last weekends events..

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

last weekends events..

Postby toolmaker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:48 am

hey guys and gals, I chased the huge flocks of broadbills on the sound the last weekend. saturday i took our own redheads and greenheads. (must be tough for a young lady to meet some scruffy old codger at some frozen ramp and harbor at 5:15 am in the dark thinking you are going out in that ice and darkness with that dude??? ha ha ha)

had a tough entry into the water...3" mostly freshwater ice at the bottom of a frozen ramp..it was a tough task, but we got it done with only one bent trailer guide post. the wind was supposed to blow and the divers were flying wide most of the last week in the mornings..so i picked a spot that basically didnt pan out( although it was the best lee in the area)..we only had two or three shootable birds in the decoys. But i made the best of my chance of scaring my new guest from thinking of trying it again. I put her to work stringing long lines and driving the boat to pick them up...
here is redheads and greenheads

this is the closest she would let me sit near her!!!

( dont try to trianglulate my postion from the bouys, i moved them all for the picture, and bsides the spot wasnt that great!!!! ha ha)

seriously, she was a trooper for the weather, the ramp and the results....

on sunday I went out with a guy I met on the duck hunters refuge for the first time as well.

went to a totally different spot and the divers didnt coopoerate that day either. but we steadily popped off a nice bag of widgeon, gadwals and mallards,( 11 in all ) with a single canada in for good measure. his wife wanted him home early, but I told the guy" tell her its the LAST DAY, and the codger wont take you back to the ramp". So he stays out till the end only for us to find the boat went dry on the last hour of the drop!!! and we had to wait till 7;30 float it again!! ha ha..i mean GRRRR!! :fingerpt:

we busted the monster flock of broadbills traveling from the first set to the second set( easily several thousand, a nice sight to see!!)..

.it was my GF's birthday and i got home late!! worked out good, because she cleaned my place, and did the dishes while she waited!!!!!! :thumbsup:

the harbor for both days was just a narrow opening , the width of my boat to come and go...and the big chunks of ice busted my transducer... and wonder how it didnt bust the shear pins of the guys that followed me.( who would not have been able to get out if i didnt go before them!!. my 115 hp was straining in a few places to bust the ice...
my puppy( 1 year next month) really had a great time all weekend... :huh:

hope everyone had a good season

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Re: last weekends events..

Postby redheads&greenheads » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 pm

I'm just relieved I didn't ending up sliding down the ramp into the water and not tangle myself up too bad in the line and really make a greenhorn out of myself! love that photo, lol looks like we were on the edge of the earth! Such a pleasure to hunt with you and Sunny, Cannot thank you enough for taking me out it was a fantastic day. And now i know the most essential piece of gear for icy hunts, a thermos! lol. :smile:
--------------------------
"When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
-Aldo Leopold
redheads&greenheads
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:20 pm

ha, and sliding down that ramp was a definate possibilty!!!! and you would have kept on going out into the boat basin!

for sure you need a thermos, in the late season.

Even Kevins yuky coffee would have been a respite from the cold huh??

we might have to call you redheads and greenHORN till next season!! :hammer:

I make joke!

you did great with the fast paced commands of the long lines set and retreival.
those long line clips can be a bear to squeeze in the cold huh?? ha ha ha

and driving the boat....slow, nuetral!!, forward..no reverse.....faster...turn , turn more!! nuetral!!

hope you made an impact in hartford today

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby redheads&greenheads » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:42 am

i don't mind that nickname :-) I was so proud that not only did my company give me the day off to attend the public assembly on gun violence prevention but our CEO is the one who authorized it as he was going himself. It was both eye opening and shocking. The panel couldn't identify basic gun types, one council member tried to accuse the gun industry of "marketing guns to kids" since gun sales are down, like it was a tobacco company or something. ***? of COURSE we want kids to get involved in shooting sports, there are many groups that the NSSF both runs and supports to do just that. it was the prez of Mossberg that said 1. this is NOT new, been involving kids since NSSF was started and is not tied to any recent events nor to sales 2. that they support only supervised shooting by an adult and 3. that a child that is properly educated about gun responsibility and safety will grow up to be a responsible gun owning citizen. that last one got a standing ovation by every member of the public including myself.

but this proposed 50% ammo tax.... scary.
--------------------------
"When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
-Aldo Leopold
redheads&greenheads
hunter

Postby Bonasaman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:54 pm

I thought maybe we were snowmobiling there for a while...

Bonasaman
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Bonasaman wrote:I thought maybe we were snowmobiling there for a while...

ha, that was going back in!!!

the motor was straining a lot worse on the way out in the dark!!!!

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:05 am

Eeeeesh....
Know when to say when..
Last edited by Slack Tide on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby peteyg2 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:55 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Eeeeesh....
No when to say when..

Ain't you be an Enlgish teach?
peteyg2
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:12 pm

Whatta ya tawkin' abouuuuuut?
Go back and look, it's clean! :wink:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting