Duck Hunting Forum banner

Duck Hunting Newbie

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  cshort 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm a newbie to Duck Hunting. Went for years as a kid with my dad, I've hunted Elk, Deer and Turkey.
Been out once (last year) with a brother-in-law in Utah, loved it and want to get into it here in NM.
Looking for some guidance on etiquette, locations, times of day/year, etc. like I said total newb, and don't want to offend
Or step on toes. Looks like this is the board to be in.

Hope to hear from you all.

#6 ·
It would be wise to know a couple spots to hunt, but come summer time the rio is gonna drop a lot, then when the water comes back in the beginning of October is when you need to find places to go. Not sure about maps about the river, need to buy a gate key from MRGCD.

#8 ·
Don't crowd people. If you think you're too close to them, you are.

Don't shoot birds traveling in the stratosphere.

I've never been up there, but there's probably zero need to build an actual blind. Cut some limbs if you think you need more cover.

Pick up your trash.

#11 ·
I agree with the above statements regarding "blinds". For several reasons you do not want to invest a lot of effort into building a "permanent" structure. One reason is you are advertising your spot. Another reason is you might find out it sucks and you need to move. As others have stated, there is no reason to crowd, you should never be closer than 1/4 mile, preferably further. And have a plan B & C if someone is in "your" spot. Also a good idea to have a plan B or C because of water flow, duck patterns, etc.

Just one other comment, in my opinion there is a steep learning curve for hunting on the river. One aspect is safety, and the ability to retrieve your birds, based upon the flow. If the flow is 400 cfs or below it is usually not an issue. Around 600 it can start getting dicey. Around 1000 it can be dangerous, you should absolutely have a dog and/or a boat (and it can be dangerous for your dog). Above 1000 be very careful, or stay home. During most of the season it will be in the 400-1000 cfs range, but flows of 2000 can occur anytime.

Here is a link;

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nm/nwis/current/?type=flow

Other options include the WMA's further south, it can be frustrating but the hunting is often good. And you are less likely to drown. If you are willing to travel even further you can be rewarded, but it takes effort.

Good luck,
JR

#12 ·
Thanks guys! That's great info. I really appreciate it. I have been a river fly fisherman for many years, so I understand the dangers of river flow and what not. jrabq, thanks for the info on distances and blinds. Well, I think I have some homework to do and some research to work through. I really appreciate everyone being so helpful and informative.

--Fenix

#17 ·
Hi Fenix,

I learned to hunt ducks and geese in the MRGV when I was in grad school over the last few years, although I generally drive about an hour from ABQ to get away from all the pressure near the city and in the WMA's.

If you're interested in tagging along sometime, I'd be happy to show you what's worked for me on the river. I'm hoping to try my first turkey hunt this year but never have, so I'd especially be interested in swapping some duck hunt time for some turkey hunt time, if you're so inclined. Shoot me a PM.

Clark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.