How is the 05-06 Season Going?

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

How is the 05-06 Season Going?

Postby carlschmarl2 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:52 pm

just wondering how everyone's season is going so far. we went up north to massena to hunt the wilson hill wma on opening weekend a in the northern zone and didn't see as many birds as in past years. the dec officers said that the kill numbers for that weekend were much lower that in the past. this weekend was our opening weekend and we didn't have much luck. even the different guys in the area that i have talked to didn't have the birds this weekend either. the ducks don't seem to be flying in the great numbers. whats everyone's take on the lower numbers so far this year? is it something to do with the huricanes...weather realated?...lower populations?
"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
carlschmarl2
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:09 pm

It’s been so so, with all this water we have, the fields are flooded, and all the ponds are full, they can be anywhere. I’ve notice that some are full of corn when they come to roost I hope that’s the case, and not that their numbers are down, that would stink.

Saturday was a strange one; the only thing that came into my decoys was a doe and fawn. I was hunting a sand bar, and they came running out about 20yds down from me, and didn’t stop until they were standing in the middle of my decoys. I knew right then and there it wasn’t going to be a good day. lol

Yesterday was better. I went for a night hunt, and the river was filled with broadies. The thing is I took only mallard and goose decoys. The broadies just wouldn’t come in that last 10yrd, but by the end of the day I ended up with 2 drake mallards, 1 drake black duck, 1 drake gadwall, and a pair of broadies and one of the mallards had a leg band, over all it was a good day. OH, and I got soaked to the bone, but that’s duck hunting. lol

So today I filled my boat with broadbill decoys and I went to the same spot, in hopes that it would be a repeat of yesterday, WRONG same bind, same wind, but no birds, at lease broadies. I didn’t take my goose decoys and that’s all that flew, but that’s duck hunting. lol :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

05 so far

Postby Dep666 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:42 pm

870 you know most of my action so far. Yesterday was a little of the same. Lots and Lots of honkers. geez probably more geese than Ive seen in years. Lots and Lots of hunting pressure. I had to shag a couple of guys out of the field. " Yea I got permission".....Me- " really what's the guy's name who gave it to you?" ....." well I forgot, but he did give me permission." .....Me- "Wrong answere bud....Find another place to hunt." Man the balls some guys have! Anyway pretty much a regular day except I was alittle disappointed with the duck harvest. Oh well thats hunting! I'm trying to free up some time to do a little duck and deer smack down up in the Cape.....I'll keep ya posted. As far as the field hunting.. probably at a stand still for a while. Almost sank the 4 wheeler all the way to hell in that mud. Its not worth rutting up some farmers field just to go out and shoot some birds. Just changed my work hours to 0600 to 1400. Might have to get in an evening hunt. Good luck fellas........
Dep666
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:38 pm

We've seen a lot of ducks at some of our spots, but I'm having trouble getting them into the decoys. I've got more BW's this year than anything else. I'm trying to find a new job, so thats taking up all my time and gas money that usually goes towards hunting. There were alot of guys at our spot for the western opener, but now that its passed It'll be us and this one other group of guys for the rest of the season, just like last year. It seems like the guys in the swamps are doing alright.

I've got geese flying over my house by the hundreds, but it's a clay road to get back to the field I hunt, and with all this rain I'll just end up burying my truck.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby 870 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:03 pm

Hey CLUTCHfan, good luck on the job hunt, I wish you the best , and I wish you even more luck on quack wacken. :thumbsup:

I have the same thing, geese come off the corn fields down my road at night heading for the river to roost. I've thought of hideing behind the chimny,(sp?) thing is, I live on the main drag leading into town, I could just see the headlines "SWAT called in and team takes down sniper off of roof top" :toofunny:

MATT, do you think the foot print you left on the seat of the old boys waders came off easy "It's MATTs first attempt Ladys and Gentlemen of kicking a trespasser from his hunting spot this year.....He plants his foot soundly,... it looks good, he has the distance... yes, yes..... ladys and gentleman, the trespasser lands on the other side of the road, clearly on the other side of his pickup, the score is MATT French 1, trespassers 0"
:thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:20 pm

I don't understand how people can go and hunt land they don't have permission to be on. I have never had a problem getting permission to hunt private land, especially farmers fields for geese. I think some people are just to lazy to ring a doorbell. Also, if someone doesn't give me permission, no big deal, the guy next door probably will. Most of the farmers I know that don't hunt geese WANT people to kill geese on their property. I do love telling people to pack up and get lost though.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Tresspassers

Postby Dep666 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:23 pm

Well it all started by a group of guys making hunting videos on this property. The owner of the field, who happened to build my house, saw the video at an outddos sho and siad" Oh hell no......NO more Videos on my property." He even told me I was deaded on hunting there. After a few months of assuring him that I would be reponsible for the property, he told me to post it up and keep everyone off it. Well I'm not real enthused about kicking guys off property, but just like the old saying..." A few bad apples spoiled the bunch." Needless to say the property is posted up tighter than a snare drum. I'd like to see someone walk out there now. One step and you sink all the way to hell. Good luck fellas
Dep666
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting