selling all my plastic and making foam (pic)

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

selling all my plastic and making foam (pic)

Postby longlakesd » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:02 pm

4lb density used for body and 8lb density for heads, these will be scaup. they have 15.5" bodies.

First time using molds and noticed the biggest problem i have had is dealing with the air in the mold, started to get a system down for it though and they are starting to form as they should.
Impeach Cuomo .... sign this petition

http://impeachandrewcuomo.com/?
longlakesd
hunter

Re: selling all my plastic and making foam (pic)

Postby DukBum » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:34 am

Longlakes,the decoy looks great.I have been doing these for a couple of years.Is your mold one of the E bay molds? Are you going to Burlap the decoys? :thumbsup:
There is more to this then just killing ducks
DukBum
State Moderator

Postby longlakesd » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:16 am

DukBum wrote:Longlakes,the decoy looks great.I have been doing these for a couple of years.Is your mold one of the E bay molds? Are you going to Burlap the decoys? :thumbsup:

Yes its one of burpyfrogs listings its the "large diver body" mold, and i got the head mold from american decoy. I am going to burlap them this summer, hoping to get like 10 dozen made before next season. Any suggestions for how you deal with the air in the mold? For the body I started tipping the decoy butt down pouring in the urethane and letting it expand from the bottom up while leaving the head vent screw open, then once the foam gets to the vent screw i tighten it up and this seems to work the best so far but the heads have been tricky. Also with my molds i have been keeping the screws somewhat loose so that once it does expand atleast some of the air can escape
Impeach Cuomo .... sign this petition

http://impeachandrewcuomo.com/?
longlakesd
hunter

Postby DukBum » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:40 pm

I cant help you with urethane,I use the beeds lot easier and cleaner to work with.You can get alot of help over to workingdecoy.net.Melvin (burpyfrogs ) is on there all the time
There is more to this then just killing ducks
DukBum
State Moderator

Return to New York Duck Hunting