Disposing of bad ammo

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Disposing of bad ammo

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:07 pm

What do you guys do with old rusty shells?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Disposing of bad ammo

Postby trigger22 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:09 pm

Clean them and shoot them. A bench grinder with a wire wheel turning at a relatively slow pace cleans them up fairly quickly.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:29 pm

I just got a great deal, $10 a box of Remmy 2.75 #3's...a favorite duck load.
It's an old case, but unopened. The first box I opened had some a tit of rust on the edge of every shell. Just a dot about the size of the pin itself.
I put three in my 935 and the first one fired and the brass cracked open, lodging it in the chamber, throwing the action to allow the second shell under the action and the third shell attempting to enter...What a mess. I took it all apart and cleaned my gun thoroughly....I loaded three clean shells of my own and they all pumped through fine.

I'm not wheeling anything....the brass blew open!
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Yeah I don't blame you I wouldn't either. Heck just a dot I would've shot them too. I don't clean them until they get pretty ugly with rust. It wasn't the rust that caused that. Those shells are old and defective.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:46 pm

Slack Tide wrote:I just got a great deal, $10 a box of Remmy 2.75 #3's...a favorite duck load.
It's an old case, but unopened. The first box I opened had some a tit of rust on the edge of every shell. Just a dot about the size of the pin itself.
I put three in my 935 and the first one fired and the brass cracked open, lodging it in the chamber, throwing the action to allow the second shell under the action and the third shell attempting to enter...What a mess. I took it all apart and cleaned my gun thoroughly....I loaded three clean shells of my own and they all pumped through fine.

I'm not wheeling anything....the brass blew open!

Ill take them!

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby Papabear » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:13 am

Rusty rounds I clean on the wheel
Bad rounds I take a ice pick and at the top I place two holes then place all bad rounds in a bucket of water for 24 hours
you can eather drop them off at the police station or dispose of them in the garbage as long as the primers and powder are wet this is just find to do

Papabear
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed-For Those Who Don't None Will Do
WE HUNT BY SIGHT-NOT BY SOUND
Papabear
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:10 pm

Wood stove.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Return to New York Duck Hunting