Rochester Area

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Rochester Area

Postby RunNgun870 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:42 pm

Hey guys, I'm in Rochester, Monroe county and am looking to scout out areas along the shoreline for the upcoming second season. I was wondering if there was any public lands close by with Lake access besides Braddoks Bay. Is there any around Sodus? Also I was wondering if anyone on the board has tried drift hunting on Lake Ontario for divers? I was reading a bit about it on another site and was curious if that would work around here and if anyone had any tips. I'm a relatively new hunter and looking for other ideas besides hunting from shore.
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Gregg
RunNgun870
hunter

Late Season

Postby Dep666 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:32 pm

Well the first thing is , don't even think about launchinmg out of the genesse. The coaties will have you tied up with and inspection just to break your balls. Irondequoit bay has a couple of good spots. Kinda need a boat. The problem is , that most of the bays will be frozen up. I suspect that they may even be frozen up before the split opens. Braddocks is a complete joke. There are entirely too many guys who hunt it and it gets a TON of pressure. The areas along Lake Ontarion state parkway are iffy. The most you might get are some Goldeneyes or Buffies. The place to be is in the fingerlakes. Honeyoye, Caneseus are the two that stand out. Lots of redheads. Just watch the ice conditions, and if I was searching for a place to hunt on the opener, I-Bay, or the Fingers would be my target areas.
Dep666
hunter

Thanks Matt!

Postby RunNgun870 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:10 am

Thanks Matt, I'll have to scout around more! Appreciate the advice...have you ever had any luck with the Lake Shore Marsh area up and around Sodus by any chance? Either way it lookslike I need to get myself a layout boat of some kind...
:thumbsup:
RunNgun870
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting