Bernardo goose hunt

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, quackadikt, ghostingrey

Bernardo goose hunt

Postby cjc » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:57 pm

Any of you guys apply for the Bernardo light goose hunt? My brothers and I got drawn for the Jan 21st hunt. Just thought I'd ask so if any of you might be there I could introduce myself before we get our blind assignments.
cjc
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:51 am

I have done it a couple times now. First time, my two buddies and I scored one snow each. We didn't have any decoys so we used plastic trash bags - they worked.

Second time, I got a blind with three other guys. One person was a total idiot (luck of the draw and getting assigned with one). We were finished by 9:00, this idiot was too much. The idiotic had some rags with him and we set up those.

The blind will be a concrete ditch with a box over it. Bring camo cover for the box. Bring decoys if you can get some. And, practice your snow goose calling.

I didn't put in this year because my hunting buddy was starting out a new job.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby flatiron » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:17 pm

I got drawn for that same hunt. I heard that Texas Rags work pretty well and you can put out 100 dekes for $20, so I guess I'll be trying that.
flatiron
hunter

Postby dsconyers » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:24 pm

I've been on that hunt the last two years. The first year my group (3) shot 11 and last year we shot 14. We applied this year but never recieved a response so I'm guessing we ran out of luck. For decoys, we used 200 white trashbags stapled together to catch the wind and inflate.
dsconyers
Newb

Postby cjc » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:23 am

Thanks for the pointers everyone, and flatiron, I'll see you there!
cjc
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting