Hevi Metal Concerns *Answered*

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Hevi Metal Concerns *Answered*

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:52 pm

I guess the biggest question for Hevi-Shot other than why don't they warn us on the box of this, but is this a plamt seed of an invasive species?
Last edited by QuackSmacker935 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Re: Hevi Metal Concerns

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:58 am

I'm far from a fan of HeviMetal shells, but that fellow needs to be more deligent about shell storage. As far as being an invasive species, the seeds are flax seeds, and they are plainly identified in the advertizing and on the website. I don't know for sure, but I would guess that either the seeds are sterilized (incapable of germinating) before they are loaded into the hull, or that they are somehow effected by the discharge.

There are a lot of things wrong with HeviMetal. The flax seed filler isn't one of them.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Re: Hevi Metal Concerns *Answered*

Postby sssurfertim » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Tried it last season and liked it a lot.
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:53 pm

sssurfertim wrote:Tried it last season and liked it a lot.

Did you feed them to the rodents, shoot them or eat them yourself? :grooving:

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:07 am

I don't understand the purpose of the Flax seed in the first place????????????
Other companies have used different powders as buffering agents that fill the spaces between the shot pellets (theory that it creates better patterens), it seems to me that the Flax seed simply take up space that could better serve the gunner by having more shot pellets! JMHO
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:16 am

Frank Lopez wrote:
sssurfertim wrote:Tried it last season and liked it a lot.

Did you feed them to the rodents, shoot them or eat them yourself? :grooving:

Frank

Lol, I expected a response like that but figured it would have been from Tool.
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby jeepman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:17 am

Maybe the seed in the shell has something to do with moisture elimination sort of like putting a cell phone in rice after being dropped in water.
jeepman
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:20 am

labtrainer wrote:I don't understand the purpose of the Flax seed in the first place????????????
Other companies have used different powders as buffering agents that fill the spaces between the shot pellets (theory that it creates better patterens), it seems to me that the Flax seed simply take up space that could better serve the gunner by having more shot pellets! JMHO

Cheap
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:56 pm

The Hevi stuff is loaded into the shell on top of the steel. The flax seeds are supposed to act like a buffer and tighten up the pattern, or at least the Hevi portion of the pattern. When I tested this stuff this past season, I could not tell exactly which pellets struck where in the pattern. Logic would dictate that since patterns bloom from the center out (the leading pellets are always the first to be pushed aside), the Hevi stuff would generally migrate to the outside edges of the pattern. Based on the size of the shot in the loads that I measured, I couldn't tell. I did talk to another fellow who is a well respected member of this board, and he told me that in his tests, that was definitely the case, the Hevi stuff migrated to the fringes. If that is true, and I have no reason to doubt him, then the flax seed does very little in the way of acting as a buffer.

Based on the tests I made, the size of the Hevi stuff in these loads does not conform to SAAMI standards and is not HeviShot. It is definitely heavier than steel at 10.7gm/cc, but lighter than lead and HeviShot. And while there is an increase in the number of pellets to a ballistically comparable steel load (1 1/4oz steel #2 = 156 pellets vs 1 1/4oz #2 HeviMetal = 171 pellets), the increase was nowhere near the advertized 23%. Furthermore, these pellets seem (according to my tests) to help populate the outer annular ring, which is actually a good thing. But there are actually far too few additional pellets (15) to make much difference.

I had no way of testing for penetration with any level of comparative accuracy, so I have to assume that "ballistically equal" means that the pellets are at least equal to #2 steel. Based on actual field use, they did not perform as well as standard. spherical steel shot of good quality (purely subjective here). In other words, in my opinion, they didn't kill ducks any deader. Although I did not shoot these loads past 40 yards, pattern tests indicated that the patterns degraded faster than did the Dryloks and Remington NitroSteel loads it was compared against.

Frank
Frank Lopez
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting