new to the site!!!

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

new to the site!!!

Postby rob638 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:19 pm

hello every one i feel i should say hello i am new to this sight as far as becomeing a member but have been on hear looking for a long time about 3 years since ive been bit with the waterfowling bug any way here is the deal i live on the south shore of longisland freeport my good friend hunting mentor lives up state and hunts up there i love it but am looking to get into something closer i feel like i live so close to good hunting but am afraid to take the leap i enjoy the do it yourself type of hunt best have a dozen mallard deeks waders a gun am intrested in geting a boat but am weary of takeing that next step because ive never really got out in the local
marsh and back bays of longisland was just wondering could i lauch ot of freeport or lido with say a 14ft boat and be okay most of all just wanred to say hi and i am hopeing to get to meet some local duck hunters here
rob638
Newb

Re: new to the site!!!

Postby sssurfertim » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:25 pm

Welcome to the site, best advise to learning the bay is to go out a lot in the summer and get to know all of the marked channels and imprint them in your mind ( or GPS ) because there are no marked channals during the season. Lots of nice duckboats for sale on craigslist right now. And go easy on the poor buffleheads :hammer:
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:44 am

I grew up in Freeport and have hunted that area. You are right, it is a big investment of time and money. With spring close, I would get yourself a kyack and get down to the bay. Step one is just getting out there. Go walk around, paddle around. Watch the tides, birds etc....I wouldn't just go broke buying a boat and bunch of gear and just wing it.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby DukBum » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:52 am

welcome to the fourm :beer: .Sorry i cant help with hunting down state
There is more to this then just killing ducks
DukBum
State Moderator

Postby wackemstackem » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:33 am

Thers a launch on albany ave but really your best bet would be to rent a skiff from eds or teds during the spring or summer to get around the back bays and check things out..Ya got another foot and 1/2 of tide on both sides during the winter and I wouldent recomend a newb be out there alone..
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby BayMan718 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:06 am

best bet is get out there during the "offseason" and check out the bay in the warmer months to get a feel for the waters you are going to hunt...you should be ok in a 14ft boat so long as you pick your weather and stick to the more sheltered areas of the bay...ive seen guys out in 12ft sneakbox boats in the area but they avoid the bigger water areas...biggest thing is knowing the limits of your boat and paying very close attention to the weather reports and tides..as a local bayman i can tell you there are places in the bay that cant get a real snotty in a short amount of time...as for decoys...i would honestly suggest you pick up some black duck...brant....bufflehead and broadbill decoys as these are the most abundant waterfowl in the area...and please please pleaseeeeeeee....if you see someone set up hunting....DO NOT HUNT NEXT TO THEM...GIVE THEM ROOM...we have enough clowns in the area that like to set up 60 yards down wind of your decoys...dont need any more of them...good luck...and wellcome!
“Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading "

Thomas Jefferson
BayMan718
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting