NY Road Trip help....

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

NY Road Trip help....

Postby Slack Tide » Wed May 22, 2013 10:13 am

Ok guys...we are looking for a road trip with the kids this summer in NY and I'm looking for suggestions..I've got a 6 month old and a 2 year old...we are looking for a classy place with good stuff to do on the water...(not Lake Placid...been there too many times)..
Thanks
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: NY Road Trip help....

Postby labtrainer » Wed May 22, 2013 10:58 am

Lake Champlain, Lake George, St Lawrence, Sandy Pond (lake Ontario)
All have great places to stay and lots of activites. Have fun :thumbsup:
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed May 22, 2013 11:19 am

One thing I've learned traveling with kids is that you need ROOM....a BIG room..by the time you get all the crap (and we travel light) in there...it's tight. We don't ever get away, so spending a bit of ching on a suite is worth it as long as there is good food and things to do CLOSE....like "on site close"...loading up car seats and stuff like that is a real drag..
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Thu May 23, 2013 6:54 am

Slack, check out Hope Lake Lodge,...aka Greek Peak Ski Resort it's just down the road from my house. (stop by and I'll show you a Face Cord) !!!!!! :lol3: Year round activies, beautiful Resort, large Suites, Indoor Water Park, Alpine Slide, Zip Lines, Rope courses, Lake, on sight resturants as well as another great resturant, "The Gatherings" just down the road. Fingerlakes region close by with all kinds of activities, wine tours, boating, fishing, (Ithaca area Gorge walks, Water Falls, etc.)
Other family destinations Old Forge area (Adk Park) Enchanted Forest Water Safari, great Kids waterpark! Lots to do in Old Forge, Old Forge Hardware Store is a trip in it's self! Adirondak Musem in Blue Mtn. Lake is a short drive away.
Sea Breeze Amusement Park, older but fun park right on Lake Ontario.
Hope you find a great vacation. :thumbsup:
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Postby jeepman » Thu May 23, 2013 7:11 am

Lake George is nice and you are in close proximity to the shops and stuff so you could walk instead of loading up the car every time. I agree with you on Lake Placid,I live about 15 mins from there and it's over priced and over rated. Old forge is also nice, but your kids maybe still a bit little for the water parks and rope courses.
jeepman
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu May 23, 2013 7:21 am

Jeep,
Good friends of ours own(ed) Mel's diner and motel and then opened that new bagel place in town....they recently bailed on it all and went to Vegas. I love the brewery on the lake! Got a ticket there though....
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby jeepman » Thu May 23, 2013 8:04 am

I never made it to the bagel shop, but Placid does have some decent resturaunts. The brewery is good too. My wife and i go up there to the Goose Watch winery a few times year and pick up a few bottles of wine and walk the strip. The NYS trooper, Troop B head quarters and the DEC northern HQ are next door to each other about a mile down the road. They must make a fortune on tickets because they always have someone pulled over up there, especially if they have jersey plates.
jeepman
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Thu May 23, 2013 8:25 am

Brant lake NY
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu May 23, 2013 9:25 am

sssurfertim wrote:Brant lake NY

Is that near Goose Pond? :wink:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat May 25, 2013 8:12 am

Slack Tide wrote:Jeep,
Good friends of ours own(ed) Mel's diner and motel and then opened that new bagel place in town....they recently bailed on it all and went to Vegas. I love the brewery on the lake! Got a ticket there though....

What officer gaave you the ticket, slack? I know a few troopers up there.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat May 25, 2013 8:53 am

It was just a parking ticket on the side alley of the brewery on Mirror Lake....pretty good beer but no AC??? And it's on the second level??
Freakin hot in there.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting