New York Hunting License for Waterfowl

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

New York Hunting License for Waterfowl

Postby Capt. Taco » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:04 pm

I am new to New York after having moved to NYC from Louisiana.
I would like to hunt ducks and geese during the upcoming season and I am not sure about which hunting licenses that are required for the state of New York.

I have purchased a Federal Duck Stamp and I am HIP certified in New York.

I attempted to purchase a hunting license on line from the State of New York and was unsuccessful since I had not purchased a license on line previously. This makes a lot of sense.

I live in the Bronx and there are no sporting goods stores or hunting stores in the area.

I have downloaded the forms to purchase a hunting license form the Department of Environmental Conservation.

My question is what licenses do I need to purchase?

I believe that I would need a Small/Big Game license.

However, I do not see a New York Waterfowl Stamp on the form.

What exactly should I purchase?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Capt. Taco
Newb

Postby VTduckman » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:06 pm

i am not sure but

- i think you need small game or some kind of upland stamp

-no new york stamp

-need a fedral stamp

then your all set.
i think.
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:18 am

You'll have to take in either a certificate from a hunters safety course, or an old Hunting license (one from LA should work), to a town clerks office, or another place that sells hunting licenses. You'll also have to take proof that you have been a resident for 30 days. You'll need photo ID. You either need a Small game license, or the Sportsman license (this one covers large and small game, and fishing) I think ther are some fishing stores in some of the Boroughs down there (Orvis, LL Bean, etc) if they sell fishing licenses they can sell you your hunting license. I live in CNY and generally go to my Town Clerks Office just because they generally know all the rules and I don't have to worry aout some idiot clerk screwing things up. If you've got a current license and your Fed stamp and Hip number you're legal. I don't think you can get your first one online, because they need to see photo ID and a past license of some sort to get you into the system.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby 870 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:42 pm

:welcome: to DHC Capt. Taco you will find this a great place to hang out in, it's filled with great guys looking to help you out.

I can't add any more to what CLUTCHfan has said, that pretty much covers it.

Good luck :salude:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Thanks!!

Postby Capt. Taco » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:01 pm

Clutch and 870,

Thanks for the information and the Welcome! That's the information I needed. I do have proof of residency for greater than 30 days and I also have a certificate from a Hunter Safety Course. I will go to a local sporting goods store with my photo ID and get a license.

What might be some good areas to start scouting for hunting this season?

I have an 18 foot aluminum boat, dog, decoys, and all other gear. I thought Long Isand Sound and the Great South Bay might be good to look at for this year.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

thanks!
Capt. Taco
Newb

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:11 am

Unfortunately I can't really help with hunting spots by you. I'm way north of NYC, near Syracuse. And 870 is way further north than I am. I would see if you could talk with one of your local DEC officers. Alot of times they'll be able to steer you in the right direction, and give you a couple spots to try. They'll also be able to give you some info on some of the townships down on LI. I've heard it has gotten a little rough to hunt in some spots down there, and that there were a few towns who try to dissuade people from hunting in their areas. You can find out where the DEC office near you is is the hunting syllabus I believe, and it'll also have the phone numbers of the DEC officers for your area which is good to have in case you run into any Anti's, local law enforcement, and poachers.

Where in LA are you from?
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby harvey1b » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:11 am

:welcome:

Welcome to the site senior taco! i don't know much about duck hunting down near the city, but I am sure it is there. Sorry I can't be much help.

Good luck down there.
harvey1b
hunter

Thanks!!!

Postby Capt. Taco » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:30 pm

Harvey and Clutch,

Thanks for the information! Right on. I will get in touch with a DEC officer from Long Island and see what information I can get. I am also going to attend a number of DU events and waterfowl events this fall and see what is going on locally.

I lived in New Orleans and in North Louisiana as well. I left right after Katrina and moved from North Louisiana to NYC.

I have hunted waterfowl all over Louisiana for over 10 years and have also hunted a fair amount in Arkansas. If I can help anybody with information regarding Louisiana or Arkansas just let me know.

This website has helped me out a good bit.

Thanks!
Capt. Taco
Newb

Postby watchman34 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:43 pm

good luck Mr.Taco
I Love goose and duck hunting.
these guys and gals have helped me out a lot with my questions.I've learned so much that this year is going to be more exciting than last year.
locked cocked and ready to rock! TEAM BROOME COUNTY
Now and then a bird flies into my steel shot.
watchman34
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:55 pm

Capt. Taco dont listen to 870 all they shoot is trash ducks. :toofunny: :laughing: :laughing:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby 870 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:50 pm

smack ..... what are you talking about, their not trash ducks, those are just small snow's :toofunny: and is it my fault they decoy the best around land fills.... Man they come in by the thousands :eek: :laughing:

Hey smack, if he can make the move up here so can you :getdown: :getdown:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:26 pm

Its strange that you say that. My partner has been talking of moving to Kentucky and wondered If I could ever move. I really dont know, maybe one day at least kentucky would be half way there. :laughing:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby bklyn hunter » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:34 pm

taco i live in brooklyn and all you need is a fedral duck stamp,small /big lic.you can go to dicks,walmart,any sporting good store try yonkers or westchester also.if you fish and bow hunt then get the super sportsman or sportsman and it comes with turkey stamp and muzzle loader.
bklyn hunter
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting