Good luck tomorrow.

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Good luck tomorrow.

Postby CLUTCHfan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:38 pm

I've got to work, but will be hunting on sun. Good luck to all you guys who'll be going tomorrow. The only thing that'll keep me sane is that I'll be driving to work well before it's light enough to see geese flying.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby carlschmarl2 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:50 am

well lets here it boys...how'd you do today?! i'm stuck at work and need to hear some good news!
"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
carlschmarl2
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:53 pm

the birds weren't flying too well today. They went to their spots and held up. We managed 3. We're going out again in the morning. Hopefully the rain and more hunters will move them around a little better. :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:48 pm

Harvey, how did your dog do?

Well Harvey, with that storm coming I headed out on the water to smack them Northern’s one more time. They love to feed on storm fronts; I caught a limit by eleven. Two were 7-8 lbs and the rest were somewhere around 5 lbs

My bay filled up though out the day with geese, by sundown there had to be around 75-100

The boys had to have been banging them, for they’re to be that many show up. Though out the summer there’s been 35 or so in there

Well better luck tomorrow bro sleep fast.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:45 am

870 - Good for you man! That is awesome.

Lily did real well. She made 3 water retrieves, the last was close to 100 yds out.

We went out this morning and set up where we had seen a few land yesterday. We saw one goose. On the way home we saw ~30 sitting in the field we decided not to hunt. :pissed:

We are heading to that field in the morning.

The main problem we are finding is that the birds just aren't flying around here, and if they aren't flying they are hard to call and decoy. However, the ducks were moving around a lot today. Are the geese moving anywhere else?

Good luck on Sunday everyone.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:53 am

We only got 1 bird yesterday, they keep switching fields and I made a bad guess as to where the bulk of the flock would go. The couple small flocks that did come in were spooky and my shooting was poor. However it was a successful hunt because I brought my eight year old son along for the first time and he had fun. He said that his favorite part was watching the birds work. He's also pretty good at setting out and picking up decoys. We'll give it another try on Monday.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:19 pm

Well ya’ll did better than me I haven’t been out yet. I was woke by some guys blazing away on the geese this morning. It was coming from the farmer’s fields across the road. Then I woke my wife up by slapping my forehead with my palm saying STUPID. :pissed: The ol’ 870 literally got caught sleeping. :oops: What’s that old saying “if you snooze you loose”
I’m blaming this one on the weatherman. He called for 3”of rain and high winds :thumbsdown:

It sound like they had a great hunt,… personally I hope they missed every shot. I didn’t say that, bad 870 J/K
:yes:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:18 pm

Going out in the morning. I'm not expecting a limit, but it'll be nice if we get a bird or two apiece.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby Smackaduck » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:31 pm

I cant believe you guys are already taking birds. Two more weeks to teal season. We dont get an early goose season. Our canada goose season is one week long and a one bird limit. :oops:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:00 pm

We don't have a dove season, so it sort of evens out I guess. Right now we're just killing the resident nuisance geese, we can hunt migrating geese into January once the regular seasons open.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:36 am

Went scouting this morning. Saw birds in six different fields, anywhere from 8 to 30 birds per field. Five of the fields were within a few miles of each other. It's tough to know where thew birds will want to be tomorrow.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Early goose

Postby Dep666 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:44 am

I know I'm going to hear it, but I haven't been out yet. The Salmon fishing has been unbeleivable this summer, and I'm having a hard time making a choice. Catching a 4 guy limit of Kings up to 35 lbs, boatloads of Browns in the 8-12 lb class, steelheads up to 15 lbs or going out in a rain soaked field to shoot some nasty old honkers....Yopu know I really do like shootin those geese, but with the ESLO derby still on till tomorrow and the fishing being HOT HOT HOT I'm kind of in a dilema.....
Dep666
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:15 am

We went out this morning. We hit up a spot that we generally get a few birds, not a ton, but some. We get set up, and tuck ourselves into a hedgerow. After sitting awhile, I walked to the end of the field to see how a field on the next farm over is looking, and on my way back we see two geese way off in the distance. I step into some thick stuff, and the birds fly within about twenty yards from me, heading towards the other guys. I let them pass, so that they can get some shots off at them. They knock one down. A couple more small groups come in, and we took one bird from each. I tagged one, and it turns and glides down into a swamp down the hill that we have no access to. The bird that one of the guys hit on the last group had a band. Lucky SOB. I only loaded two shells into my gun after shooting earlier, and was not happy to hear a click when one bird flew right past me, after shooting at the other. Not bad for the first time out this year. I'm trying to talk the other guys into buying layout blinds, because I think we would've slaughtered them if we all had them. I also figured out I was leading them too far, but too late of course.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby harvey1b » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:50 am

Sounds pretty good CLUTCH.

We finally hit it right this morning. We had ~30 feet down at about 20 yds. We took 3 out of the group. Goin' again in the morning!
harvey1b
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting