Just noticed

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Just noticed

Postby magicBB » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:58 am

on another duck board a cat was out scouting and noticed placards on posts with names on them reserving spots. I respect every sportsman I come across in the great outdoors but if I beat you to a spot in the morning I will gladly hand back your stake and wish you the best of luck.
magicBB
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:33 pm

:laughing:

I saw that too, and thought it was pretty rediculous.

I was out goose hunting last week with CLUTCHfan and a guy walked up to where we were sitting with his dog and gun in tote. We invited him to join us and all 3 of us had a great hunt.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby magicBB » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:54 pm

I give it up to you harvey1b and CLUTCHfan :salude: . Way to early the season to thump chests. I appreciate the fact you two are sportsman.

Haven't hunted that far north in a few years, just curious if this "holding spots" thing is new or something that has been building.
magicBB
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:32 pm

I don't know, never heard of it or seen it.

I figure whoever gets there first has the right to hunt there and can invite someone else to hunt with them or not. If you sleep in and get beaten to a spot, too bad for you and I don't care much about whatever sign you think you put up.

We're all out to have a good time and enjoy waterfowling. I like meeting new people and like to learn new things from other's experiences. If I invite someone to hunt and they are a jerk I probably won't do it again. We as hunters need to band together, fighting between us will only hurt our cause.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby cobber » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:48 pm

1st post here, but also read the same on another board. I agree completely with you guys. I've been beat to spots before -- 1st come prevails.
cobber
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:08 pm

I've got some spots that I don't mind doing that. Especially during goose season.

As far as staking out a spot, I'd tell the guy to go pound sand. I won't hunt in someone's blind on them, but if I'm there first it's my spot and they should've gotten up earlier. There've been times where me and a couple guys hunted a spot and people came up an hour after we were there (just before shooting time). It just meant that the next day we'd get there an hour earlier then we did that day to beat them again. I try to hunt places that are a little out of the way normally, because the chances that someone else wil be there are diminished.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby 870 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:19 pm

that sign is only good for opening day if it's there they have the right to hunt no matter if you beat them to their blind.

personally.... I think its BS :pissed: the prob with that is some think it's theirs for the season NOT :cool:

I've gone toe to toe with people like this. :yes:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Return to New York Duck Hunting