Duck boat project

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Duck boat project

Postby NickFranco » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:28 pm

I thought id show you guys this. I decided last season to save my money and build a boat instead of hunting this past year. this is where im at so far.
Attachments
IMG173.jpg
BLAM!...hehehe
NickFranco
hunter

Re: Duck boat project

Postby jrabq » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:59 pm

The dog thinks it's ready. :thumbsup:
jrabq
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:41 am

Pretty cool. I hope you don't have to paddle/drive that thing too far though. Looks like it's going to plow water like a SOB.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby STICKLER » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:07 am

Heck, turn that baby in to a mini air boat. Just get a good nose piece for the front like QA was getting at.
Carpe Diem
STICKLER
hunter

Postby Back for more » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:08 am

Does it float ?
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter

Postby NickFranco » Thu May 01, 2014 12:08 am

It floats just fine. it sits in about 3inches of water with two people in it and ive fixed up a 1970s 1.2hp motor i got off craigslist for it but it needs to be registered before i can use it with the motor.
BLAM!...hehehe
NickFranco
hunter

Postby Back for more » Thu May 01, 2014 7:33 am

Nice . Cool little diy project

Back for more
hunter

Postby Dirt » Thu May 01, 2014 8:42 am

Looks nice. I have a bigger motor I could sell ya. Awesome workshop you have there.
Dirt
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Thu May 01, 2014 8:56 am

I've been wanting to build one of the Hybrid models myself. I'm guessing you're going to fiberglass it? Have you found any of the crap to glass it with in Cruces, or are you ordering it?
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby Back for more » Thu May 01, 2014 8:58 am

you got me thinking, not that I could get myself to miss a duck season , but man I would have like two airboats if I used all my waterfowl expenses on a boat !!!! DAM THIS ADDICTION

Back for more
hunter

Postby NickFranco » Thu May 01, 2014 2:06 pm

No im not gonna fiberglass it, Ive found a durable paintable water sealant. Since i live in cruces this boat will probably only see about 12hrs of use per year. Its based on a boat some guy built and posted to a survival forum.

link here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gqOEoyuJfg

all i did was expand the dimensions he used
BLAM!...hehehe
NickFranco
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Thu May 01, 2014 3:34 pm

Good luck with that if you aren't going to glass it. Better post up here and let us know when and where you're taking it out so someone can come pick you up :biggrin:
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby NickFranco » Thu May 01, 2014 3:55 pm

Ill be just fine. Ive spent a few months researching the sealant im using. ive tested it and it exceeds my needs by whole lot. applied it to a piece of the wood i used for the boat and completely submerged it for 7 days pulled it out of the water and completely dry, no water absorption it just rolled off just like a ducks back. Also im gonna be painting it too so Im very confident in my work.
BLAM!...hehehe
NickFranco
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Thu May 01, 2014 4:00 pm

Does it add any structural support like glass does though? There's a lot of rocks in the lakes. Rocks and thin wooden boats don't go together too well. Fiberglass is umpteen times stronger and more abrasion resistant than just some wood sealer.

I'm not trying to bust your balls, but I don't want to hear about you sinking this boat either.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby NickFranco » Thu May 01, 2014 4:29 pm

I see your point but i only built this as a cheap project. I have put 2x4s across the width of the boat every 18in for support i also added 4 full length runners on the bottom . I just want something to putt around in, the motor i have only pushes me slightly faster than two people paddling. This is all just for fun until i can afford an aluminum boat. The boat i based mine off of is made of 3/8th ply and has no supports along the width, he also only painted it using some oops paint he got at the store. I used 15/32s ply and have something like 9 supporting 2x4s, im going to seal it and then paint it with heavy duty latex water proof paint. The sealant i bought does not add any structural support but it repels water, mold, and prevents the paint from bubbling or blistering.(plus more but i dont want to quote the whole thing)

I know your not trying to bust my balls. Its just hard to get a good sense of the thing from that one picture
BLAM!...hehehe
NickFranco
hunter

Postby TexasMallard10 » Fri May 02, 2014 11:16 am

You should of sacrificed a whole season working a second job and buy a real boat brother. I don't want to see your *** on the news.
TexasMallard10
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Fri May 02, 2014 1:49 pm

TexasMallard10 wrote:You should of sacrificed a whole season working a second job and buy a real boat brother. I don't want to see your *** on the news.

And I have one for sale that wouldn't have been a ton more money, and is much more seaworthy.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby Watadawg » Fri May 02, 2014 5:23 pm

Nice looking rig for a hobby. :thumbsup: Cheap at that. The oars are gonna cost more than the boat.

Be sure to have several floating devices on board. For the equipment, floating gun case, floating blind bag and LIFE vest. Small leak can submerge you very quickly in something like that. I am speaking with experience. Had it happen last season with a hunting buddy. Not fun. :fingerhead:
Shed Happens!!!!!
Watadawg
hunter

Postby TexasMallard10 » Fri May 02, 2014 5:33 pm

quackadikt wrote:
TexasMallard10 wrote:You should of sacrificed a whole season working a second job and buy a real boat brother. I don't want to see your *** on the news.

And I have one for sale that wouldn't have been a ton more money, and is much more seaworthy.

Exactly!
TexasMallard10
hunter

Postby TexasMallard10 » Fri May 02, 2014 5:35 pm

But the Cubans made it o Florida in a fridge so why can't this guy duck hunt in a wood coffin because he won't buy QA boat
TexasMallard10
hunter

Postby Back for more » Fri May 02, 2014 6:22 pm

TexasMallard10 wrote:But the Cubans made it o Florida in a fridge so why can't this guy duck hunt in a wood coffin because he won't buy QA boat

haha lmao off , that's funny right there :hammer:

Back for more
hunter

Postby STICKLER » Fri May 02, 2014 6:31 pm

I agree! Nobody should end up like "Doc Watson" at the Butte.
Carpe Diem
STICKLER
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting