I was bamboozled

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

I was bamboozled

Postby toolmaker » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:24 pm

found a pod of golden eyes and set up on an island nearby.....I set some brant and blacks and about 8 golden eyes...pretty quickly and ditched the boat. Within 15 mintes some started coming bye.. and in short order i dropped the first 2 drakes that came in as singles...but then the action slowed and so when a hen came in , I decided to not wait for all drakes, because i only had 2 hours till dark. so i drop her in the spread and she she dives.....we off to the side of the spread for the last 30 minutes has been this hen merg swiming with her head under water and diving every now and then....

well when the "hen golden eye" popped back up i laid into her and laid her out...just then off to the side of the spread a bird flies away. I figure thats the hen merg....dog finally comes back and in her mouth is a hen merg!!!!! poor thing came up in the wrong place at the very wrong time.....and apprently my dropped hen eye.....flew off

i was dupped...but it was aparently worse for the hen merg!!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Re: I was bamboozled

Postby sssurfertim » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:44 pm

Ew did you actually put that thing in your boat? :hammer:
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby capt.dennis » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:53 pm

has happend to us on more than one occassion. divers are tough! staying under for long periods of time comming up 100 yds away!
HUNT HARD FISH HARD!
WWW.HUNTFISHNY.COM
capt.dennis
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:01 pm

Hold on, something smells fishy other than the duck you “apparently” mistook for a hen Whistler. Now I have been killin duck for a long time and I can’t ever remember seeing either a diver or fish duck surface without the head of the bird leading the way. How is it you couldn’t identify it as a fish duck. Their heads look nothing alike, their body shape is different hmmm interesting. How long did you say you’ve been hunting ducks tool. Have you noticed your vision falling off? To help you out, I have a copy of that book from Remington on duck identification I think the State offers a class on it. :yes:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby toolmaker » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:58 am

870 wrote:Hold on, something smells fishy other than the duck you “apparently” mistook for a hen Whistler. Now I have been killin duck for a long time and I can’t ever remember seeing either a diver or fish duck surface without the head of the bird leading the way. How is it you couldn’t identify it as a fish duck. Their heads look nothing alike, their body shape is different hmmm interesting. How long did you say you’ve been hunting ducks tool. Have you noticed your vision falling off? To help you out, I have a copy of that book from Remington on duck identification I think the State offers a class on it. :yes:

the contacts do get blurry at some point every day, and copious amounts of rewetting drops are needed...but when puting the stomp on lively golden eyes before they start making their way out of the rig, you need to hammer them right away as soon as the surface...one duck came in....got shot out of the sky and then dove as soon as it hit the water, then a duck pops up 10 seconds later in the same exact spot....you want me to think..."wait ...is that my duck???" you definatley would fit in with my hunting buddies...keep shooting until the head is the same height as its butt

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:55 am

toolmaker wrote:
870 wrote:Hold on, something smells fishy other than the duck you “apparently” mistook for a hen Whistler. Now I have been killin duck for a long time and I can’t ever remember seeing either a diver or fish duck surface without the head of the bird leading the way. How is it you couldn’t identify it as a fish duck. Their heads look nothing alike, their body shape is different hmmm interesting. How long did you say you’ve been hunting ducks tool. Have you noticed your vision falling off? To help you out, I have a copy of that book from Remington on duck identification I think the State offers a class on it. :yes:

the contacts do get blurry at some point every day, and copious amounts of rewetting drops are needed...but when puting the stomp on lively golden eyes before they start making their way out of the rig, you need to hammer them right away as soon as the surface...one duck came in....got shot out of the sky and then dove as soon as it hit the water, then a duck pops up 10 seconds later in the same exact spot....you want me to think..."wait ...is that my duck???" you definatley would fit in with my hunting buddies...keep shooting until the head is the same height as its butt

the tool

:yes: Your right tool, I'm the guy yelling it's heads up!!! The ones I hate is when you trip up a Whistler and they dive as soon as they hit the water like a rock would. No sitting they’re thinking what just happened? They go into an instant dive then at the other end; they come out flying oh yeah that’s fun too. They humble me every year. But tool, you mistake a fish duck even in the time frame of what you described, I’m finding that hard to believe. What are you leaving out? I could understand the boys over on L I swatting one, since they have this affectation with shooting them, sure, I could see that happening. But you tool. :huh:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby toolmaker » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:20 pm

dont tell frank but u have to remember i am shooting these birds 100 yards out. i can barely see them ha ha
toolmaker
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:50 pm

toolmaker wrote:dont tell frank but u have to remember i am shooting these birds 100 yards out. i can barely see them ha ha

Well there you go that explains it, I knew there was a logical explantion for it :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Return to New York Duck Hunting