Hunting from boat over big water

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Hunting from boat over big water

Postby IRISH56 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:25 pm

This will be my 1st year hunting from a boat as opposed to the shoreline and I have a few questions. Where I will be hunting mostly is along the shores of Cayuga L. in the central part of the lake, no marshes to speak of and limited cover along the shore. First off - what camo pattern is best for this and should I bother brushing the blind with grass etc?? Secondly, how do you guys anchor and stabilize the boat with the normal wave action coming into shore??

I thought I was getting the hang of duck hunting but adding in the boat makes me feel like I'm starting over again. Any advice etc. on hunting open water from a boat would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:14 pm

Hey Dan, I don’t hunt that lake, but hunting out of a boat is pretty much the same all over the country. I run with my bout blind three anchors, one off the bow and two off the stern. This is to stop your blind working like a sale. I use three to four times the depth of the water of anchor line. This stops all the jerky movement with your boat; you want your boat to ride smooth with the waves no matter how big they are.

Now for you camo pattern, anyone will do, that’s up to you. It’s not a bad idea to brush up a little, but you shouldn’t over do it. You want to give a 3D look, again that’s up to you on how you want your boat to look. You want to blend in not stick out, so don’t over do it.

If your hunting divers out of your boat look for where they’re feeding, they’re the same as puddlers. They have their feeds and roost set up where they want to be, not where you want them to be.

I hope this helps :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:03 am

Watch launching on Cayuga. Some of the townships have no firearms policies for their boat ramps, and some local cops will try to ticket you for hunting depending on where you are. It's best to talk to a DEC officer before you hunt an area to see how the locals are in the areas you'll be hunting.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby IRISH56 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:27 pm

Thanks guys for the info.

870 - Bow or stern into the wind??

CLUTCH - do you know of any specific launches that could be a problem? I've never heard of any problems w/local law enforcement (I am one so I would have probably heard something) at the south/central launches. I will be checking with the local DEC officers though just to be sure.

Thanks again. DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:31 pm

CLUTCHfan wrote:Watch launching on Cayuga. Some of the townships have no firearms policies for their boat ramps, and some local cops will try to ticket you for hunting depending on where you are. It's best to talk to a DEC officer before you hunt an area to see how the locals are in the areas you'll be hunting.

How can they give you a ticket for hunting? That sounds like harrassment to me.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:54 pm

Dan, It’s always bow into the wind.

Also if you have trouble anchoring your boat and you finally get her to stay. You might want a good size bumper to snap onto your anchor line if you have to move for some reason, like going after a cripple.

Also you need the kind of anchors that a ring slides up and down on the anchor so that you can pull it from two different directions if it gets stuck on some thing.

When it comes to the length of your anchor lines it’s your bow that needs to be 3-4 times the depth of the water your hunting in. Your stern lines only need to be long enough to hold you in place, but at the same time not to short too make you look jerky. What I do is when I put them out I’ll adjust their lengths according to the spot I’m hunting.

Are you planning on using single or long lines? Also are you going after puddlers or divers?
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby IRISH56 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:11 pm

870 - We'll be hunting both, mainly mallards & blacks early season and then combination spreads, heavy on the divers, later on. We'll be running longlines with the divers.

DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:04 pm

Cool :thumbsup:

Dan, will your blind have some kind of top? Blacks and later on the Mallards will be looking for you. Or will you be tucked up under some trees?
State Moderator

Postby IRISH56 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:12 pm

Yet to be determined. We're still tryin' to figure out the best way to go, commercial blind or build our own. We're leaning towards a commercial blind - just trying to decide which best suits our needs & budget.

I've been scouting out some likely hunting locales while laker fishing. It looks like we'll be able to "tuck in" in some spots where others we'll need some good concealment.

I think I saw a pic of your boat somehwere on here. Nice looking rig - no top though???

DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:17 pm

Most of my puddler hunting is done on flat shoals and rocky shorelines I don’t do much marsh hunting. If you try to use a boat blind there no matter how good it is they will flare. I love to hunt the most God forsaken places, where the ducks feel the safest.

I park my boat down the shoreline and lay in the rocks or I use one of my layout boats I’ve built. For me it’s low profile and good camo.

I use my boat blind mostly for diver that’s where my heart is; I love to hunt those divers.
I hunt the St Lawrence and Lake Ontario.

I took a friend one time, we were going after Black ducks he asked where our bind was. I told him “yours is out in those rocks” he said, “I cant see it” all it was, was a 2x4 wedged between two rocks. I told him to lay still. After he had a great hunt he said he needed to buy better camo.

heres what I'm talking about
State Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:13 am

I don't know all the specifics, but I was told there is a no firearms policy on boat launches in Lansing. And also on the south end at Ithaca you can launch a boat in one spot, but there are both horsepower restrictions, and no gun laws.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby IRISH56 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:43 pm

Clutch - Thanks for the info.. I'll have to look into those - I slip my fishing boat at the Town Park in Lansing during the summer and have never heard anything about it. The south end, Treman, is a state run facility so I'll check with the Parks Police.

As much as I'd like to say I doubt there'll be a problem I've also lived in this county for long enough to know the bunny & tree huggers rule and they don't like guns or hunters much.

Have any of you seen the bumper sticker "Ithaca NY, 10 sq. miles surrounded by REALITY"???? It is sooooo the truth. :toofunny:

Thanks again. DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:23 pm

Yeah Irish, I saw that sticker and found it quite funny also. That town park in Lansing is the one that doesn't allow guns. However, just north of the Salmon Creek is state land and you can have guns (and hunt) there. It's a gravel shoreline there and you may be able to launch with 4WD. Or I've heard of guys launching at the town park without guns and picking up their buddy with the guns over at the State Land.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:15 pm

I have heard of people doing that, but also heard just a few weeks ago that the city of Ithaca has leased the state land (some 25 year lease if what I heard was correct). If this is true, then they won't allow firearms in the park. Like I said, this is just what I heard, but it was from pretty reliable people. They keep this stuff up, and I'll start a blockade on Granola entering the city. One week with no Granola and I'll have the city of Ithaca on it's knees. He who controls the Granola controls the world :thumbsup:
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby harvey1b » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:35 am

:laughing:

Are you gonna get a line on stopping patuli oil, insence, and bongo drums? Combine that with the granola and the world might stop turning in Ithaca.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:10 am

This is a picture from when I went undercover, behind enemy lines in Ithaca. I can't say which government agency I was working for, but my work resulted in a catastophic failure of hemp distribution. :tounge: That little dog to the right was my partner "chopper", he's really a German Shepherd.

And to those who've met me in person, Yes, I find tie-dye to be quite slimming.

Back to reality.......I'll be talking to a guy that will know what the deal is with it next week and will find out for sure.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Funny

Postby Dep666 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:25 pm

Now that was funny..............All you guys have to do is break out the Dead CD's, a batch of "funny" brownies and go un-showered for a couple of weeks. Oh yea and you guys better have some of those womes with you....you know the kind....Dirty toes with berkenstocks, long greasy hair, and speaking of hair............Holy pits and does she have Don King in a scissors hold? :toofunny:
Dep666
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:48 pm

OMG CLUTCHfan if you show up to my house looking like that to hunt, I'll try to hold Max back :laughing:

Matt GD ROCKS :getdown: :getdown: long live tie die
State Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:15 pm

Sorry guys, I'm out of that phase..........now I want to be a rapper.

Those aren't gang signs, I actually lost four fingers and both thumbs when I got some of my "Bling" caught in my spinning rims. I had the coolest Ford Festiva in New York state though, so it was worth it.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby IRISH56 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:52 pm

Boy you guys really know Ithaca!!!!! The property to the North of Myers Park is called UC Point and I believe it is slated to be developed by the T. of Lansing to extend the park. A hand launch, a real roadway and walking trail and eventually a bridge from the existing park to UC Point over Salmon Creek.

I'm gonna be getting in touch with Lansing Parks & Rec shortly to find out what the deal is. Firearms aren't allowed in State Parks also but there is hunting in some. I have a feeling the spirit of the law is to avoid firearms but during hunting season it may be a different story if they are for the purposes of hunting and properly handled. My buddies at the Parks Police all say the same thing - no problems unless you're being an idiot :withstupid:

CLUTCH - I think I arrested that guy ... and his dog :getdown:

We'll see. DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting