Headed to Ft. Bliss

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Headed to Ft. Bliss

Postby chsend22 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:16 pm

Hey all,

Got some bad news yesterday. The Army has seen fit to send me to Ft. Bliss in El Paso this fall, which does not bode well for my young retriever pup and my half-complete Gator Boats Duckhunter that I am working on. I don't think retrievers and duck boats really jive well with the desert, so I am a bit upset. Gotta love the Army...

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone can fill me in on the waterfowl (or other hunting) situation out that way, or if it even exists? Are there any good waterfowling areas down in that area at all? Seems like good quail and dove (which I will miss this year) out there. I understand that you can hunt on Ft. Bliss itself, and that that seems to be the recommended course of action. I also see that the off-post hunting opportunities seem to be much better on the New Mexico side than the Texas side. That, however, seems to cost an arm and a leg and is also on a lottery system.

If anyone has any info on good places or people to link up with out there, big game hunting processes, waterfowl conditions in that area, or also information on a local Hunting Retriever Club (hunt tests, field trials, etc), I would really appreciate it. Just trying to do my homework before I get out there.

Thanks,

Matt
chsend22
hunter

Re: Headed to Ft. Bliss

Postby quackadikt » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:09 pm

Check your PM's.

I THINK there's an HRC club up in Albuquerque? Some of these guys from up north could chime in.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby -(NastyBoy)- » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:07 am

:welcome: Here is a few clubs to list. Labrador Retriever Club of Albuquerque, Roadrunner HRC and Drol'Odhar Retrievers(my personal favorite). You can contact Mary at mmottertail@gmail.com for more info. A very nice lady and very knowledgeable. Great to work with. Good luck to ya. :thumbsup:
I am NOT a Mexican!!!!

Shed Happens!
-(NastyBoy)-
Newb

Postby chsend22 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:26 am

Seems like Albuquergue is gonna be my best bet, even at 3.5 hours away.

Thanks!
chsend22
hunter

Postby Bohdichaka » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:39 pm

q
Last edited by Bohdichaka on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rookie waterfowler, been duck hunting three times but love every minute
Bohdichaka
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:08 pm

I think you need to take a dose of this.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby -(NastyBoy)- » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:54 pm

Bohdichaka wrote:qué

FIFY :lol3:
I am NOT a Mexican!!!!

Shed Happens!
-(NastyBoy)-
Newb

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting