new to the area

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

new to the area

Postby harvey1b » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:11 pm

Hey everyone,

I just moved to Syracuse from Wyoming and want to do some waterfowling. I have a dog, but no boat and I have no idea where to look other than the gazeteer. I feel like I am going to be re-inventing the wheel some here and I am looking for suggestions of where to look. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
harvey1b
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:07 pm

harey1b :welcome: to the area Sorry I can't help ya down there a pit south for me, but there are some great guys down your way I know will be willing to help out. :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Areas

Postby Dep666 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:32 pm

I really don't know the syracuse area that well. I usually drive 1 hr to get to my spots. I really hate the local scene around Rochester. Real competitive and to be honest I'm sick of all the games some of the "Fair weather hunters" play..........All I can say is trespassers!

Anyway this won't help you for this year, but Montezuma refuge is supposed to be the Jammy as far as puddlers and geese. Anywhere around Cayuga lake is pretty good. The late season honker slaughter is pretty impressive.

Back to montezuma......You need a Duck ID certificate , and a canoe/johnboat...somthing Without a motor. You call in on specific days are are given a parking area #. You show up on the hunting day and canoe anywhere in the marsh you want. Man that place is huge! From what I hear, the birds were there and a few of my buddies layed the smackdown.

Canandiagua lake is real good in the late season(You have to have a boat). When most every other body of water is frozen, Canandiagua stays open. Deep as hell. Lots and lots of divers. Just a little funny hunting in front of multimillion dollar houses.

Sodus bay has some state land in the back of the bay. I have never hunted this paticular spot of the bay, but the location of this spot looked real good. A funny note is There is one less coyote there.....Smoked one last January when I was predator hunting this piece.

Areas I would avoid like the plague........Perch River :thumbsup:(Right 870?), Braddocks bay(Rochester) and Irondequoit bay. Those last two are totally overhunted. Ive hunted each of them before and I would have rather stayed home and slept in. Sure you can shoot birds, but who the hell needs to get out there at 0200 am just to get a spot. And who the hell needs a guy to Skybust the hell out of birds just 75 yards from your set up?

Your best bet to actually scout, get permission on private land and blindfold your buddies when you take them there.....Good luck.....
Dep666
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:00 am

thanks Matt. That is great. I started doing a little leg work last night and found 2 areas very close to my house, Hamlin Swamp and Cicero Swamp. Have you heard anything of either? They look like they could be pretty good and are within 10 miles of the city so access is nice. On the flip, I am a bit concerned that being so close they will be over hunted, as you suggest. I think the season is closed right now so that will give me time to pound the pavement and scout out some private access. How are land owners around here about access? In Wyoming they didn't care much about bird hunting, but if you were going for big game they wanted big $$$.

Thanks again,
Matt
harvey1b
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:10 pm

Send me a PM.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:53 pm

Usually, it's harder to find a spot that no other hunters have laid claim to, than to get permission. Most people up here don't charge to hunt their land, but I wouldn't bring it up when you talk to them and give them ideas. Right now the fair weather crowd are pretty much done for the season from what I've seen. If you are ever down by Cortland (40mins south of Syr.) stop in the DEC office down there, and they'll have a bunch of pamphlets on the different state lands in the area.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Getting permission

Postby Dep666 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:39 pm

It all depends......around where I live, it's getting really hard to find landowners to give out permission. I don't know if its because of the start of a few "guide" businesses or that the landowners just don't want to be bothered. Clutch was right.....Leave to cash out of the permission speal..Ive nere heard of those swamps you have mentioned. You might want to have a plan B , because the freeze is upon us and those swamps will be history.......Just hope for a milder December......
Dep666
hunter

Re: Getting permission

Postby CLUTCHfan » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:45 pm

Matt French wrote:.......Just hope for a milder December......

Ten degrees and snowing with a fifteen mile an hour wind would fit the bill nicely :yes: Oh yeah, the wind should be out of the northwest.
And maybe a little freezing rain and sleet mixed in.

Start scouting bigger or moving water. The hunting is going to start getting really good. I sent you another PM.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby carlschmarl2 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:55 pm

harvey1b,

my buddies and i checked out Hamlin Swamp and Cicero Swamp earlier this year...they were both heavily hunted...not sure how they will be second season though. we have hunted the perch river and wilson hill wma's first season and have always dealt with idiots. we hunt mostly private holes but come this time of year they are mostly frozen over and it gets tough. we are always looking for someone new to take out hunting...i will have to let you know in upcoming weekends what our plans are for the syracuse area....it never hurts to make a new friend, especially one who hunts!

carl
"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
carlschmarl2
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:25 pm

my hats off to you boys, I knew we had some outstanding DHC members out his way keep it up :salude:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:32 am

:withstupid: :getdown:

Thanks for all the responses. This is terrific. let me know when any of you guys need to fill a spot in your blind or can't talk anyone else into going out. As long as there's a season I'm in, and I don't mind a drive to get there.

Thanks again fellas! :thumbsup: :salude:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:43 pm

harvey1b, My season is about done. Next year if you don't mind the drive, you can always hunt with us. I'm about 1 1/2hrs north of you. :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Last day of the first season

Postby Dep666 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:11 pm

Well today was the last day of our first season......Can you say windburn? Man the blind I was assigned was facing west and you guessed it ....thge wind was cranking right in my mug all day! Managed a few G.E's and a bunch of greenheads. Say a few waves of bills and a couple flocks of Cans in the atmosphere. Other than that nothing to right home about. The split should be interesting.......Happy holidays fellas......
Dep666
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting