Bitter Lake hunt with gostingrey

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Bitter Lake hunt with gostingrey

Postby Stogie » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:20 am

Met with Connor this weekend to hunt the Bitter Lake Refuge in Roswell.

Went down on Friday evening and drove around the lake. Never have I seen this many ducks, geese, cranes, and waterfowl of all types and species. If you ignore the coots and concentrate on the ducks there are 4 pintails out of every 5 ducks. Good thing they are protected to only one and not till after Dec. 20.

That evening I was parked at a RV site about 7 miles SW of the reserve and watched hundreds of Cranes fly right over my head returning to the lake.

Groups of Snows and ducks were mixed in with the cranes and were everywhere you looked.

But here is the kicker. These Ducks, Geese, and Cranes, are the most educated birds I have ever seen. Hunting is only allowed on the south end of the lake so they all take off and circle North to gain altitude then fly right over town heading SW to private land to feed on.

We set up on an oxbow south of the lake and only had two pintail hens come in to our spread. We saw one other Mallard Drake who snuck past behind us. It is not that we could not call any ducks in it was that there were no ducks flying anywhere close.

But we watched thousands of Cranes, Snows, and ducks flying over town just east of us at 30,000 feet going somewhere south to feed.

I guess a scouting trip is in order to find out where they go during the day.

Even thought the birds were tough I had a great time hunting with Connor. And I did learn some things about hunting around Roswell that will help next time.
Proud owner of the Trollidar5000. BS detector.

Personal attacks do not strengthen your argument, they only weaken your credibility.
Unless the point you are argueing is what a idiot the person you are attacking is.
Stogie
hunter

Postby randy marci » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:29 am

connor has the sweetest sideburns in the duck hunting world :yes:
too bad you guys didn't get any ducks, but at least you learned some stuff for the future. :thumbsup:
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby ghostingrey » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:13 pm

Dang that's quite a compliment Randi :yes:

The birds could have been more cooperative but we did have a good time and Stogie/Carl was a great host. Sleepin in the RV beats the back of my pickup any day.

Speaking of educated birds, this blew my mind. After seeing nothing flying at all for a couple hours we decided to pull up stakes, get some breakfast and have a look around. We drive past one of the oxbow lakes out there and i see 50-75 ducks at the far end of the lake. We park the truck and put the sneak on them only to realize these ducks are sitting 10 ft inside the border of the no hunting zone. :no: It was unbelievable.
The other fun part of that lake was when we considered setting some deeks. I see the water is about 12 inches deep and wade in. I take two steps and promptly sink past my waist in some of the foulest mud I have encountered. Almost had to get pulled out of there.

Still it was a good time, met a new hunting buddy with a great quail dog. I'll give ya a call next time I'm heading that way Carl.
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby flatiron » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:07 pm

I had a similar experience hunting canadas at the Las Vegas refuge this past friday. All the geese that were on the refuge had been there for weeks and already figured out where the hunting pits were. We were in a pit in the middle of a mowed corn field with deeks out, and the Canadas were landing out on the prairie. Of course there were hundreds of snow geese flying around, but the hunt permit was only for Canadas. Whoever has that same pit this weekend will limit by sunrise.
flatiron
hunter

Postby verno_13th » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:36 pm

deleted
Last edited by verno_13th on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
verno_13th
hunter

Postby Stogie » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:27 pm

Ok,,,, Connor you are fired.

Coop is the new official guide for Bitter Lakes.

:biggrin:

What I want is to find a Guide who knows where the heck all those geese and ducks are going in the morning and coming from in the evening.
Proud owner of the Trollidar5000. BS detector.

Personal attacks do not strengthen your argument, they only weaken your credibility.
Unless the point you are argueing is what a idiot the person you are attacking is.
Stogie
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting