Vegas Goose

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Vegas Goose

Postby flatiron » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:19 pm

I drew a Canada goose permit for the Las Vegas Wildlife refuge next month. Anybody ever hunt there before? Its apparently a field hunt from a pit blind, but thats all I know. I'm a ducker and opportunistic gooser, but I've never tried to hunt Canada's in a field before.
flatiron
hunter

Postby ghostingrey » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:04 pm

Never hunted geese there but I did talk to their resiurce management specilaist a bit about it one day. He said it could be hit or miss but there was almost at least some action. I also think they have loaner decoys available. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby Dirt » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:19 pm

My experience was not good. I borrowed some decoys they
offer. A coyote attacked one and ruined it. Cost me 20 bucks.
Three of us never took a shot. Just like the Bosque del Apache
snow goose hunts. Very few birds are taken.
Dirt
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:52 pm

I have hunted there before, and as with all WMA hunts it can be feast or famine. They supply a couple of dozen decoys - the poor decoys have seen too many seasons.

You hunt from a pit blind on a field selected by a drawing. If you have good decoys, bring them to add to the loaner spread.

Good luck and wish I was there.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby randy marci » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:01 pm

dirt is spot on.......it is usually, notice usually, moderately terrible at best for those of that make that 2 hour drive. the dekes they loan out are 2 dozen shells. that is one of the cooler parts. if you don't have dekes at least they help you out with that. there are alot of geese in the area right now up there. they had a hunt today and the birds flew fairly well. they will leave the roost pond and head toward the blind area to go feed. you are gonna have to be on your game. good luck
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby flatiron » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:18 am

Thanks for the advice. A friend loaned me a couple crow decoys he said to put outside the goose spread, said that flying geese will trust an area more if they see that crows consider it safe. Figure it can't hurt.
flatiron
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting