NYS Pistol Permit

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:37 pm

I have my paperwork and was thinking about sending it in.
Beyond the papers, what's the procedure?
I have a clean record, not even traffic stops. Geed references, good job etc....
Why do people NOT get one?
How long does it take...other unforeseen issues etc..

thanks
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby reeltime » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:56 pm

Slack,

not sure where I read it but I recall reading recently that having your references paperwork noterized helps with the process.
Lee
reeltime
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:06 pm

Welcome to the forum and thanks.
Wouldn't the notary just be confirming the signature of the reference? They can't certify that I'm a good applicant....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:54 pm

You know it won't be a carry permit right? You will just be able to own one and take it to the range/have it in your house.
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby Dep666 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:21 pm

When I got my permit quite a few years ago, there were 2 types of permits.....One for Target shooting and one for conceal carry....If you plan on using it for conceal carry and personal protection, make sure you put it on your application. I have heard of Judges that put stipulations on permits like " Target shooting only." Takes about 6 - 8 months.

The screwed up thing is, If i were to travel to NYC, My New York State conceal carry pistol permit is not valid and I could be arrested for CPW......What a bunch of crap!
:mad:
Dep666
hunter

Postby reeltime » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:25 pm

slack, yeah I think thats the idea behind it, because they have to show id to the notary so that helps verify
the references.

good luck with it.
Lee
reeltime
hunter

Postby mwc4fishing » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:31 pm

submitted my application in August (Suffolk) and have yet to hear from them. Every document needs to be notorized, including the references you submit. My first attempt got bounced because one of my references worked for the Sheriff's dept. No 'Peace Officers' are authorized to be personal references. Once you have all you paperwork completed, you go in, get fingerprinted, pay the application fee (certified check) and then you wait...
mwc4fishing
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:42 pm

Last I heard, they have to issue or deny withing six months. Regarding the pistol permit, I think it's a good idea if we all got one. One of the things that they changed is that you do not have to own a pistol to have a permit. What this does is pre-approves you for a long arm purchase. In other words, if you have a pistol permit, you are not subject ti a NICs report and can pich up a long arm with no delay whatsoever. Personally, I see no point in a pistol, particularly given the restrictions that Suffolk County PD illegally (as far as I kno) impose. But the fact that it is useful for purchasing long arms is intriguing.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:32 pm

sssurfertim wrote:You know it won't be a carry permit right? You will just be able to own one and take it to the range/have it in your house.

I have no interest in carrying one, dragging around my lap cannon is hard enough! :biggrin:

Frank-
I agree that everyone should put in their papers, when you can't one day, you'll regret it.

When you talk about a target permit etc... does that mean that you have to buy a gun and leave it at a range?
How do you legally transport one from house to range and back? Lockbox and trunk?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Dep666 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:52 pm

Basically you are allowed to have it at your house...allowed to take it to a range in a locked container....you cannot have it on your person at all.......pointless if you ask me.....another thing to remember, if you are at a range with your buddy, you cannot shoot his handgun unless its on your permit....dumb rule, but the law is the law.
Dep666
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:56 pm

Wow..that sounds really retarded....
Here's another one.
As for notarizing the papers of my references....What papers? All I downloaded was a form that said to have people sign the ap vouching for me??
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby redheads&greenheads » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:21 pm

good luck! I am in the process of getting a shotgun permit in NYC. turned in all my paperwork about a month ago and no word yet. fingers crossed.
--------------------------
"When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
-Aldo Leopold
redheads&greenheads
hunter

Postby GREGS » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:23 pm

Wow are you guys from Canada or something ? :sad:
GREGS
hunter

Postby pangborn83 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:36 pm

Something I bet you already know is permits are done by county. Basically what I am getting at is that different counties have different procedures to obtain your permit. My county of residence does not require any notarization of references. We have to take a class (basic safety). In my county the big thing is to make sure all references have been mailed to the pistol permi clerks office before making an appointment to be finger printed or they will not accept your application and print you (have to make another appointment and take another day off work). My understanding on a restricted permit is that you can transport a pistol on your way to the range and home. I have heard in buffalo that there is gun ranges that are open 24/7 and that if you buy a membership you get a card and that is sufficient proof of heading to the range not sure if it is true or not. My county is very good about giving unrestricted permits unless they think there is a reason. If I were you I would call the clerks office and ask what the proper procedure is. Good luck
pangborn83
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:47 pm

As usual Frank is making up stories,You cant have a handgun permit without owning a handgun.It dont work like that. If you get rid of your handguns they suspend your license,dont ask how I know this...Join the freeport 24hr range and you can carry it in nassau.I had a full carry but had to give it up when my family sold their business and i could not show weekly deposits.
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:50 pm

wackemstackem wrote:As usual Frank is making up stories,You cant have a handgun permit without owning a handgun.It dont work like that. If you get rid of your handguns they suspend your license,dont ask how I know this...Join the freeport 24hr range and you can carry it in nassau.I had a full carry but had to give it up when my family sold their business and i could not show weekly deposits.

This is not correct. I have a CCL and I do not own a pistol. You don't need to own a pistol in order to have you Pistol Permit. I've had mine for years and still have no firearms on it.

Slack,

I applied for mine and it took almost 6 months on the dot. I even carry a Top Secret clearance for work, and it still took a long time. Maybe it is because I went full conceal, maybe not, but it still took almost the max. Here in St. Lawrence county, you have to pay for the application itself, which they give you a packet at the county clerk office. I think it was $90 for the application and $250 once I was approved for the actual permit. They give you an ID showing what level of carry you have and your address/occupation/photo. Then they give you another card with all of your handguns on it, whenever you put one onto it.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:31 am

I think the confusion between posts is because of counties. I could certainly understand (while not agree) that Nassau county and a much more rural upstate county would have different restrictions.
Keep the posts coming...I'm filing out my papers.

Back to the notary topic...
On this form there are 4 bars, one for each reference and their signature.
What would they notarize? That they are who they say they are? How would that benefit me or prove anything?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:21 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
wackemstackem wrote:As usual Frank is making up stories,You cant have a handgun permit without owning a handgun.It dont work like that. If you get rid of your handguns they suspend your license,dont ask how I know this...Join the freeport 24hr range and you can carry it in nassau.I had a full carry but had to give it up when my family sold their business and i could not show weekly deposits.

This is not correct. I have a CCL and I do not own a pistol. You don't need to own a pistol in order to have you Pistol Permit. I've had mine for years and still have no firearms on it.

Slack,

I applied for mine and it took almost 6 months on the dot. I even carry a Top Secret clearance for work, and it still took a long time. Maybe it is because I went full conceal, maybe not, but it still took almost the max. Here in St. Lawrence county, you have to pay for the application itself, which they give you a packet at the county clerk office. I think it was $90 for the application and $250 once I was approved for the actual permit. They give you an ID showing what level of carry you have and your address/occupation/photo. Then they give you another card with all of your handguns on it, whenever you put one onto it.

Not in nassau,you can also legally carry in nassau and I cant.Rural counties hand out ccw's in nassau you have to prove reason,and or show you deposit cash or jewles on a regular basis.I know of guys that own homes in sullivan county and get a ccw there.They can carry everywhere but NYC..I know firsthand you can not be licensed in nassau with no weapons.

Slack your references have to prove they are who they say they are hence the notorie,
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby Edwards » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:15 am

Had my permit for over a yr without owning one. But I'm located in western ny. Took 3 months.
Western ny. Poorest county highest taxes
Edwards
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:12 am

Eric Haynes wrote:

Slack,

Maybe you need ot have a boat to get a pistol license in Nassau?! :huh: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Slack, NYS pistol licenses are licenses, not permits. As such, they are subject to regulation by the NYS legislature. There is only ONE type of pistol license in NY, full carry. However, a qualifying issuing agency can also add restrictions such as premisis only or range and hunting only. A qualifying issuing agency is one that has asked for the abilty to add these restrictions and been approved by the legislature. That's the catch. Any agency that has not recieved specific permission to attach these restrictions not only may not do so, but if they do, they are in direct violation of state law. The last I checked, and it's been at least ten years, SCPD does not have the legislature's permission. As I said, it's been a while, so they may have it now. The other odd thing is that Suffolk County has two issuing agencies. In the towns from Riverhead east, pistol licensing is handled by the SC Sherif'f's department. Brom Brookhaven west, it's SCPD.

One other thing about the pistol license. Since it is a license and not a permit, it can only be revoked by judicial order. You can contact S.A.F.E. for more information.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:22 am

Frank,I have a relative that has been in charge of the pistol dept for 5 or 6 years...Nassau county will not allow you to have a license with no guns. Period...
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:44 pm

Don't you find that strange??
John Entwhistle from the Who was a HUGE collector of classic English cars and didn't have a driver's license....
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:32 pm

I got mine many years ago in upstate ....took 1 full year! They found out the clerk was sitting on the Apps. She was fired. Now they are giving out Laminated permits, mine is paper and in shreds, gotta get it updated :lol3:
Thinking of trying for Carry/Concel
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Re: Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:54 pm

labtrainer wrote:I got mine many years ago in upstate ....took 1 full year! They found out the clerk was sitting on the Apps. She was fired. Now they are giving out Laminated permits, mine is paper and in shreds, gotta get it updated :lol3:
Thinking of trying for Carry/Concel

Mine is actually plastic, like a drivers license.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby jeepman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:32 am

Frank Lopez wrote:Slack, NYS pistol licenses are licenses, not permits. As such, they are subject to regulation by the NYS legislature. There is only ONE type of pistol license in NY, full carry. However, a qualifying issuing agency can also add restrictions such as premisis only or range and hunting only. A qualifying issuing agency is one that has asked for the abilty to add these restrictions and been approved by the legislature. That's the catch. Any agency that has not recieved specific permission to attach these restrictions not only may not do so, but if they do, they are in direct violation of state law. The last I checked, and it's been at least ten years, SCPD does not have the legislature's permission. As I said, it's been a while, so they may have it now. The other odd thing is that Suffolk County has two issuing agencies. In the towns from Riverhead east, pistol licensing is handled by the SC Sherif'f's department. Brom Brookhaven west, it's SCPD.One other thing about the pistol license. Since it is a license and not a permit, it can only be revoked by judicial order. You can contact S.A.F.E. for more information.

That is exactly right. I live in clinton county and was told by the county clerk who issued me my license that if i were going to carry for any reason to carry concealed. It took me about 18 months back in 02, but i had a deployment to Afghanistan in the middle of the process. now the state police who conduct the background investigations and interviews up here contract out to a private firm to expidite to process. it only took my buddy 4 months to get his.
jeepman
hunter

Next

Return to New York Duck Hunting