Long Island Sound Black Duck

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Long Island Sound Black Duck

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:01 pm

Okay, it's the off season and after resting a month or so, it's time to start those off season projects. After last week's LI Decoy show, I got the urge again. I was browsing my copy of "Decoys of the Atlantic Flyway" by Dr. George Ross Starr, and I came across this plate of a Long Island Sound Black Duck. The story behind it is that the illustrator (Joel Barber) bought the block from someone on Long Island's south shore (Amityville, if I recall correctly), but later found out that it was made in Stratford Ct. Either way, it's a good example of the blocks that were in common use at the turn of the last century in this area.

I thought it would be kind of cool to have half dozen of these in the boar for next season. I've begun work on the heads. I used that pattern to make three resters, and have another pattern that was modified from this one to make heads for active birds. I believe that the traditional material for the heads was white pine, but I've been using some aspen. It seems to carve better for me.

I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Re: Long Island Sound Black Duck

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:48 pm

Post up some pictures of them Frank. Been seeing a lot of Doc Starrs final resting place lately with all the snow, (remember my pm)? Small world when you pass a gravestone and think of a person you've never met on some damn duck site eh? :biggrin:

If you still have my PM feel free to post it here so your fellow NY dhc'ers know what I'm talking about. I think I have it still if you want me to share, no big deal.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:38 pm

I got some basswood from a guy in Islip......I'm planning on a few too.
keep me posted.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:30 am

Cool project! The breast profile in that pattern is typical of the Stratford birds. Joel Barber wrote his own decoy book and it's a good one for beginning carvers. A friend got me a copy of the book at a LI decoy show.

Have fun and post pics!
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:24 pm

shang wheeler style

I did a preener two years ago for the other forum....

shang did a simple, yet effcient classic black duck.

although the tail feathers are abgled up slightly..... I havent seen too many shang black ducks, but the ones i did see, had a straight tailboard

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Tool did beautiful work on that decoy, had some good hunts over it during its stay.
Attachments
image.jpg
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:19 am

sssurfertim wrote:Tool did beautiful work on that decoy, had some good hunts over it during its stay.

That is one nice photo. Consider sending it to a waterfowling magazine. :thumbsup:
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:02 pm

OK, I've finished the first two LI Sound Black Ducks, one resting, like the drawing, and one active. They didn't come out half bad. I have to prime them with an oil based primer because I couldn't get any white cedar and had to settle for red cedar. Before I prime them, I'd like to add the keels. Anyone know what the traditional material and shape for the keels on these birds? I'm thinking they would have used white oak and a very wide U shape as opposed to an inverted cleat shape. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:16 pm

50 or more years ago when the "tradition" started, the decoys, especially the puddlers didnt have keels as we know them today...they had tear drop pieces of lead only....

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:19 am

tool,

I agree, to a point. All of the ones that had the old "lead keels" were round bottom birds. The bird in that print, which was drawn by Barber in 1921, has a flat bottom. That bird, by the way, is definitely from the "Stratford school" and was carved by Benjamin Holmes.

Frank
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:34 pm

OK, the first two are done! Four more to go. By the way, Tool, I looked a bit further into that drawing. The bird in the drawing was carved by Benjamin Holmes of Stratford Ct. Now, I'm not sure it if was Wheeler who influenced the "Stratford style" or the "Stratford style" that influenced Wheeler. Either way, there's definetely something there!

Looks like they might kill some birds!

Frank
Frank Lopez
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting