You're Fired, Sportsmans Warehouse!

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

You're Fired, Sportsmans Warehouse!

Postby bluewing77 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:53 am

i'm done with that store in Abq. no offense to you randy marci. the service is poor, often times items i am looking for are not in stock, and better prices can be found online. i'll save myself the 30 min drive into town and spend a little $ on shipping just to keep my blood pressure in check.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby cjc » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:49 pm

Yeah prices might be a little on the high side, but when life stresses me out, I could go into that store and spend an hour just looking at all the stuff they got and I'll feel better. We do need more options though, like a Gander Mountain, or Cabela's, or something. Sorry to hear that, cause that sucks that you have to banish the best store in the state.
cjc
hunter

Postby randy marci » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:19 am

i'm with ya......haven't worked there in 2 months. no offense felt here.
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby duckahlr » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:55 am

I bought a 55 gal drum there this week. When I got one in IL a couple years ago I paid $10...this week I paid $60 for one. :huh:
duckahlr
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:55 pm

a little more rant:
1) i dont know how many times i went looking for those J-shaped decoy anchors, out of stock.
2) another time, it took 3 people to find a box of full body mallard decoys. and it was a GIRL that found em!
3) for teal, i like Winchester 1 oz. #6 steel. out of stock. \
4) I've bought 3 guns (2 for myself) from there, but never again, the guys working gun dept. have serious attitude issues.
5) this final time, it was a factory choke tube, out of stock. and then the salespeople act like its YOUR fault for wanting some obscure/obsolete product. i told em "i'll just order it, c-ya" on my way out.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby Medis » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:58 pm

I agree with you on the people at the gun counter, and at the archery area. If you ask them a question about something they act you are challenging there knowledge of the subject, and if you are unsure of something they act your an idiot and shouldn't be wasting their time. I miss little mom and pop bait and tackle stores. Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain all of them are great, like big kid candy stores. But when it comes to actually making a bif purchase I would rather do it online where I don't have to deal with rude people.
Medis
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:41 pm

Have you you ever met the guy that used to watch the cameras?........what a prick. :crazy:
duckahlr
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:28 pm

Now that there are the main game in town as far as outdoor gear is concerned, they can act that way, because of the few idiots that work there. Remember the sporting goods store on Manual that move uptown; they thought they were God's gift to the outdoor enthusiast. I tried to find some Snow shells there that sold elsewhere for 60 bucks, mas or menos, and Ch..., oops, sorry; wanted 90 bucks for them.

Sportsman here is still in its infancy as far as time goes. I have some issues with them on an occasional basis but it normally deals with some idiot. Not all the people that work there are pions and some are good and knowledgeable in what they do. Just like a lot of things, there are the 10 percent that screw it up for all.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

I concur

Postby Minnesota Boy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:57 pm

I had to dig up my password so I could add my two cents worth. I just came back from MN where it seems like there is a Giant Cabelas or a Gander Mtn every where you look as well as mom and pop stores that still sell bait and tackle or guns.
I always feel like im inconveniencing anyone buy trying to buy something, especially guns. And what is up with the dry firing of guns when they show them to you.
Minnesota Boy
hunter

Postby brooks264 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:20 pm

cjc wrote:Yeah prices might be a little on the high side, but when life stresses me out, I could go into that store and spend an hour just looking at all the stuff they got and I'll feel better. We do need more options though, like a Gander Mountain, or Cabela's, or something. Sorry to hear that, cause that sucks that you have to banish the best store in the state.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Do you remember what prices were like at Charlies or Los Ranchos before Sportsmans showed up?

It was a good place to cool off and wire down

No, I don't work for them!!!!

Daryl
When asked where he went on vacation, Edward Teller replied, "half way across my backyard"
brooks264
hunter

Postby troadmauler » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:55 pm

I'm glad to see that I am not the only person to be through with Sportsmans. Last year I went to buy some GHG duck decoys there and I stood with the example in my hand for 30 min while the salesman chatted up his buddy across the aisle. I went up to the service desk and asked to see a manager. This took another 15 min. I already had about $100.00 worth of merchandice in my cart. When the manager got to the front. I gave him my cart and told him to put it back, or have one of his busy salesmen do it, and proceeded to tell him what I thought of his store. I have been into 5 Sportsmans in 4 different states and they are all the same. Most stores around here will match an advertised price from them, or I can buy it cheaper online.
Public lands are there for all to use!! Hunt clubs are for the weak of heart and mind.
troadmauler
hunter

Postby xdsscout » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:41 am

This is the wife speaking here, so bare with me. I just happened to see this thread and wanted to say a couple of things.

I think it may be the Sportsman's Warehouse in Albuquerque and not all the others.

The one down here in Las Cruces is great and when Randall and I walk in we are greeted by first name by almost everyone in the store. The people are great. I would agree that they run out of stuff often, but there is always someone willing to get it to us by ordering it for free. The Sportsmans down here also has the J weights in stock as we just bought some yesterday....see if that sportsmans can get them from this one down here...they often do that. I will be happy to talk to the GM down here for you guys and let them know how unhappy you are with the one up there and maybe, just maybe we can get the problem resolved.

