Let your Representatives know.

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Let your Representatives know.

Postby 870 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:33 pm

Hey guys I know you’ve all see our Governor speech the other day, if not you really missed something eye opening. It’s too bad he’s fluffing up his résumé for a White House run on an issue that is so close to all of us, gun control. If you don’t want to see our rights taken away or deeply altered I’d like to encourage all of you to contact your local representative and let them know how you feel on the matter. We can’t sit back and do nothing and think it will turn out all right for us. This issue goes way beyond duck hunting, it address’s our freedom as a people. This issue goes beyond whether you’re a democrat, republican, conservative or liberal. We need to come together and fight to keep our freedom because there are those looking to take it away from us. So please take the time to contact your Reps and let them know how you feel. Thank you 870 :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
Pro Hunter

Re: Let your Representatives know.

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:48 pm

I don't know if you all have been keeping up with the dialogue on my post about getting a pistol permit.
But, I think you should ALL submit your papers, even if you don't really want/need one.....
The day that they tell you that you CANT......you'll regret...That's my thinking.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby jeepman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:25 pm

I've been reading news articles about this all evening. I must say it is pretty scary stuff to think that there might be a magazine and "assault weapon" confiscation in the new New York State gun control measures. What makes me even more unnerved is the speed that some of these new policies might be voted on in Albany which is as early as next week. It's like a Blitzkrieg of legislation that will effect everyone in one way or another and no one will really know what happned until it's too late. Everything written in the articles is speculative as of 8 hours ago, but if those ideas weren't being tossed around or stated in interviews, they wouldn't be written. I will be making some phone calls for sure on monday morning.
jeepman
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:14 am

Heres a site that will help get keep people up to speed http://www.nraila.org/
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
Pro Hunter

Postby jeepman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:14 am

870 wrote:Heres a site that will help get keep people up to speed http://www.nraila.org/

I also want to add that everyone can go either on their represenatives web site or this one( because they are the same and actually view these proposed laws. These are not interpreted by a media outlet they are just there in black and white.

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/se ... ch=firearm
jeepman
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks jeepman we all need to get moving on this one :thumbsup:
Pro Hunter

Postby DukBum » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:36 pm

Thanks 870,My son has been keeping me update daily about this :thumbsup:
There is more to this then just killing ducks
DukBum
State Moderator

Postby DukBum » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:43 am

I have called my repersantives,E mailed them,sent letters but right now it looks like our Governer is going to ram this down our throughts,One word comes to mind Impeach :hammer:
DukBum
State Moderator

Postby jeepman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:35 am

Well the progressive liberal Blitzkrieg worked and they rammed home more useless laws last night around 11pm. The assault weapon portion that is no up is very vague, and i wonder if semiauto shotguns will come under attack in the near future? I know it might be a fruitless effort in the sad State of New York, but Cuomo comes up for reelection next year. Think about this at the voting booth while he is working his presidential bid. Also since this is a state wide forum, here is the passed bill as well as the people who voted a yea or nea to pass it. this list of names and their decisions should be posted in the announcements so these clowns can't come out looking clean while running for reelection next year when this stuff actually goes into effect! Also thank you Senator Little your vote means alot to me and shows you actually care about the wishes of the people you represent.

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/ap ... S2230-2013
jeepman
hunter

Postby DukBum » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:42 am

I agree jeepman,that this bill is to vague ,seems to be alot of room in it for miss interpetion
DukBum
State Moderator

Postby 870 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:17 pm

This portion is screwed up This will effect me because I buy all my amo from out of State :mad:
In order to prevent circumvention of these new controls, this bill
requires that any seller--whether located in New York or out of
state-ship the ammunition to a dealer within New York for in-person
pick-up. The dealer is required to maintain records of the ammunition
sale and to perform a State review of disqualifiers. Direct shipment
of ammunition without a face-to-face transaction prevents a seller
from being able to adequately confirm the identity of a buyer through
the in-person inspection of a valid photo ID. Without adequate
confirmation of a buyer's identity, the benefits of background checks
and record keeping are completely circumvented. A law requiring all
ammunition sales to culminate in a face-to-face transfer, thereby
allowing for effective confirmation of purchaser identity and
corresponding background check, is consistent with this scheme.
Pro Hunter

Postby labtrainer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:55 pm

The "dealers" will make a fortune with fees on "handleing" charges. Plus the cost of IN State ammo purchases will skyrocket.
Road Trip!!!!
I think you might be finding me on another state forum soon. :mad:
NY ,...... Highest Taxes, Strictest Gun Laws!
Any Rich Bleeding Heart Liberials out there wanta buy a nice house with 50 acres where you can watch birdies and bunny rabbits, lots of huggable trees too!!!!! :thumbsup:
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:52 pm

To all who I offended with the adult language I used in reply to this thread, I am truly sorry. It will not happen again.

:sad: :sad: Eric :sad: :sad:
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby DukBum » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:34 am

The back ground check on ammo is a big one for me also,Like 870 I buy mine on line.Also If you buy alot the state police are going to pay you a visit .My other issue is the one about having to renew your pistol permit,how mach is this going to cost and am I going to lose my right to full carry? :mad:
DukBum
State Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:14 am

Speaking of "Road Trip"....
There was a piece on the news about some guys from NY who do regular road trips to Virginia (I think) but somewhere south and they load up on cigarettes and then drive back here and sell them for a profit, but still less than NY's taxed amount.
The theme of the piece on the news was the unintended consequences that some decisions give birth to, such as cigarette road trips.
You know for sure this would happen with ammo....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby DukBum » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:03 pm

Impeach Cuomo,that will send a message to the rest of our the rest of America :hammer:
DukBum
State Moderator

Postby GREGS » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:31 pm

Cuomo needs to feel the heat for his actions.
Are any of the gun manufactorers testing the legality of this ?
A seven round clip for a pistol ? What are they supposed to do start making clips for NY only, it's ridiculous!

I've emailed all my representatives,they know how I feel about it.Doesn't help you guys much with your liberal assembly.
I hate even thinking about it. It makes me furious!
Emotional feel good laws that only will effect law abiding citzens.
GREGS
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Speaking of "Road Trip"....
There was a piece on the news about some guys from NY who do regular road trips to Virginia (I think) but somewhere south and they load up on cigarettes and then drive back here and sell them for a profit, but still less than NY's taxed amount.
The theme of the piece on the news was the unintended consequences that some decisions give birth to, such as cigarette road trips.
You know for sure this would happen with ammo....

I pretty much agree. If your intent was to sell them. However, from what I've read of the law so far (it's a pretty boring read), they haven't addressed internet sales. So, if I were to order a case of steel duck shot on line, it comes to my door via UPS, FEDEX or US mail, NYS is out of the picture. Technically, no different if I were to get in my car and drive to Cabelas in Pa or Ct and buy the shells. So long as they are for my own use.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:26 pm

As I've been reading this abonination, more and more things are becoming apparent. For example, there is language in there about semi automatic shotguns and tubular magazines. Apparently, the 7 round limit applies here as well. Ordinarily this would not be an issue, but what of the spring snow goose season? Magazine tube extensions would be illegal.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby DukBum » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:49 pm

Frank as I read the law it would not be illegal till you put more then 7 rounds in it
DukBum
State Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:31 pm

What about the fact that (other than the plug) your semi auto SG CAN hold 7+
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby sny987 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:47 pm

sny987
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:00 pm

Here's Obama's list of what he wants to do
Today, the President is announcing that he and the Administration will:
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system. 4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.Delete Reply Reply All Forward Move Spam Actions Next Previous
Pro Hunter

Postby jeepman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:09 pm

870 wrote:Here's Obama's list of what he wants to do
Today, the President is announcing that he and the Administration will:
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system. 4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.Delete Reply Reply All Forward Move Spam Actions Next Previous

All of these things are an analysis of communication breakdowns within the bureauocracies in and between agencies. Most of this stuff is already implemented and is just not enforced or delegated properly. This administration wasted a month reinventing the wheel.
jeepman
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:34 pm

Next storm coming our way is named Dianne Feinstein :mad:

Then in March we have the UN small arms, assault weapon ban BO and Clinton are lovin this.
This is far from over guys :no:
Pro Hunter

Next

Return to New York Duck Hunting