This A.M.

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

This A.M.

Postby flingineels » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:52 pm

Blue 1_15_13.jpg
Had to get the dog some work today so the gloves came off and the buffies were going down.

There have been Broadbill around and Brant so I started with the idea that buffies would be spared. After 2 hours with nothing to show I let loose on 'em. Sadly only hens came to stool so down they went.

Then things really picked up as a fligt of Bills started and I dropped a drake. Making 5 ducks at that point. Things were great, the dog had retrieved everything... one cripple was diving to escape 3X and had her out over 100yds. She stuck with it and got the bird, real proud of her.

Then for the first time ever... a drake CANVASBACK sets its wings and feet down! I have NEVER had one stool...Seen them in the park ponds etc...never on the bay. So I shot it, he hits the water. He's flopping around and regains himself...I shoot him again. He's still. Now I have a limit, and i'm gonna grab him and tow my lines back to the beach, so I set out in the boat. 10 feet from the Can his head pops up! ***! Before I can grab the gun he TAKES OFF! NOOOOO!

So then I took it out on the next buffy to come by and as Blue dropped that one on the deck a pair of brant presented themselves perfectly for the one shot two dead routine.
flingineels
hunter

Re: This A.M.

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Great morning for you and the dog! :thumbsup:

Although sorry about the can. :mad: :no:
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby flingineels » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Yeah, It was a good day...still is.

Except now to the vet, she's got a limp which has something to do with the swollen paw she wouln't let me look at. Puffy right between the toes. No cut in the pad, maybe a splinter or something.
flingineels
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:45 pm

Hope she's OK.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby flingineels » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:31 pm

Thanks Whistler.

I just learned a lesson the hard way and I'd caution anyone else running a dog...always keep the dog on a lead and in your control. I had let her run the beach while I was clearing up my gear at the end of the hunt. She was fine until the late afternoon when she started to limp. Ended up super swollen and at the vet, xrays etc. She has two punctures in her foot now and maybe done for the season. If the swelling doesn't go down she'll have to get the paw lanced. Xrays showed nothing remaining in there but time will tell.

With all the trash from the storms in the marshes nails, glass and anything else imaginable now covered with seaweeds and marsh grass you cant see what the dogs may be running through.
flingineels
hunter

Postby capt.dennis » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:06 pm

yes my vet bills are astonomicle! the dogs get into everything. they get hurt and want to keep on hunting!
HUNT HARD FISH HARD!
WWW.HUNTFISHNY.COM
capt.dennis
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting