Just curious

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, quackadikt, ghostingrey

Just curious

Postby cjc » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:57 am

I was just wandering if any of you guys hunt the refuges until 1pm, then continue hunting the rest of the day at the river or somewhere else if your limit hasn't been shot out. I do, but hardly ever hear other shots in the evening, and when I do, I wander if those other guys are just going out in the afternoon, or if they also had a cruddy mornining.
cjc
hunter

Postby Stogie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:42 am

I hunt ducks at the WMA in my boat (or at least do when there is enough water) so I usually quit around noon.

I do however hunt quail in the WMA then move out to BLM land for the afternoon.

Its getting to be interesting keeping up with what type of shot I need to carry daily for Duck, Quail, steel, lead, so on and so on.
Stogie
hunter

Postby cjc » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:43 pm

Stogie- I know your doin well with the quail. My brother went down to Roswell (just west of) 1st weekend of quail and said you couldn't take five steps without jumping up a covey.
cjc
hunter

Postby Stogie » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:42 pm

Yep, there are a bunch of Qual this year but they get educated fast. I was scouting the river for ducks and jumped a covey so I got out with my viszla to hunt them. I could not even get close enough for a shot and they would not hold for my dog.

The later in the year it gets the farther you have to go to find stupid birds.
Stogie
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting