NYS Assembly with a new gun bill...

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

NYS Assembly with a new gun bill...

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Check out bill number A03908. Assemblyman Ortiz is proposing that all gun owners should get $1,000,000 insurance coverage for any damages resulting from "negligent or willful acts" involving their firearms. :huh: :no:

Really?? When will the madness stop??
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Re: NYS Assembly with a new gun bill...

Postby awspaniel » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:16 pm

There is nothing a liberal politician won't do to look good to an ignorant electorate. It's all about votes.
Sad as it is,there's no bottom in the well of liberal stupidity.Facts,logic,simple common sense
never enter into the equation. It reminds me of my favorite C.S. Lewis quote; “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”
awspaniel
hunter

Postby pangborn83 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:32 pm

As much as I hate to leave my home, I am thinking it is better to get outta ny to a more pro gun state. Maybe if enough of the average joe tax payers said go pound salt I'm not paying taxes to a state that doesn't represent me they may get the point. Doubtful but maybe.
pangborn83
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:44 pm

This Gun Insurance crap started in California, NY always follows them. :mad:
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:27 pm

pangborn83 wrote:As much as I hate to leave my home, I am thinking it is better to get outta ny to a more pro gun state. Maybe if enough of the average joe tax payers said go pound salt I'm not paying taxes to a state that doesn't represent me they may get the point. Doubtful but maybe.

Well pang, I won’t tell you to pound salt, but I will tell you what taught my two boys. I rather see you come home after you got you butt beat in a fight, rather than coming home after you ran from one. We don't look for them, but we ain't runnin eather. For me and my house, we’ll stay, stand and fight. :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby pangborn83 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:59 pm

Well I gotta agree on that note but I see it more as a fight if I were to leave. I considered that as more of a fight to the ny laws and politicians than any of the other options at the time. Becoming a criminal (keeping items that are now illegal in NY) or to let the politicians I help pay for tell me what I can and can not do/ have, or to keep attending pro gun rallies and keep writing letters, which may or may not do a thing in the future. Guess I just figure if enough people said you don't represent me I'm not gonna pay you to keep not representing me it may do something but on that same note you sell your house and land and leave and I suppose they still get their taxes just from someone else so it really wouldnt do much.
pangborn83
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:09 am

See. this is what I'm talking about....
We've gone right past the discussion and right on to the "solution" and other politicians are just going to propose deeper restrictions to try to prove how "for the people" they are....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:45 am

The solution Slack, is for us to never let them forget just how wrong they are. Our dialog is by letters, phone calls, “ peaceful protest” and by kicking their worthless butts to the curd come Election Day. Though I haven’t been to any rallies yet, I plan on it, but I do have a weekly letter writing going on to all my Reps. I don’t care if all I get back is their stupid form letters like I’ve been getting. We can’t quit, we can’t run and say what good does it do???? SCREW THAT!!!! I don’t know about you Slack, but I want to be in the boat the day my unborn grandsons shoots their first ducks. Don’t you want to see your two sons carry on what you love so much? The solution/victory will only come when Albany and Washington finally get it through thick left-wing skulls “WE THE PEOPLE” will not standby and just accept what they think is for our best interest. SCREW THAT!!!! Maybe my verbiage sounds a little hard to some, tough, deal with it. Like Bush said before the start of the gulf war “Either your for us, or your against us”. Slack if we lose this, we lose everything.. We have to stand and fight.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:18 am

No doubt about it...I hope you didn't misread my post to think that I am into some kin of ban or something.
My point is that, this has become a "safe issue" for politicians to cling to, because after all, who ISN'T into the "safety of children" (as they put it.) So the guy who stands up and protests is labeled some wacko who doesn't want children to be safe. And here we are on our way towards a ban or restrictions...It doesn't even feel like there is a conversation, they've just skipped right into how to go about a ban...
I wrote my letters (emails) and put in my permit for my pistol license.
I've already got my Mossy 500 pump cleaned and ready for my 2.5year old.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby awspaniel » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:14 am

870, we have the same pro gun state senator ,but I'm in assemblyman Barclay's district ,he's pro gun,and you have Russell. I wondered how
a woman raised in the north country couldn't see this gun law for what it is ,then I read her bio and saw she was a lawyer,that
explains some of it. Gillibrand,our US senator,a lawyer, was rated NRA A+,now it appears she's Schumers schill. I kind of see a pattern here,
politics and lawyers.Maybe not all,but it doesn't look good.

Does anyone besides me find it disgustingly hypocritical that smug, arrogant ,self-rightous,politicians ,claim ,"It's for the
safety of the children", and have nothing to say about the 120,000 abortions in NY last year. The world has gone crazy. Our
politicians are using our Constituion as a door mat,if we don't fight for our rights ,NOW!,we might as well fold our tents.
Last edited by awspaniel on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
awspaniel
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:18 am

awspaniel wrote:
Does anyone besides me find it disgustingly hypocritical that smug, arrogant ,self-rightous,politicians ,claim ,"It's for the
safety of the children", and have nothing to say about the 120,000 abortions in NY last year. The world has gone crazy. Our
politicions are using our Constituion as a door mat,if we don't fight for our rights ,NOW!,we might as well fold our tents.

And there you have it.....
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:38 pm

awspaniel wrote:870, we have the same pro gun state senator ,but I'm in assemblyman Barclay's district ,he's pro gun,and you have Russell. I wondered how
a woman raised in the north country couldn't see this gun law for what it is ,then I read her bio and saw she was a lawyer,that
explains some of it. Gillibrand,our US senator,a lawyer, was rated NRA A+,now it appears she's Schumers schill. I kind of see a pattern here,
politics and lawyers.Maybe not all,but it doesn't look good.

politicians are using our Constituion as a door mat,if we don't fight for our rights ,NOW!,we might as well fold our tents.

First: Slack I know we're on the same page brother, I get a little wound up at times
awspaniel: Russell sent me a letter explaining her side, my responce was I will be doing everthing I can to see her lose her job. I work with a guy who's related to her and he can't stand her either :no:
State Moderator

Postby labtrainer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:07 pm

870, we ALL need to get A LOT wound up!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are at the threshold of WHY our forefathers wrote the 2nd Ammenment!!!!
labtrainer
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:30 pm

Two words LT apathy, complacency. If I wouldn't get fired, there are two guys I work with I'd like to pull start. Both hunt and both don't mind what Albany put on us and took away They don't see anything wrong with it. :mad:

I hate all that Cuomo did, but the one thing you don’t hear much about, that will hurt us duck/goose hunters is the fact that we now can’t buy ammo over the Internet after March 15. Sorry LT, but I’d like to bitch slap Cuomo How much of a price hike are we going to see next season. :mad: WHO STOLE MY SOAP BOX :boxing:
State Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:46 pm

870 wrote:Two words LT apathy, complacency. If I wouldn't get fired, there are two guys I work with I'd like to pull start. Both hunt and both don't mind what Albany put on us and took away They don't see anything wrong with it. :mad:

I hate all that Cuomo did, but the one thing you don’t hear much about, that will hurt us duck/goose hunters is the fact that we now can’t buy ammo over the Internet after March 15. Sorry LT, but I’d like to bitch slap Cuomo How much of a price hike are we going to see next season. :mad: WHO STOLE MY SOAP BOX :boxing:

Gimme a ring if you want company. Every time I see his dumb *** on TV my blood boils.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:06 pm

870, why did you say "sorry LT" ??????? I agree with you 100%
labtrainer
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:47 pm

HAHAHAHA I thought you would... You know what we need in this forum is a like button LOL :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Postby Gert9888 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:38 am

I couldnt agree with you more 870, slack and LT. Im 24 years old and I am terrified of what is going to happen to my 2nd amendment rights in the next 50 yrs. I have shot at the local gun club for years, I learned how to shoot there and trained with a gentleman who got me involed with the scholastic division empire state games,international skeet when I was 13. They will no longer be able to supply ammo at the club. After these laws started if you were looking for .22lr ammo it was all gone, I travel from cuse to maryland often and was able to finally get my hands on a few. Anyways, what Im guess im getting at is now like the tobacco products in NYS i believe that you are going to end up with ammo runners.
Gert9888
hunter

Postby peteyg2 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:07 am

peteyg2
hunter

Postby peteyg2 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:24 am

In March 2010, Ortiz introduced a bill, co-sponsored with assembly members Margaret Markey and N. Nick Perry, that would prohibit the use of all forms of salt in the preparation and cooking of all restaurant food.[3] Ortiz said he was inspired to introduce the bill after his father suffered a heart attack due to high blood pressure.[4] The bill quickly gained media attention, and prompted negative comments from New York chefs such as Tom Colicchio, who said a salt ban would mean "no one would come here anymore,"[5] and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, who called the bill "ridiculous".[6]

When Bloomberg calls your attempts to run people's lives ridiculous, that's saying something.
peteyg2
hunter

Postby capt.dennis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:26 pm

how many of you guys going to the pro gun rally up in albany this thursday the 28th? theres buses leaving from long island at 430 am if anyone wants to stand up and fight for your rights!

call john
631-475-8125 or by e-mail at jcushman@juno.com
HUNT HARD FISH HARD!
WWW.HUNTFISHNY.COM
capt.dennis
hunter

Postby DukBum » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:15 pm

capt,We are going on thursday there is also several buses leaving from Syracuse
There is more to this then just killing ducks
DukBum
State Moderator

Postby slamdown11 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:31 am

How hard is it to reload shotgun shells? Maybe it'll be worthwhile to learn? Does it save much money?
slamdown11
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:11 am

slamdown11 wrote:How hard is it to reload shotgun shells? Maybe it'll be worthwhile to learn? Does it save much money?

I'm not sure why you posted this here, but i'll try and answer a few of what I think are your questions. First, reloading is not difficult at all. You simply follow some pretty easy directions that come with most presses and follow the recipes listed in the reloading manuals. Reloading does save money, but you pretty much need to be doing a lot of shooting and buy your components in bulk. You also need to invest in some equipment, which at the very least will run about $150 to $200 if you buy used off Ebay. Reloading makes sense if you are shooting a lot of targets, for example. If you're talking about reloading for waterfowling, even at two cases a year, it probably isn't worth the effort or investment.

Lastly, if you're considering reloading as a way around these new laws, the jury is still out on that. I've read the law and nowhere does it address powder, shot, primers etc. It does address "ammunition" in a general sense, so it would be up to the courts to determine whether or not the law applies to reloading components. As of right now, most internet suppliers are taking a very cautious approach to this and many are considering components to be the same as ammunition itself.

The bottom line is that the law, with respect to ammunition, does not take effect until Jan 15, 2014, and there are law suits that are being filed that may get this provision overturned. At the very least, a background check for the purchase of ammunition for target shooter swould seem to be an undo hardship and an encroachment on personal liberties.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby slamdown11 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks, Frank. It was in response to 870s post about not being able to purchase ammo online. If it's doable, and saves a good amount, I thought I could reload shot shells. And, you're right, the law is silent on reloading, though I assume someone will get wise and try to "fix" that.
slamdown11
hunter

Next

Return to New York Duck Hunting