Happy hunting...I'll let ya know what happens.

Vickie Vallee
xdsscout
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:48 pm

xdsscout wrote:This is the wife speaking here...I think it may be the Sportsman's Warehouse in Albuquerque and not all the others... The one here in Cruces is great and when Randall and I walk in we are greeted by first name... Vickie Vallee

vickie & randall -- glad to hear you guys are getting good service down there! i started this thread to see what other's experience with the store was and just to be sure i wasnt blowing things out of proportion.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby verno_13th » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:22 am

deleted
Last edited by verno_13th on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
verno_13th
hunter

Postby xdsscout » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:13 am

Hey Don, glad to see you're alive and kicking, jk. I finally picked up those green heads yesterday-oh and ya, did I mention I got them on sale :nana: , got the last box. I have to agree with my wife on this one, the Sportsmans in Las Cruces is a super place and Dream loves to get her cookie before we leave. I sure would be glad to talk to the the GM here as Vickie suggested if you like.
xdsscout
hunter

Postby Medis » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:01 pm

I wish they would let you blow the calls...The bass pro shops in Md. where I used to go would take it out, sanitize it and let you you try it out. Then they would clean it again before they put it away. Its nice to be able to try something when your gonna be spending a lot of money on a call. I was just wondering if anyone else felt this way????
Medis
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:18 pm

Today I went to Sportsmans to buy a RNT Original in Smoke. Unfortunately, the display model was the only one they had. I would not rather buy a display model (at least not a full price). However, the person who attended me was a young lady that I have seen there prior and may be in some managerial position. She was very friendly and cordial. She looked up the other store(s) in the state and said it is posible to buy from the other stores and they can ship it to me. I declined but was impress with her willness to help.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby ninja99 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:05 am

The Sportsmans warehouse here in Las Cruces and the one in Abq. are like day and night. Just bought a new muzzleloader today for an elk hunt. Everyone at the gun counter was very helpful. I had a couple of guys chipping in and helping me pick one out. Here, you walk up to the gun counter and everyone offers to help you. You do that in Abq. and they just look at you like you just shot their dog or something.
ninja99
hunter

Postby hellion » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:53 am

You know...Sportsmans has done a lot for this town, and helped lower prices. To this day, it's really the only truly affordable place to buy guns. But I'm pissed at that place, because I forgot what it was like when it first opened, I forgot what the shelves looked like stocked. That is until I went to the one up in Denver, they had all kinds of crap we don't have. The place was packed to the brim, full of even more stuff!
hellion
hunter

Took my money else-where

Postby duckahlr » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:23 am

I went in last week to buy some decoys. I was planning on spending about $300 or so. I asked the saleman if he could get these decoys for me and he did. One set was missing 6 heads. They could not find them so I offered to buy the decoys anyway at a discounted price. The department manager refused to sell the decoys and then would not wait on me anymore.
I was there a little over an hour so I decided not to buy any of the other decoys that I had in the cart.
Now i'm not mad because they wouldn't sell the decoys but the customer service was terrible. So I bought all of my decoys from Macks online. Not only did I get free shipping but they also threw in a free knife. :thumbsup: I would rather support the local guys but I ended up saving money buying online. Just one reason why that place get's a bad rep.
duckahlr
hunter

Postby xdsscout » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am

If there are any issues with Sportsmans here in Las Cruces, it's that they refuse to stay up to date in the waterfowl section. We do have a waterfowl section, but its small and they do not carry the top brands and are behind in the duck call area too. As far as being rude, I've never had a problem and have always been treated great. Now that I said that, some nub will end up being a jerk, lol. :biggrin:
xdsscout
hunter

Postby topper60fe » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:20 pm

the gun counter in ABQ....should be F I R E D, and i'm not sure it's all of them or just a couple. But there are several folks that rock...the lady that works the range finder/gps /bino area and another guy in there, (think he may have been in charge) . I also had real good luck a guy that worked the backpack stuff.
Now as i right this email i think about other places in the store that kicked butt....boots, camping and the archery guys were ok. So to boil the whole thing down... fire 2 guys (and you know which ones) at the gun counter and the IQ and customer service will double.

Topper
topper60fe
hunter

Postby afsfjohnson64 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:34 am

i agree with topper on this i went in today and asked one of the guys about ordering a sx3 and he told me winchester didnt make shotguns anymore.... are you serious!
USAF Security Forces
afsfjohnson64
hunter

Re: You're Fired, Sportsmans Warehouse!

Postby bluewing77 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:10 am

:bump:
bluewing77
hunter

Re: You're Fired, Sportsmans Warehouse!

Postby ajmorell » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:50 am

bluewing77 wrote::bump:

That place still sucks. If I go in there it's because I need something and can't wait to have it shipped to me.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting