Thanks Pop!

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Thanks Pop!

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:08 pm

Today was a really nice day for me and the boy at the decoy show. It's funny how we spend most of the season trying to NOT be seen and then all shack up at a show like this and have a good time. Lots of nice birds and good conversation.
Special thanks to Poppa Bear for the DU Pin that made my son's day (even though he was really shy when you gave it to him)......
Thanks Pop.... :beer:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Thanks Pop!

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:56 pm

Was that Papabear? I've never met most of ou guys in person, but I was there with my grandson and if that was Papabear, he did the same for him! In fact, I bought three hats from him, one for me, one for my grandson and a pink one for my granddaughter (she loved it!) Tyler wore his all day!

Come to think of it, he was pretty good to Tyler last year, too. He gave him one of those DU posters with all the different species of waterfowl. I framed it for him and he has it hanging in his room. When we were walking through the show today, he was rattling quite a few different species of ducks. When I asked him how he knew, he remineded me that he has the poster hanging in his room!

Great job Papabear. You are a great ambassador of our sport, especially with the young'uns.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Papabear » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:25 am

guys your welcome. it was my pleaser meeting both of you.
I am glad the kids enjoyed there pins we always say they are future of our sport and it is so true
Frank I am happy to hear that your son is enjoying his poster look forward to seeing you all again
papabear
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed-For Those Who Don't None Will Do
WE HUNT BY SIGHT-NOT BY SOUND
Papabear
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:59 am

It can be amazing how something like a pin, a call or a poster, means so much for a kid. Kids carry memories and also almost always have a box somewhere hidden that is their own, where they stash special things they picked up along the way. Sounds like the decoy show was a real good time. :thumbsup:
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:43 am

VaTailfeathers wrote:It can be amazing how something like a pin, a call or a poster, means so much for a kid. Kids carry memories and also almost always have a box somewhere hidden that is their own, where they stash special things they picked up along the way. Sounds like the decoy show was a real good time. :thumbsup:

Funny you say that. I loved having boxes when I was a kid. I had a bunch of them with all sorts of things in them..
It was a good time.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:42 pm

I still do to this day. My most cherished thing, an indian spear head I found while skipping stones on the water with my friends.
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:45 pm

VaTailfeathers wrote:I still do to this day. My most cherished thing, an indian spear head I found while skipping stones on the water with my friends.

I see your spear head and raise you a whistle.....
How about this!
It's a Terracotta policeman's whistle that I found in the dirt in my backyard as a kid.
Attachments
whistle.jpg
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:40 am

Thats in great shape. Do you know the age, etc of it? I've been watching those guys on able that use metal detectors and find coins and stuff, like every 3 minutes....ha!
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:27 am

I have no idea. It's in great shape and works..my house at the time was very old and it was common to find broken dishes etc in the yard.
I'd guess it's from the '20's maybe??
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting