1187 Question

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

1187 Question

Postby spider316 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:11 pm

Hey Folks, I have a question and would like to get a truthful answer. I hunt NYS for turkeys and have been told that my 1187 is now illegal due to having a pistol grip stock that is after market, and also due to it being a semi-auto. I have a call into the DEC to the local ECO have have not recieved a call back in exactly a week today. Any helpful info or maybe a link to the right info would be great. Thank you ahead of time, Wayne.
Most experienced novice Duckhunter the good Lord ever created !
spider316
hunter

Re: 1187 Question

Postby gooseflopper » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:42 pm

As long as it is not a thumbhole or telescoping stock then it is alright. A regular pistol grip stock is fine.
gooseflopper
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:36 pm

gooseflopper wrote:As long as it is not a thumbhole or telescoping stock then it is alright. A regular pistol grip stock is fine.

I don't think he's talking about a normal pistol grip. Remington used to make a variation of the 11-87 designed for turkey that had a pistol grip similar to that found on an M16. Newer models are similar except that there is a connection between the bottom of the grip and the stock proper and a void behind the grip. I'm not an expert on how the state police or the DEC will classify that gun, but according to my understanding of the law, that gun would be illegal. Dumb!

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby gooseflopper » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:11 am

Frank Lopez wrote:
gooseflopper wrote:As long as it is not a thumbhole or telescoping stock then it is alright. A regular pistol grip stock is fine.

I don't think he's talking about a normal pistol grip. Remington used to make a variation of the 11-87 designed for turkey that had a pistol grip similar to that found on an M16. Newer models are similar except that there is a connection between the bottom of the grip and the stock proper and a void behind the grip. I'm not an expert on how the state police or the DEC will classify that gun, but according to my understanding of the law, that gun would be illegal. Dumb!

Frank

I agree with you. I don't know why a pistol grip isn't listed. The thumbhole stock makes no sense to me. The new "sureshot" stocks I think they are call should fall under the handhole stock category :lol3:
gooseflopper
hunter

Postby spider316 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:36 am

Thanks Guys, I havent heard from anybody yet at the law enforcement level. The stock is a speed feed 3 that I put on when I put this gun together about 5 years ago. Once again thanks.
Most experienced novice Duckhunter the good Lord ever created !
spider316
hunter

Postby duckstopper333 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:09 am

Ask your question here: 1-855-529-4305

This was the number listed on the Safe-Law web site. I think you'll end up talking to an Investigator in the D. A.'s office. The lady I spoke with was informative.
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby gooseflopper » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:41 pm

I have a speedfeed as well. Your fine.
gooseflopper
hunter

Postby 16gaParkerGun » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:05 pm

I wrote to the head of the DEC, as I had questions about ammunition, specifically if non-residents were still going to be allowed to purchase it in NYS with the new law. Never received a reply. I then wrote to the NYS Police, who referred me to Commissar Cuomo's website. If you go there, you will find answers to most questions and a guide to determine if your shotgun or rifle is now an "assault weapon."
16gaParkerGun
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting