NYS Pistol Permit

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Leaky-NY » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:10 am

A lot of it varies county by county. When I got mine I was told it could take up to 65 months, and i found out the sheriff sat on all apps until day 179. At 181 it would have been issued automaticly then. I had plenty of references and was asked if I had been military and had a security clearnce. Told them yes I had a Nato Top Secert clerk said all my checks would be done by 5 days. I finally got a call on day 176 that my permit was granted. Keep track of the time you're into it.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:56 pm


Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby peteyg2 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:44 am

There is no such thing as a concealed carry permit in Nassau. The different levels are target / hunting, business, law enforcement, etc. It's all on the Nassau PD website if intersted. I posted a long explanation in the past.

If you have the lowest level (hunting / target) you are allowed to carry, loaded, to and from a range, or to and from hunting. It has to be carried concealed.

From what I know about you Slack, it's the only permit you will qualify for, unless you are carrying large sums of cash for the school, or are moonlighting as an armored car guard.

But, if you get the permit, you can carry it loaded, as long as concealed, to and from a range, or to and from hunting. The exception is passing into or through NYC. Then you cannot.

Why doesn't everyone apply? It's a giant goat rope that I'm not sure I care to engage. Once you get a permit, you have to find a pistol you want to buy. You then go talk to the dealer. Then, when you decide to purchase, you take a purchase order to PD HQ. After that you get the pistol from the dealer. After that you bring it back to PD HQ to have it check-in. BTW, PDHQ only does so during the week. For me, to purchase one pistol, I'd have to take off, conservatively, 5 days of work, between application, finger printing, interview, purchase order, serial check, etc. And, you have to reapply every 5 years. Not as extensive, but still more fees and more trouble.

I'll stick with shotguns, rifles, and bows.

Hope this helps.

Pete
Last edited by peteyg2 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peteyg2
hunter
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:48 am

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby peteyg2 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:49 am

http://www.police.co.nassau.ny.us/pdf/I ... %20_2_.pdf


1. Target/Hunting License
A Carry License, which is stamped Target restricts the licensee to carrying a loaded firearm to and from a range for recreational or competitive shooting, or for hunting, where legal in New York State, (valid NYS Hunting License also needed) except when traveling through New York City. (See Traveling Thru New York City).
peteyg2
hunter
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:48 am

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:16 pm

When you say concealed, you must mean in a box, in the trunk I guess right? You can't mean on your person???? If that were the case, why wouldn't I just carry it all the time and if I were stopped, I could say that I'm just on my way to the range?
As for hunting....hunting what? If I got a short .22 auto, could I carry it duck hunting? Why?
Sounds weird.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5135
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:06 pm

Slack Tide wrote:As for hunting....hunting what? If I got a short .22 auto, could I carry it duck hunting? Why?
Sounds weird.


No, that's actually a couple or three tickets waiting to happen. 1. Non toxic bullet. 2. Waterfowl MAY NOT be taken with a pistol. 3. discharge of a single projectile firearm for hunting purposes on Long Island is illegal. The notable exception to #3 is the January deer season. Because state law makes it illegal to use buckshot, a compromize needed to be reached to allow the use of slugs on Long Island. If you participate in the deer season, you need to obtain a permit from the town you will be hunting in that allows you to shoot slugs and or a muzzle loading rifle.

When concelement is specified with regard to handguns, it refers to conceled carry on one's person.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
User avatar
Frank Lopez
hunter
 
Posts: 2932
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Long Island New York

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:45 pm

I know all that Frank...that's why I was confused about what you could carry it "hunting" for???? Would I walk into the woods with it for squirrel hunting (presuming I was upstate etc)
I love the restriction about be allowed to wear it to the range with "no stops anywhere in between"...?? :no:
Why in the world would you do that?
The whole process sounds really F'd up
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5135
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:08 pm

Slack Tide wrote:I know all that Frank...that's why I was confused about what you could carry it "hunting" for???? Would I walk into the woods with it for squirrel hunting (presuming I was upstate etc)
I love the restriction about be allowed to wear it to the range with "no stops anywhere in between"...?? :no:
Why in the world would you do that?
The whole process sounds really F'd up


I don't know the regulations concerning LI and the no solid projectile rules, but up here, hunting is hunting. Pigeons are open 24/7, no night/day limit. I'm hunting 24/7.
Image
User avatar
Eric Haynes
hunter
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: St. Lawrence River, NY

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Slack Tide wrote:The whole process sounds really F'd up


:lol3: :lol3:

It is! It's the old "too many cooks" syndrome. The counties and local politicians think that gun control should be a local issue, while the state thinks it should be a state issue. When neither of them can accomplish what they set out to, they call for it as a national issue. I'm not sure what agencies are actually authorized to add restrictions to the license and which are not. As I said earlier it's been a while since I was involved in that. But I do know that a few years ago the state tried to consolidate things a bit. Before that the agencies were issuing licenses and stamping restrictions on them without any uniformity. If you read the .pdf that Pete referenced, most of the definitions comply with what the state came up with. One of the things that the state did was include some language about shall issue. Again, I'm not 100% sure, but as I recall they have 6 months to find a reason not to issue you a license. If they do not have any legitimate disqualifications, they must issue your license.

As far as hunting is concerned, the papers say "hunting", which is basically all encompassing. You cannot carry on LI, even when hunting, unless you have a concealed carry license. On the other hand, if you go upstate, you can carry whatever as long as you are hunting. You do not necessarily have to be engaged in big game hunting.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
User avatar
Frank Lopez
hunter
 
Posts: 2932
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Long Island New York

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:30 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:The whole process sounds really F'd up


:lol3: :lol3:

It is! It's the old "too many cooks" syndrome. The counties and local politicians think that gun control should be a local issue, while the state thinks it should be a state issue. When neither of them can accomplish what they set out to, they call for it as a national issue. I'm not sure what agencies are actually authorized to add restrictions to the license and which are not. As I said earlier it's been a while since I was involved in that. But I do know that a few years ago the state tried to consolidate things a bit. Before that the agencies were issuing licenses and stamping restrictions on them without any uniformity. If you read the .pdf that Pete referenced, most of the definitions comply with what the state came up with. One of the things that the state did was include some language about shall issue. Again, I'm not 100% sure, but as I recall they have 6 months to find a reason not to issue you a license. If they do not have any legitimate disqualifications, they must issue your license.

As far as hunting is concerned, the papers say "hunting", which is basically all encompassing. You cannot carry on LI, even when hunting, unless you have a concealed carry license. On the other hand, if you go upstate, you can carry whatever as long as you are hunting. You do not necessarily have to be engaged in big game hunting.

Frank

I'm about as far "up" as you are going to get in NY. While I don't carry often, I could if I wanted to with my CCL. I have never been questioned by anyone so far anyways, including troopers. As you said, hunting is hunting, not just big game. You can hunt any unprotected species with a firearm as long as you have a small game permit. Those species are able to be taken any time, day or night. With all that said, who is anyone to tell me I am not about to go hunting at any given time? There are ways around everything, and I am pretty sure it is worded the way it is worded for a reason.
Image
User avatar
Eric Haynes
hunter
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: St. Lawrence River, NY

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:59 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:[...who is anyone to tell me I am not about to go hunting at any given time?



While I agree with you, I think this is the reason that the wording is such that you cannot make any stops for any reason between your home and the range or the location of the hunt. If I recall correctly, it used to be that you could not carry the gun on your person loaded until you were actually engaged in hunting or at the range. The gun had to be transported unloaded and locked in a case until you arrived at the location. This is one of the things that they did to make things more uniform across the state.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
User avatar
Frank Lopez
hunter
 
Posts: 2932
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Long Island New York

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:28 am

Again, it all sounds convoluted and then you clearly have different rules for different counties.
So Frank, If I were on a tree stand on LI deer hunting with a bow...could I have my .22 short with me to pop a squirrel?
By saying that I cannot have it with me while duck hunting because it's not an approved method of hunting ducks tells me that their needs to be a match between what you are carrying and what you are hunting.??? :help:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5135
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby wackemstackem » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:44 am

No slack you cant have a firearm with you when bow hunting.A 24hr range is the only way to get around the target /premise/hunting stamp they put on your license.
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster
 
Posts: 3974
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:43 am
Location: Long Island

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:18 am

Then why add that "hunting" word to it? In case you had a side arm while hunting bear upstate or something?
I don't even want to carry, I'm just trying to understand the rules..thanks
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5135
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby peteyg2 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:43 am

People hunt bear, deer, coyote, etc. with a pistol. Just not on LI. So, you can be upstate and drive to the stand with a loaded / holstered pistol (as long as it's the season, etc.).

Yes, carry loaded, holstered, and concealed. If you carry open, you have broken the law.

You can load up the pistol, holster it, and drive to the range. Why not say you're on the way to the range? I suppose you can. But, you'll probably be arrested if the circumstances don't convice the cop that you are. I imagine the same will hold true when you try to convince the cop that stopped you in the parking lot of the local walmart that you are hunting, or on your way to hunting. "Pigeons are 24/7!" I like the spirit of it, but I assume most cops will not. Remember, you may beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride.

They've tried 24-hour ranges. The DA cracked down.
peteyg2
hunter
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:48 am

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Pete-
I agree... that's why I asked. I couldn't see an organization that is going to make you jump through hoops to get a permit, then provide you with all sorts of semantic loopholes to carry one.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5135
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:01 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Pete-
I agree... that's why I asked. I couldn't see an organization that is going to make you jump through hoops to get a permit, then provide you with all sorts of semantic loopholes to carry one.


It is your right. I can't see why you wouldn't have one, sorry. Not having one is just proving the point that if they make it hard to get one, they are stopping law abiding citizens from having guns. Just as good as a ban in my eyes. I see your point of view being in crappy counties, but I would still have one.
Image
User avatar
Eric Haynes
hunter
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: St. Lawrence River, NY

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby peteyg2 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:57 pm

I agree with you in theory, but it's just too much of a pain in the ass. Plus, shooting at a range does nothing for me. Been there, done that. Honestly, I don't even like using a firearm for deer. I only hunt with a bow. The only firearm I consistently shoot anymore is a shotgun.
peteyg2
hunter
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:48 am

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Dep666 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:25 pm

Just save yourself alot of issues....Apply for a CC permit...There ...your covered...end of story.....If your duck hunting, leave it home, of your bow hunting, leave it home. Just because you have a CC permit, doesn't mean you have to carry. CC will cover any reason you should have a handgun in your possession or on your person.
Dep666
hunter
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:51 am
Location: Rochester NY

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:Pete-
I agree... that's why I asked. I couldn't see an organization that is going to make you jump through hoops to get a permit, then provide you with all sorts of semantic loopholes to carry one.


It is your right. I can't see why you wouldn't have one, sorry. Not having one is just proving the point that if they make it hard to get one, they are stopping law abiding citizens from having guns. Just as good as a ban in my eyes. I see your point of view being in crappy counties, but I would still have one.


Not at all. I am not making a case to NOT get one, I AM in the process now....my point was just to discuss the odd language of the process and rights.
It seems that the municipalities are not thrilled with having to offer one at all, but short of changing the Constitution, they will only be able to crag their feet as a method of dragging it out.
Why those people (who don't really want you to have one anyway) would then provide you with all sorts of ways of getting around the rules (Oh, I was pigeon hunting at midnight, sorry, I was on my way to the 24 hour range!?!?) seemed strange to me and that's what I wanted to explore.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5135
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:31 pm

Dep666 wrote:Just save yourself alot of issues....Apply for a CC permit...There ...your covered...end of story.....If your duck hunting, leave it home, of your bow hunting, leave it home. Just because you have a CC permit, doesn't mean you have to carry. CC will cover any reason you should have a handgun in your possession or on your person.


Good idea but again, aren't there extreme conditions on a CC?? Like carrying lots of cash etc.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5135
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
Dep666 wrote:Just save yourself alot of issues....Apply for a CC permit...There ...your covered...end of story.....If your duck hunting, leave it home, of your bow hunting, leave it home. Just because you have a CC permit, doesn't mean you have to carry. CC will cover any reason you should have a handgun in your possession or on your person.


Good idea but again, aren't there extreme conditions on a CC?? Like carrying lots of cash etc.


If you get a license, it will be Concealed Carry. There is no open carry in NYS.
Image
User avatar
Eric Haynes
hunter
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: St. Lawrence River, NY

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Dep666 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:18 pm

Ok....Poor choice of words.....I meant get the permit for personal protection... I put personal protection, target shooting and hunting.......I have no restrictions on mine.....Its better to list em all, because you don't know what situation you may be in 5-10-20 years from now.....
Dep666
hunter
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:51 am
Location: Rochester NY

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby peteyg2 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:10 am

Slack Tide wrote:
Dep666 wrote:Just save yourself alot of issues....Apply for a CC permit...There ...your covered...end of story.....If your duck hunting, leave it home, of your bow hunting, leave it home. Just because you have a CC permit, doesn't mean you have to carry. CC will cover any reason you should have a handgun in your possession or on your person.


Good idea but again, aren't there extreme conditions on a CC?? Like carrying lots of cash etc.


You're not going to get one. You have to show good cause. Before someone makes an argument about family or personal protection, while I agree with you, that's not good cause in the eyes of the issuer in this case. If you've been stalked and threatened, are a DA, etc., maybe. That's "full carry." It's the highest level and I would imagine akin to winning the lottery.
peteyg2
hunter
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:48 am

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:20 am

This entire post started simply because I would hate for a day to come where someone tells me that I CANT get one, that would really bother me.
I would be perfectly happy with having one in a lock box in the house. I'd like to go tinker around a range once in a while just to get proficient and learn...but all this carry nonsense is not for me...I'm sure it's practical for others for sure.
I'm going to submit my papers soon and try to get all the footwork done this summer while I have off.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5135
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: NYS Pistol Permit

Postby bighillbilly » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:09 pm

I'm with you Slack. I have my papers in with the county (Erie) and am getting fingerprinted this Friday ($102.00). Then I wait. I didn't even try to make a cse for personal protection, etc. on th epermit application. I feel it is my right, but will not win that fight on an application, so I applied for what I really wanted which was hunting and target.

New to pistols and want to be counted among those that have them, but at this time in my life no need or desire to carry one around on my person unless hunting. My goal was to have everything completed by end of January so I can easily keep track of the number of months it takes to happen.

It is my understanding that if circumstances chnage and you have a need to carry for personal protection you can resubmit some paperwork and try at that time to get the less restricted permit.
bighillbilly
hunter
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:39 am

PreviousNext

Return to New York Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests