Recommend a taxidermist?

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Recommend a taxidermist?

Postby mwc4fishing » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:29 pm

Wondering if any of you guys can recommend a taxidermist. I've tried the guy in Oakdale and after waiting 9 months, I wasn't really all that happy with how it came out. if not within driving distance on LI, I'm willing to ship the birds on dry ice if I can just find someone who does good work. Thx.
mwc4fishing
hunter

Re: Recommend a taxidermist?

Postby Papabear » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:59 pm

I have bin using FINS TO FEATHERS in Farmingdale for over 25 years did all my ducks and deer also a bear I got in Manie
he can be reched at 516-847-0087 you can also see his web site at " http://www.alllongislandtaxidermy.com/ " he is one of the best around
papabear
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed-For Those Who Don't None Will Do
WE HUNT BY SIGHT-NOT BY SOUND
Papabear
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:08 pm

That's insane....9 months??? Sweet Jesus....my wife made a baby in 9 mo's and I am thrilled with my son....
Go tell that guy to chit in his hat, play some pool next door and then buy a dildo next door to that and if he's not done by the time you get back....drop a deuce on his welcome mat......I've NEVER heard anything good about him....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:19 pm

It's absurd that we dont have a good taxi here....If this guys is good Papa,......you should push him to post a sponsor on the forum...
It would be good to have him around.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:26 pm

well slack....most taxidermist that do a lot of work and that do good work....do their jobs in batches....they may freeze everything and in say april they skin all the birds, then they treat the hides, then they buy the forms in feb they maybe skinning out all the deer heads, and fleashing those hides...its all batch work....they dont work on your bird the week it comes in and then work on the next guys bird the week that bird comes in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'
Gary King, Waterfowl creations

he does some really great work....but he only does a limited amount

he is in Orange or Ulster county NY

the tool
Last edited by toolmaker on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:54 pm

toolmaker wrote:well slack....most taxidermist that do a lot of work and that do good work....do their jobs in batches....they may freeze everything and in say april they skin all the birds, then they treat the hides, then they buy the forms in feb they maybe skinning out all the deer heads, and fleashing those hides...its all batch work....they dont work on your bird the week it comes in and then work on the next guys bird the week that bird comes in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'
Gary Kind, Waterfowl creations

he does some really great work....but he only does a limited amount

he is in Orange or Ulster county NY

the tool

Well Tool,
It sounds like he was mislead.... If that was the procedure you would think that the guy would say that........
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:31 pm

Tool is right that is pretty much the way Taxidermist operates. Around here it’s up to a year before you get it back, then it’s a gamble on how their going to turn out because most of them have little idea what a duck looks like.

If you don’t mind sending it, I can guarantee you’ll love what Gregg sends you back. This guy does all of mine, you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone any better. Gregg pretty much does ducks, geese, turkeys and a handful of deer. He’s a duck/goose hunter and he’s sought out and has a ton of Taxidermy studios from Pa send all their ducks/geese up for him to do.
315-376-3440
ielfield@frontiernet.com
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby bruno1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:56 am

Mike Walsh in West Islip. World class taxidermy and pays attention to every little detail. He has a shop attached off his house and he doesn't send his work somewhere else to get done. It's literally custom work.
ASLANDS NEEKO DAMICO QAA MH "NEEKO"

HEART & SOULS NUTS FOR DUCKS JH "ROCCO"

http://www.elitelongislandoutfitter.com
bruno1
hunter

Postby mwc4fishing » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:07 am

Appreciate the feedback guys. And I don't like to bad mouth anyone, but it wasn't as much the wait as the way the bird came back, so I'm looking elsewhere. Thanks for the leads, I'll do some research on each.
mwc4fishing
hunter

Postby duckdoyle » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:47 am

Rich Dunlop fins to feathers he did all the work for ****'s. Does nice work and fixes up everyones mistakes. He butchers also.
duckdoyle
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting