Turkey gun question

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: ghostingrey, randy marci, quackadikt

Turkey gun question

Postby jrabq » Fri May 23, 2014 9:00 am

Before the turkey season completely fades in the rear view mirror I have a question for you turkey hunters. Do you just screw a full choke into your duck gun, or do you have an extra full, or XXF specialty choke you use. What size shot is your favorite, and do you think it matters much comparing 4,5,6's. Reason I ask is because in 2013 I pulled the trigger twice and 2 birds died instantly, this year, different story. Some operator error no doubt, but also maybe just some bad luck; want to tilt things back in my favor next year.
jrabq
hunter

Re: Turkey gun question

Postby quackadikt » Fri May 23, 2014 11:23 am

I screw a turkey choke into my gun, and that's about it. I like to pattern a bunch of different loads though. Next year, I'll probably get some Hevi-shot for the 20ga. Lead killed my bird fine this year, but he was at about 18 steps. I've got a couple of other turkey hunts in the making for next year, and I'd rather not have to worry about a thin pattern if a bird hangs up at 40 yards.

I do think that guys get WAY caught up on pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards, and lots of guys miss birds because they are shooting a lazer beam instead of a shotgun. I think there's a happy medium there somewhere.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Re: Turkey gun question

Postby Back for more » Fri May 23, 2014 1:37 pm

I use my extended range choke that I use for ducks and geese. 60+ yards

I use 3.5 in. bb's . Not a fan of small shot for waterfowl or turkey.
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting