Well I have a challenge

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, quackadikt, ghostingrey

Well I have a challenge

Postby jrabq » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:25 am

A physical challenge for myself that is. Found out a couple of weeks ago that I drew a Montana Mountain Goat tag. Turn 58 this week. I have been working on getting in shape for a high country elk hunt this September, but since I got the goat tag I've tried accelerating my pace. My body is saying "Stop it You Fool"! So I thought I'd waste some time on the internet and relax a bit.
Attachments
MTgoat2014 cropped.png
MTgoat2014 cropped.png (12.54 KiB) Viewed 395 times
jrabq
hunter

Re: Well I have a challenge

Postby quackadikt » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:34 am

Man, congrats. That is flat out awesome. I'm assuming you're going to take the rifle and leave the bow at home? When is the hunt?
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby jrabq » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:07 pm

quackadikt wrote: I'm assuming you're going to take the rifle and leave the bow at home? When is the hunt?

Hunt is 3 months long; Sep 1-Nov 30, so I've got lots of options. Some people will hunt later so the goats will have longer hair, but this raises chances of getting snowed out. Not sure when I will go, if I get done early with elk hunt I might go up and chase them around with my bow in late September. But more than likely I will end up using a rifle in October or November.
jrabq
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:20 pm

Did a little googling and looks like you have 1 of the first two tags ever for that area...I'm expecting some pictures of that awesome scenery and a hero shot of a dead goat. Best of luck to you :thumbsup:
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby jrabq » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:21 pm

Yep, one reason I put in for that unit was because it had never been hunted. Should be some older goats there, but problem is judging them is not easy, from what I gather. So my goal is to: (1) survive, and (2) shoot something "representative" of the species.
jrabq
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:41 pm

Yea, from what I've read and seen, Mt. goats are the toughest species to sex/score through glass. Are you planning on hiring a guide, or DIY?
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby jrabq » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:07 pm

quackadikt wrote: Are you planning on hiring a guide, or DIY?

Probably DIY, save my money for Alaska or something else.
jrabq
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting