2012 Season

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

2012 Season

Postby woodies_and_greenies » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Hey Guys and Gals,

Just wanted to put up a video from I made from this season. We filmed with GoPros and I think it worked out pretty well. I put it on youtube and here is the link. Let me know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xCKll4iOic
woodies_and_greenies
hunter

Re: 2012 Season

Postby peteyg2 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:18 pm

I know I'll sound like a broken record since I posted this on another video, but I don't get the concept of shooting over a dog. Is this the thing to do now?

If you hunt with me, once the dog is on a retrieve, no shooting until he delivers to hand. I make an exception if you ask me to shoot a bird AND I agree and 1) signal him lay down remotely, at a safe distance, 2) you are shooting in the opposite direction of the dog and 3) I'm not shooting at that time . . .because I'm handling.

Am I the only one with this rule? Maybe this is commonplace and I'm the only one.
peteyg2
hunter

Re: Re: 2012 Season

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:48 pm

peteyg2 wrote:I know I'll sound like a broken record since I posted this on another video, but I don't get the concept of shooting over a dog. Is this the thing to do now?

If you hunt with me, once the dog is on a retrieve, no shooting until he delivers to hand. I make an exception if you ask me to shoot a bird AND I agree and 1) signal him lay down remotely, at a safe distance, 2) you are shooting in the opposite direction of the dog and 3) I'm not shooting at that time . . .because I'm handling.

Am I the only one with this rule? Maybe this is commonplace and I'm the only one.

Its not commonplace, its common sense. Would you shoot over a friends head? Maybe no one cares about the dogs hearing...and thats one of the lesser concerns about shooting over a dog.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:17 pm

That and it seemed like every bird that was shot was just crippled. Not going to lie, we have a cripple or two every hunt, but it just seemed to me like every bird that went down was still pretty lively.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:25 pm

peteyg2 wrote:I know I'll sound like a broken record since I posted this on another video, but I don't get the concept of shooting over a dog. Is this the thing to do now?

You are right peteyg2 (you too Eric) shooting while a dog is enroute is poor safety practice.
I have never seen as many cripples as I saw this year, I've been saying it since I shot my first bird with steel shot (yea, I'm that old) STEEL STINKS!!!!!!! :mad:
Anyway,.......teach the dogs to be steady. that way if you do need to take another shot, you can, safely.
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:53 am

Nice footage, most times those GoPros make me nauseous....

Creepy beard on that one guy at the end
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Benellipup » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:43 pm

Labtrainer: I agree, I can say that this season was by far the worst season as far as cripples for us.. and it was NOT because the ducks were out of range.. they were in the decoys about 25 yards away.. we had two goldeneye come in one morning.. we dumped em!! everyone put their guns down, they picked up and flew to the middle of cayuga lake and thats all she wrote.. I understand the whole thing with lead.. but seriously think we are loosing more waterfowl due to wounding them than we are killing them will lead in other ways.. I really wish there was something we could do to convince biologists to let us switch back.. if they dont catch a BB at 25-30 in the head.. you mind as well say goodbye to them.. its the life of hunting over open water..

Goose hunting we have never had a issue becasue if we wound one.. were always able to retrieve it.. but I refuse to put my life on the line in the winter with 2ft waves to get a duck.. ill do whatever i have to do to get them.. but no way am i going to the middle of cayuga to get a duck on a rough day..
Benellipup
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:55 pm

Benellipup wrote:Labtrainer: I agree, I can say that this season was by far the worst season as far as cripples for us.. and it was NOT because the ducks were out of range.. they were in the decoys about 25 yards away.. we had two goldeneye come in one morning.. we dumped em!! everyone put their guns down, they picked up and flew to the middle of cayuga lake and thats all she wrote.. I understand the whole thing with lead.. but seriously think we are loosing more waterfowl due to wounding them than we are killing them will lead in other ways.. I really wish there was something we could do to convince biologists to let us switch back.. if they dont catch a BB at 25-30 in the head.. you mind as well say goodbye to them.. its the life of hunting over open water..

Goose hunting we have never had a issue becasue if we wound one.. were always able to retrieve it.. but I refuse to put my life on the line in the winter with 2ft waves to get a duck.. ill do whatever i have to do to get them.. but no way am i going to the middle of cayuga to get a duck on a rough day..

I think the biggest problem with steel is that people think they need BBs to kill. Way to large for ducks IMO. I use 4's until late season then switch to 2's for combo. BB, to me, wounds more than kills.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:14 am

I agree with all the replies about the dog. When Molly is in the water there is no shooting. We had two separate flocks of 8 - 12 birds each decoy on Friday while Molly was making a retrieve. No shots were fired, we just let them land and swim away.

If your dog isn't steady, then tie them up. A dog kept on leash is better than a dog that breaks.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting