Cuomo lowers license fees...

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Cuomo lowers license fees...

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:47 am

https://www.governor.ny.gov/press/02202 ... nd-hunting

Does he really think that we are stupid enough to support him in his gun control proposals because he threw us a bone on this?

It's like "go find me a stick, so I can hit you with it"
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Cuomo lowers license fees...

Postby southpaw92 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:59 am

at least its just a small stick right?
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby longlakesd » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:50 am

He still has a lot of bull s*** to remove from the gun control law he signed
Impeach Cuomo .... sign this petition

http://impeachandrewcuomo.com/?
longlakesd
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:54 pm

longlakesd wrote:He still has a lot of bull s*** to remove from the gun control law he signed

Like the entire thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
There is Nothing about this "law" that is legal..............it infringes our 2nd Ammendment Rights, thereby Un-Constitutional.
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:20 pm

labtrainer wrote:
longlakesd wrote:He still has a lot of bull s*** to remove from the gun control law he signed

Like the entire thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
There is Nothing about this "law" that is legal..............it infringes our 2nd Ammendment Rights, thereby Un-Constitutional.

Actually, it may not infringe on our Second Amendment rights according to the Supreme Court. In Heller, the Court ruled that "reasonable restrictions" were alowable. But they never went so far as to say what was reasonable and what wasn't. Personally, I do not think that this law, or any part of it, will be struck down on the basis of infringement on Second Amendment Rights.

That said, there are several other Amendments that this law violates and will clearly be struck down. Confiscation without just compensation, right to due process, regulation of interstate trade (reserved to the congress of the US) to name a few. The more you read the text of the law, the scarier it gets.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:23 pm

I'd rather pay $200 for a hunting license and have my rights. What does hunting have to do with the 2nd Amendment again? He can shove it up his a**
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:26 am

As a trapper, I'm concerned that they want to do away with the trapping license and lump it under the hunting license. This seems very suspicious in an administration that is trying to take more and more away from sportsmen. At $21 for a license, I would venture to guess that most trappers are happy to pay the fee for the privilege and to subsequently have their numbers accounted for.

They say the reasons for the decrease in price include: "A surplus in the conservation fund." and "To stimulate the economy."

My question is, why didn't they let the DEC put the increased revenue from the last license fee hike back into the resource? Sportsmen's groups have brought this to their attention and I guess that this is their response.

Is this a done deal or is the DEC taking public comment?
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:55 am

That's an interesting point, Whistlerwhittler. How will they be able to identify "certified trappers"? I still have my certificate somewhere, but what of the countless other trappers who don't have theirs' any longer? Just like the Sportsman's Ed Certificate, it is not needed once you have a license.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:42 pm

From reading their announcement, it appears that they will identify you as a "certified trapper" on your future hunting license if you provide proof of a trapper's education course, ie: a previous license or a trapper's ed certificate. Hopefully they'll continue to offer courses into the future.

So they may be able to keep track of trapper number's, but by doing away with a specific license they may try to belittle the need for trapping. Although many wildlife biologists and highway superintendents will tell you that the wildlife management benefits of trapping far exceed the license fee revenue.

It just seems suspicious to me.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:48 pm

I just spoke to a DEC CO today. He told me that a few years ago, just before the price increase, So many people bought Lifetime licenses for themselves and their children that a huge amount of money went into the DEC coffer. They (the DEC officers) are being told that by 2018 those coffers which are NOT being replentised with yearly license sales will run out and the DEC will go broke and ALL environmental control will be handed over to the EPA ..........thats right folks! A Federal Agency will then be CONTROLING whether we hunt or not!!!!!! This was the plan all along......Cuomo's lower license fees (hidden as a bonus for the "hunters") will speed up the process!!!!!!!!! Your NY State License will NO LONGER BE VALID, because the issueing agency no longer exists. IF you are allowed to hunt at all, you will need to purchase a FEDERAL License. ARE WE WAKING UP YET!!!!!!!!!!!! AND YES they will arrest EVERY violator, FINES will go to General Funds, Taxes will increase to pay addtional Law Enforcement or they are told National Gard will be brought in to assist. This CO had NOTHING to gain by telling me this, he became a CO because he loves Hunting and Fishing as much as any of us (how many of us drempt at one time of growing up to be a CO? I sure did) You MUST attend Protests, write letters, send emails, go to your Reps. offices asking for an appointment to speak to them face to face (you have a right to such a meeting) tell your Rep. that they work for YOU, they have taken an Oath to vote the Voice of the People NOT their own thoughts or agendas. Also, let them know YOU VOTE!
labtrainer
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:33 pm

labtrainer wrote:I just spoke to a DEC CO today. He told me that a few years ago, just before the price increase, So many people bought Lifetime licenses for themselves and their children that a huge amount of money went into the DEC coffer. They (the DEC officers) are being told that by 2018 those coffers which are NOT being replentised with yearly license sales will run out and the DEC will go broke and ALL environmental control will be handed over to the EPA ..........thats right folks! A Federal Agency will then be CONTROLING whether we hunt or not!!!!!! This was the plan all along......Cuomo's lower license fees (hidden as a bonus for the "hunters") will speed up the process!!!!!!!!! Your NY State License will NO LONGER BE VALID, because the issueing agency no longer exists. IF you are allowed to hunt at all, you will need to purchase a FEDERAL License. ARE WE WAKING UP YET!!!!!!!!!!!! AND YES they will arrest EVERY violator, FINES will go to General Funds, Taxes will increase to pay addtional Law Enforcement or they are told National Gard will be brought in to assist. This CO had NOTHING to gain by telling me this, he became a CO because he loves Hunting and Fishing as much as any of us (how many of us drempt at one time of growing up to be a CO? I sure did) You MUST attend Protests, write letters, send emails, go to your Reps. offices asking for an appointment to speak to them face to face (you have a right to such a meeting) tell your Rep. that they work for YOU, they have taken an Oath to vote the Voice of the People NOT their own thoughts or agendas. Also, let them know YOU VOTE!

I don't know anyone in the NG that would assist. NG is state, how could the regulate federal?

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:43 pm

"I don't know anyone in NG that would assist"
I would hope that that would be true, Eric, at least when it comes to attacking civilians.
I'm just repeating what the Con. Officer told me that his Commander told him. Environmental Issues would be their main concern, ie. Chemical Dumping, Radiation, etc. Hunting and Fishing would be low priority.
labtrainer
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:18 am

There has GOT TO BE something up Cuomo's sleeve. I believe lagtrainer is on to something.
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby jeepman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:54 am

VaTailfeathers wrote:There has GOT TO BE something up Cuomo's sleeve. I believe lagtrainer is on to something.

I'm sure there is. I know around here there has been talk for a while about fraking as well as tapping other energy sources in the area. We have a bunch of wind energy fields we don't really benifit from already ( Supports the city just like my taxes). If DEC goes by the wayside no one will stand in the way to keep private energy companies in check because as of now the EPA has little or no teeth to enforce regulations already in place. Thats why in other parts of the country people are able to set their tap water on fire and no real regulating authority is saying $hit about it.
jeepman
hunter

Postby GREGS » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:32 pm

Hey Jeepman,
People have been able to light their tap water on fire in some parts of the country way before fracking was even thought of.

Not stealin this thread,just sayin.

I hope Cuomo's antics have ended his political career.Please carry on!
GREGS
hunter

Postby jeepman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:38 pm

GREGS wrote:Hey Jeepman,
People have been able to light their tap water on fire in some parts of the country way before fracking was even thought of.

Not stealin this thread,just sayin.

I hope Cuomo's antics have ended his political career.Please carry on!

I was not aware of that. I was referring to the people who could as a result of Fracking. I not a subject matter expert on the ins and outs of natural gas production. I was just using it as an example of some of the potential horrors when these agencies are given an impossible job with no way to enforce the already exsisting laws.
jeepman
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:16 am

labtrainer wrote:I just spoke to a DEC CO today. He told me that a few years ago, just before the price increase, So many people bought Lifetime licenses for themselves and their children that a huge amount of money went into the DEC coffer. They (the DEC officers) are being told that by 2018 those coffers which are NOT being replentised with yearly license sales will run out and the DEC will go broke and ALL environmental control will be handed over to the EPA ..........thats right folks! A Federal Agency will then be CONTROLING whether we hunt or not!!!!!! This was the plan all along......Cuomo's lower license fees (hidden as a bonus for the "hunters") will speed up the process!!!!!!!!! Your NY State License will NO LONGER BE VALID, because the issueing agency no longer exists. IF you are allowed to hunt at all, you will need to purchase a FEDERAL License. ARE WE WAKING UP YET!!!!!!!!!!!! AND YES they will arrest EVERY violator, FINES will go to General Funds, Taxes will increase to pay addtional Law Enforcement or they are told National Gard will be brought in to assist. This CO had NOTHING to gain by telling me this, he became a CO because he loves Hunting and Fishing as much as any of us (how many of us drempt at one time of growing up to be a CO? I sure did) You MUST attend Protests, write letters, send emails, go to your Reps. offices asking for an appointment to speak to them face to face (you have a right to such a meeting) tell your Rep. that they work for YOU, they have taken an Oath to vote the Voice of the People NOT their own thoughts or agendas. Also, let them know YOU VOTE!

Hi LT..
I shared your post with a good friend who happens to be a recently retired DEC Director of Fresh Water Habitat for Long Island..
Here is his response...

Not much accurate in here. License fees are a small part of DEC's total budget. DEC already gets a lot of funding from the federal gov't, including EPA (for air, water, solid waste, pesticide programs, etc)

The Fish & Wildlife program gets most of its revenues from license sales (this is the Conservation Fund), federal taxes on arms, ammo, fishing gear (Pittman-Robertson for hunters, Wallop-Breaux for anglers) and from NYS income tax dollars (the General Fund). These are the Big Three, there are many other smaller revenue sources.

There is no secret Grand Plan. The F&W program is overseen by an Advisory Committee from the NYS Conservation Council - which is mostly sportsman reps.

ECOs (Division of Law Enforcement) get their funding from a variety of sources, too, including federal sources like EPA. Conservation Fund is an important one but I do not know the relative value.

I am happy Cuomo contributed to the F&W program because the history has been bleak. The sports always wait years too long before they OK a fee increase. Then, when we do get an influx of license fee revenues, the Governor (they ALL do this) shrinks the General Fund contribution. So, zero sum game.

re Nightmare Scenario: Never happen. Non-migratory fish and wildlife are owned by the people of each state - not the feds - and the mgt responsibility is with each state's gov't.

We can talk more when we see each other this weekend.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:20 am

Slack, I'm just repeating what the DEC Officer told myself and several other Sportsmen at a recent event.

The Fact that Cuomo is choosing to lower License fees NOW on the heels of his Safe Act crap is a ploy, plain and simple.
If the non-migratory species are "owned" by the people, why do we have so little to do with their regulation? It has been long known that Deer seasons are regulated by Auto Insurance Company Lobbiest. That information came froM Mike Hall Senior Wildlife Biologist NYSDEC Region 7 over 20 years ago. This has been confirmed to me by Roger Miner Wildlife Tech. NYSDEC and Ray Nolan Wildlife Biologist NYSDEC, all retired now with no reason to hide this info any longer.
My point is.....so much crap goes on behind the scenes, crooked politicians, special intrest, etc. who knows what to believe????
What ever happened to our Beer getogether with 870? :lol3: :beer:
labtrainer
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:35 am

labtrainer wrote:"I don't know anyone in NG that would assist"
I would hope that that would be true, Eric, at least when it comes to attacking civilians.
I'm just repeating what the Con. Officer told me that his Commander told him. Environmental Issues would be their main concern, ie. Chemical Dumping, Radiation, etc. Hunting and Fishing would be low priority.

Nick hasn't came back or responded to me. I know he would be down for a beer too.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting