Pistol Permit Update

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Pistol Permit Update

Postby Slack Tide » Fri May 03, 2013 10:33 am

Stillllllll waiting...

My original visit was on Feb 4th....the paper said to call in 2 months if you have not been contacted. I called on April 4th and she said that they were still working on January's applications and to call back in a month....I called yesterday and she said that I was "in the system"......
Now I have to wait to hear from an investigator that may or may not happen within the next 6-8 weeks....that will be interview and prints and background check....
I am tentative for an October approval...

Can you believe this?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Pistol Permit Update

Postby 870 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:51 am

I told you man, plan on around a year, that's how long it takes up this way. Then again, for those of us up here, since we'e fighting against the "SAFE ACT" it might just take us a little longer. :evilbanana: LOL
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
Pro Hunter

Postby jeepman » Sat May 04, 2013 6:00 am

I wouldn't put a tentative date on getting your permit because it might only end in frustration when that date goes by. It took me 15 months to get mine back on 02. I was able to squeeze in an entire year long deployment to Afghanistan without hearing from anyone about it. It just takes as long as it takes. Maybe if you stay persistent on calling and inquiring about it they might speed it up but then again they might shuffle you to the bottom of the pile and it'll take longer?
jeepman
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat May 04, 2013 6:56 am

I hear u both. I am in no rush but when u find yourself wrapped up in a bureaucracy it pisses me off. Just like the 2 years of dec bs that I had to got through to build my house.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby mwc4fishing » Thu May 09, 2013 6:04 pm

Amazing. Sorry to hear the hassle. Didn't have any trouble in eastern suffolk.
mwc4fishing
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu May 09, 2013 7:50 pm

mwc4fishing wrote:Amazing. Sorry to hear the hassle. Didn't have any trouble in eastern suffolk.

Your licensing is done by the Suffolk County Sheriff's Department. Anything west of the Riverhead-Southampton/Brookhaven line is handled by Suffolk County Police Department. Two completely different entities with two completely different philosophies.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri May 10, 2013 4:14 am

mwc4fishing wrote:Amazing. Sorry to hear the hassle. Didn't have any trouble in eastern suffolk.

I didn't know that frank.....so I'm the "lucky one" again?
Mc
Exactly what was ur experience? And as far as scpd vs sheriff, is that determined by my address or where I submitted my ap. I'm sure it's address.....
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri May 10, 2013 1:56 pm

Slack Tide wrote:

I didn't know that frank.....so I'm the "lucky one" again?
Mc
Exactly what was ur experience? And as far as scpd vs sheriff, is that determined by my address or where I submitted my ap. I'm sure it's address.....

I don't have a pistol license, Slack. I just never saw a need to put myself through that aggravation for something I really didn't have much interest in. But I do know a couple of people who worked in the SCPD pistol bureau and I did help a couple of people get their licenses. I was also a member of the "Licensing Committee" of my gun club when such things were necessary for obtaining a license. I have also dealt with a few of my fellow members that had licenses that were issued in other parts of the state. One fellow went to college in Oneonta and lived next door to the local judge. They got to talking one day and the judge asks him if he wanted a pistol permit. The guy says sure. The judge takes him into his study and issues him a lifetime, irrevocable license on the spot! That was in the early 60s. SCPD found out about this in the 80s and started to pester him. He eventually surrendered his licenses due to illness, but even then, his lawyer told him that SCPD had no legal grounds to revoke his license.

My brother-in-law got his license while living in Wading River over 25 years ago. About 10 years ago he moved to the other side of town. Still in Wading River, but now he was in Riverhead Twp, not Brookhaven. When he went to renew his license, SCPD told him that he needed to register with the sheriff's Dept. He thought it was going to be a nightmare. He walked in and was very surprised that he was treated not like a potential criminal as in SCPD, but as a law abiding citizen applying for a permit no different than applying for a driver's license renewal!

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby awspaniel » Sat May 11, 2013 8:59 am

If the people that are members of the bureaucracy were paid by piece work,their production would go up 1000 percent
or they would starve. 30 plus years ago,my permit took 2 months and that was with a judge who liked to flex his muscles
and let them sit on his desk for 2 weeks before he'd sign them.You'd think ,in the digital age, this could be done in two
and a half hours or less of actual hands on labor.
awspaniel
hunter

Postby mwc4fishing » Mon May 13, 2013 3:37 pm

The guys as the Sheriffs Dept handling eastern part of the island could not be more helpful. When I went in in Aug, I was expecting the worst and mountains of red tape. They made the process easy, let me know what to expect and were generally supportive all around. When I went in to get my purchase documents, same thing. No lines, no hassles.
mwc4fishing
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon May 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Alllllllllll prior to CT and Boston......
Lucky me
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Schit...too bad you don't have the cash to ruffle some feathers. I bet you would have an argument to file suit.

They are basically preventing you from purchasing common firearms, apparently without cause. But I'm no lawyer.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Tue May 14, 2013 5:35 am

beretta24 wrote:Schit...too bad you don't have the cash to ruffle some feathers. I bet you would have an argument to file suit.

They are basically preventing you from purchasing common firearms, apparently without cause. But I'm no lawyer.

I really don't think that the process has an imbedded wait time deliberately intended to dissuade you....I really think that it's just the slow wheels of a bureaucracy turning. We are a congested area where lots of people applied as a response to the recent concerns about gun control and they are back lagged. I don't like it, but I think that's more what it is.....
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting