog at some point.
She's just now going through Swim-by and honestly has struggled with it...transition Sucks!! At 15 months old she at times doesn't trust her line (confidence) and has a tendency to go on joy runs 10% of time on marks. On a positive note, she has extreme drive and speed which helps, her marking skills at times are very good when she focuses. Overall lots of young dog BS, proof that even a high powered pedigree has its challenges.

Good luck this weekend Mark!
Try to make it over to started and watch Zeek and Jett two pups with tons of potential, even with Greenhorn :yes: handlers!!!
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby Splatt » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:49 am

I'll try.
I wanna watch finished.
Wife and I will be at the social at Abes, Saturday evening.
Splatt
hunter

Postby frogskins01 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:17 am

Quackadick I've never said I was a trainer this is my first dog nor could I give 2 chits about hunt tests but I am going to give it a try. Do you have a hard on for me errr what? I haven't said anything to you or about you yet you seem to say things about me which I'm flattered but i don't roll that way home girl

Splat
I'm just giving you a hard time
If anyone was talking chit about my dog I'd be pretty pissed off so I apologize for that
Good luck
I'll look around out there for you
frogskins01
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:47 am

I just find it douchey as can be to be giving a man crap about buying a nice dog and finishing him out. You can't hide class...
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby Splatt » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:12 am

Its all good guys...
Farmers. com hit the nail on the head with my match up with Trap.
Froggie,
I got Trap as a buddy and hunting partner. I got talked into running Jr. , 5 months into owning him.
Seeing his first retrieve had me smiling and so choked up with happiness, I almost cried.
I don't travel to chase ribbons, so its taking time to advance.
After 4 straight in Jr., I watched senior and thought, heck, Trap can do that. So more training.
First go was a fail due to him not seeing the walk up bird and me not handling.
Passed second day.
3&4th fail......
Handling issues. MY fault....
Once you run and feel the joy of the time you spent training/working your dog, you'll be hooked.

Ah, I just wanted a hunting buddy.... Then it turns into a my dog can do that...
I wasn't going to run anymore. I got talked into this weekend again...
Trap is a hunting dog, not a game. He doesn't do something the UKC way.
Im trying to get him to do those, but come hunting season, those standards aren't real hunting and they fall off the way side.
206 ducks and 90 geese last season has a way of retraining to real hunting, not games.
Splatt
hunter

Postby Splatt » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:26 am

I can't scroll enough on my phone to edit.
That should have been the AKC not UKC way.

Traps a bank runner due to the Animas rivers swift current where I hunt.
AKC wants straight out and back, even 3 feet from shore running parallel to it.
Know how hard it is to try to make a dog its okay in one situation but not another?
I lined Trap out from shore and handled him over to a blind. The judges failed me because I sent him too fat??
I went too wide. They wanted the dog to challenge the blind???
They wanted him to stay in an imaginary corridor to the blind....
I did what I did to keep him away from the bank because they wanted the dog wet. I know my dog and knew Id have a heck of a time keeping him off the bank and 3 feet out in the water.
Ice covered bank. Dog runs bank or bruises legs breaking ice??
Hard to have a smart hunter or a robot gamer.
Splatt
hunter

Postby jayclarkie » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:32 am

I'll take smart hunter any day. Coco would get laughed out of a field trial, but she'll damn near kill herself to bring back anything I shoot, I've had to call her off retrieves cause sometimes the juan is just too treacherous.
Sorry folks, park's closed...
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:56 pm

60%-70% of testing dogs has to do with Control plain and simple.

Control in the field should also be a standard handlers maintain. Without control your dog can find its self in many hazards scenarios which could end badly, flood control jacks being one here in the MRG valley, or another big issue I have at LJ is other hunters dogs retrieving my birds... makes for a looonng day. If you can't recall your dog "Don't Hunt WMA's with that dog until you can"

Holding a line 3' from shore is an unrealistic expectation at SR level, possible even at MH too. NM had a reputation as an easy pass state for Pro trainers looking to title clients dogs, so trainers from all over drove hours with truckloads of dogs to test here. Maybe judges have changed those standards in hopes of discouraging 75 dog fields.

Offseason training keeps your dog sharp and in shape. let's all agree that a well trained dog makes for good conservation whether they cheat the bank or not.
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Blackfoot Inc wrote:60%-70% of testing dogs has to do with Control plain and simple.

Control in the field should also be a standard handlers maintain. Without control your dog can find its self in many hazards scenarios which could end badly, flood control jacks being one here in the MRG valley, or another big issue I have at LJ is other hunters dogs retrieving my birds... makes for a looonng day. If you can't recall your dog "Don't Hunt WMA's with that dog until you can"
Holding a line 3' from shore is an unrealistic expectation at SR level, possible even at MH too. NM had a reputation as an easy pass state for Pro trainers looking to title clients dogs, so trainers from all over drove hours with truckloads of dogs to test here. Maybe judges have changed those standards in hopes of discouraging 75 dog fields.

Offseason training keeps your dog sharp and in shape. let's all agree that a well trained dog makes for good conservation whether they cheat the bank or not.

My experience has taught me that most dogs directly reflect their owners.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby Splatt » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:19 pm

Bugger off knob!
Whatta ya sayin, Im fat and lazy!!!!
Splatt
hunter

Postby Back for more » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:24 pm

Maybe I'm different but that's not how I train my dogs .

When the ducks are at the decoys , the dogs better be flying out toward them when the gun rings,. WHILE RIVER HUNTING THAT IS . NO WE DON'T PUT DOGS IN DANGER OF BEING SHOT , but with a fast moving river and multiple ducks , they need to be on it.my whistle to bring the birds consists of saying " bring the bird" & "here " .

My judgment of any bird dog is drive . Seeing my oldest dog get cut by barn wire from paw to pit while getting snow geese is dedication .

Bleeding like hell due to an accidental cut and bringing a bird back then going to get more , says a lot . She did it on her on free will that's what it's about . NO I was not aware she was cut prior to the following bird.

Stitching my dog up after that is what it's about . A vet ? Nope , me,the dog and a sterile stiching kit. That's trust

Cutting her nose up on ice to get a diving crippled is what it's about . She would rather gets scars than let a duck go .
Retrieving crippled crane that try to attack her is what it's about . She might not listen to my command of " stop " but look at the drive she has.

One way or another the bird is coming back .

My bird dog retrieving birds up to the day she have birth to puppies is what it's about .

GUYS IT'S ALL PREFERENCE AND DRIVE . REGARDLESS OF WHO TRAINED IT OR WHERE IT WAS BORN.IT'S ABOUT THAT LIFELONG FRIEND . Hell my oldest dog has been by my side when times get tough and relationships ended,.

We'll there's my .02 cents , I'll Shut up now
Last edited by Back for more on Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter

Postby Splatt » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:05 pm

Thanks for lunch Jason. Next time its on me.
Now you've met Trap.
Splatt
hunter

Postby jayclarkie » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:12 pm

Deal...and that pooch of yours is the most well-mannered hunting dog I've ever met.
Sorry folks, park's closed...
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby Splatt » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:56 pm

Thank you.
Hes such a good boy.
Splatt
hunter

Postby --(NastyBoy)-- » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:21 pm

NickFranco wrote:I already bought a pup back in May, I got him off craigslist for $120. I didnt want to pay some ****** $800+ for a pup just for the credentials. He is healthy, well taken care of and loves to retrieve especially in the pool. :thumbsup: He weights 25lbs now and will be getting his final shots in two weeks.

How's that pup working out for ya? How is the obedience and any yard work with the pup?

Its always nice to have another good citizen out in the field with ya.
I am NOT a Mexican!!!

Shed Happens!
--(NastyBoy)--
hunter

Previous

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting