Ice is nice

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Ice is nice

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:43 pm

Boy it really does just change everything doesn't it?
I went for a walk when the wind laid down a bit and just laid on the grass next to a little ditch with a small bit of water...maybe 3'x8' and only a few inches deep. No decoys...way out, here comes Mr. Black...
Attachments
P1260087.jpg
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Ice is nice

Postby toolmaker » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:49 pm

yes and no.... my ramp is where a fresh water river-stream empties into the harbor...and it is sheltered....sooo, not much wind...the ice is about 2.5-3" thick and it is hard...not 100% fresh water hard, but way harder than salt water ice...and my 115 struggled to get out of the boat basin today.... I can tell you all teh guys that floowed are glad i went first....and i had to chip and shovel ice off the ramp to get down to the solid ice on the water...

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:57 pm

Thats the reason I like the season they give us up here. Sure we get a few days of hunting in the snow and thats fine with me been there, done that, and have the scars to prove it :rolleyes:

Nice Black Slack
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby mwc4fishing » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:46 pm

I've kept a log of every duck hunt i've ever been on since 1983... and one thing the really great days all have in common is ice and cold. This last weekend of the season was no different. After breaking ice to get to open water, set up by myself in a layout. Just got my gun loaded when here they come. Iced 4 mallards and a black in the last 90 mins of the day. Sat back as groups of 8 and 10 black duck dropped in and just enjoyed the show. 9 1/2 months to wait...
mwc4fishing
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting