Duck Hunting Forum banner

Great day; huge size difference in birds

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  jrabq 
#1 ·
Hard work getting to the X, but was rewarded with a nice bag, was very picky with my shots. Couldn't resist the snipe, with #2 shot; also shot goose with #2.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Super hunt!

I think you know this, but I love shooting snipe almost more than shooting ducks. I passed on about 6 last week and I'm kind of kicking myself for it.

#5 ·
BorderBouncer said:
Nice, didn't do to well today. You shoot the pin tail round San Juan county? Theyre rare up here. Only harvested one this season
Pintail in central flyway, not real abundant where I normally hunt, other places hold quite a few. Only #4 for me this year, usually end up with 5-10 a year.

#8 ·
sorry ill elaborate .

1.5 months ago--Brushing trails you walked in on , decoy sled . dog and a fairly nice natural brush blind. north of belen bridge.fairly deep across from an inlet. I was south about a mile. I have a pic of the trail if you need it.

and south of that recently . same spot you hunt every year .

wasn't poking just saying hi from a location near you.

#10 ·
silver f-150 , like the thousands around .......

I just like talking to old timers, I really enjoy hearing the knowledge. Just thought I might say hi one day if I ran across you , because we frequent some common areas. that's all

as you can see we are shooting the **** out of the same birds. just always seem to be a little ways apart.

Attachments

#13 ·
jrabq said:
Back for more said:
Just thought I might say hi one day if I ran across you
Sounds good to me, although I don't feel like an "old timer", yet.

Nice bag, what kind of duck dog is that???
a good 3 month old one lol .Still working hard to carry birds bigger than her.birdy as all get out

sorry if the old timer comment was offensive , as I didn't mean it in that way.

I got a question, if you don't mind ? as far as the most recent spot (not the prior mentioned ) did you build the natural made blind also? came across it the other day, small strip island in front? I believe it's close , if not where I seen you last season.

Attachments

#14 ·
Back for more said:
sorry if the old timer comment was offensive , as I didn't mean it in that way.
Didn't take it that way.

Regarding the blind, not sure I completely follow where you are talking about, but if it is waaay down south I have only hunted there from my boat. In any case I haven't "built" any new blinds since early season.

Funny/cute pictures of the pup. :thumbsup:

#16 ·
quackadikt said:
I think you know this, but I love shooting snipe almost more than shooting ducks. I passed on about 6 last week and I'm kind of kicking myself for it.
I love shooting snipe also, and have a nostalgic soft spot for the sport. When I was growing up in LA it was something I did after duck season, I think snipe season ran into February like it does now. I could often find them in fields a few miles from my house if we got enough rain. They certainly can be a wingshooting challenge. One memorable day when I was 16 or 17 I started out 7 for 7, I was on a roll, in a state of Zen. But the pressure got to me and I choked, took 15-20 shells the kill the 8th and final bird (limit has been 8 forever). ARRRGGGGH! Do you remember the scene in Caddyshack where the priest is playing a perfect game of golf in a thunderstorm, then misses the last putt???

For a couple of years, about 20 years ago, there was a flooded field at La Joya WMA that held snipe. I got my limit there several times, and near limits on many occasions. Then something changed in the water flow pattern and the field dried up, I think that was the last spot I got my limit (pic). Shot a few here and there over the years, but nothing like that spot. My best shooting day there (and ever) was 9 out of 10 birds with 13 shots, but lost one.

Since duck season ends early this year :mad: I might take a ride and go snipe hunting, or quail hunting, or something.

Attachments

#18 ·
Well I'd be happier than a pig in mud to meet you and bring a dog or two along. I'll bring a picnic lunch too :biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.