Any season dates yet for NY?

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Any season dates yet for NY?

Postby sssurfertim » Wed May 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Anyone know any rumors of what the seasons will be this year? I heard LI will start Thanksgiving and go straight through. Looking to extend my season by hunting the southeast zone this fall more seriously this season and maybe even the Northzone.
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Re: Any season dates yet for NY?

Postby Huntyeraws » Thu May 30, 2013 4:38 pm

WNY Zone Waterfowl Season Setting Task Force Proposed Dates for 2013-2014 Season. This is what we agreed to.

Ducks - Sat Oct 26 - Sun Dec 8 - (44 days) ; Sat Dec 28 - Sun Jan 12 (16 days)

Youth Hunt Weekend - Sat Oct 12 and Sun Oct 13

West Central Canada Goose (Finger Lakes) - Sat Oct 26 - Sun Nov 24 (30 days) ; Sat Dec 28 - Mon Jan 16 (20 days)

Southern Zone Canada Goose - Sat Oct 26 - Sun Dec 15; Sat Dec 28 - Sun Jan 15; Mar 1 - Mar 10

Brant - Sat Oct 12 - Sun Nov 10 (30 days)

Snow Geese - Oct 1 - Jan 15; Jan 23 - Apr 15

DEC Proposed changes to Sept Nuisance Canada goose to increase harvest rates - raise limit to 15 birds/day; unplugged shotguns; use of e-callers; shooting hours 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour AFTER sunset - THIS IS NOT FINALIZED YET.

Dates and season lengths will depend on Federal and NYSDEC approval which should happen in late July/early August.
Owner/Trainer/Handler - HR Wine Country Water Lily SH http://i47.tinypic.com/2z65jic.jpg

Great Lakes American Water Spaniel Club @ http://www.greatlakesawsc.org

Lake Plains Waterfowl Association,Inc @ http://lakeplainswaterfowl.homestead.com
Huntyeraws
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu May 30, 2013 6:09 pm

I heard the same for LI, Tim. Thanksgiving through the last Sunday in January. Brant is only supposed to be 30 days, I think, so it'll be Dec 27 through the end.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Thu May 30, 2013 7:06 pm

Brant only 30days wow, what will everyone in Pt. Lookout shoot til than? :hammer: Would love to see looser restrictions on sept goose.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Thu May 30, 2013 7:27 pm

October goose season on LI looks interesting............
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu May 30, 2013 8:56 pm

sssurfertim wrote:October goose season on LI looks interesting............

??? One of the other things I heard being mulled around is the elimination of the Sept Goose seasons. What do you know?

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Fri May 31, 2013 5:29 am

I heard that too, idk why they like to eliminate them. We used to kill a lot of geese in September when we had the season here in the western zone. We used to average about 50 to 75 birds in a 3 week span when I was in Highschool up til they eliminated it. And of course they would scrap the season, I just got permission to hunt a private pond in Brookhaven. The owner of the estate wants me to get rid of the geese and I told them they have to wait til September. I guess with will be Nov now :rolleyes:
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby BayMan718 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:40 pm

proposed season dates LONG ISLAND ZONE....

duck season nov 28 - jan 26 opens on thanksgiving closes on last sunday of Jan. NO SPLIT

youth day nov 9 - nov 10

goose oct 5 - 20 nov 28 - feb 26 (western LI) no clue why were opening in oct. for geese and cutting the days in march off when some of the best goose hunting happens Feb. and March with the weather...plus so many other zones and seasons being open but guess the task force doesnt like goose hunting when its cold

brant dec 28 - jan 26 30 DAY SEASON...not sure where the feds came up with the idea for 30 days but should prove interesting...i expect a lot of brant poaching will take place next season...

sea duck oct 17 - jan 31 same as last year....but dont get used to it...BIG CHANGES on the way soon...and not for the good

also word has it broadbill will be going back to 2 birds....which will suck cause boy it was fun having at that 4 bird limit last season :grooving:

and timmy...if youre serious about extending your season next year let me know...ill be heading up solo for the NE zone opener for 3 days next season...might hit the area i was in last year...or might go even further up north...i got a ton of intel in both areas...wood ducks...teal and ringers...but youll need a kayak
“Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading "

Thomas Jefferson
BayMan718
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:19 pm

Bayman, any word on the early goose seasons for the central and eastern LI zones?

Frank
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:07 pm

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/91744.html

From the NYSDEC's website. Tentatively looks like they're keeping the broadbill limit at 4 per day. :grooving:
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Papabear » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:10 pm

just got this from DEC
===========================================================

TENTATIVE 2013-14 Waterfowl Seasons

Shooting Hours: one-half hour before sunrise to sunset.

Non-toxic Shot: Required

Season Zones: Most waterfowl seasons are set based on five waterfowl hunting zones that have been approved by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

NOTE: (1) The following hunting season dates will not be final until federal regulations have been adopted in late summer. Be sure to check the final regulations before going hunting; and (2) You must register with HIP to hunt any of these species.

Species

Western

Northeast

Lake
Champlaina

Southeast

Long
Island

Youth Days b
Oct 12 & 13 Sept 21 & 22 Sept 28 & 29 Sept 28 & 29 Nov 9 & 10

Ducks, Coots,
Mergansers
Oct 26 - Dec 8
Dec 28 - Jan 12 Oct 5 - Oct 13
Oct 26 - Dec 15 TBD Oct 12 - Oct 20
Nov 17 - Jan 6 Nov 28 - Jan 26

Sea Ducks
same as above same as above same as above same as above Oct 17 - Jan 31c

Snow Geesed

Oct 1 - Jan 15

Oct 1 - Jan 15 Oct 1 - Dec 29
Oct 1 - Jan 15
Nov 24 - Mar 10

Brant
Oct 12 - Nov 10 Oct 5 - Nov 3 TBD Oct 26 - Nov 24 Dec 28 - Jan 26

Canada Goose
Seasons
see map for Canada Goose Seasons

aHunting seasons for the Lake Champlain Zone will be announced in late August following a public meeting in Burlington, Vermont.
b Youth Days are additional days for Junior Hunters only. Young hunters, 12 to 15 years of age, possessing a junior hunting license may hunt ducks, coots, mergansers, Canada geese, and brant on 2 special days in each zone. Daily bag limits for ducks are the maximum allowed during the regular duck season, and 2 per day for Canada geese. Young hunters must be accompanied by a licensed (including current HIP registration and duck stamp) adult hunter, but the adult may not shoot any birds unless the respective regular season is open. Note: A 2012-13 hunting license is needed to hunt on any Youth Day in September 2013.
c In the special sea duck area only.
dIn addition to regular seasons listed in the table, waterfowl hunters may also take Snow Geese in the Western, Northeastern, Southeastern and Lake Champlain Zones during January 16 through April 15 as part of a Special Snow Goose Harvest program in New York.

2013-14 Waterfowl Bag Limits

Note: The following bag limits will not be final until federal regulations have been adopted in late summer. Be sure to check the final regulations before going afield.

The daily bag limit is the maximum number of birds of each species that any person may take or possess in the field during any one day. The possession limit is twice the daily bag limit for all waterfowl species except snow geese. The possession limit is the maximum number of birds that any person may possess in total in the field, at home, in transit or in storage.

Species

Daily Limit

Possession Limit

Ducks* 6 12
Sea Ducks** 7 14
Coot 15 30
Canada geese # see map
Snow geese 25 no limit
Brant 2 4

* The daily limit of 6 ducks includes all species of mergansers, and may include no harlequin ducks and no more than 4 mallards (no more than 2 of which may be hens), 1 black duck, 3 wood ducks, 2 pintail, 2 redheads, 4 scaup, 1 canvasback, 4 scoters or 2 hooded mergansers.

** The daily limit of 7 sea ducks (scoters, eiders and long-tailed ducks - formerly called oldsquaw) is in addition to the regular duck bag in coastal waters of the Long Island Zone only. No more than 4 scoters may be included in the daily bag of sea ducks. In all other areas, sea ducks are part of the regular duck bag limit.

# Cackling geese and white-fronted geese may be taken as part of the Canada goose daily and possession limits. Snow geese and Ross' geese may be taken as part of the snow goose limits.

Outdoor Activities Hunting Waterfowl and Migratory Game Bird Hunting Waterfowl Seasons and Information TENTATIVE 2013-14 Waterfowl Seasons
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed-For Those Who Don't None Will Do
WE HUNT BY SIGHT-NOT BY SOUND
Papabear
hunter

Postby BayMan718 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:36 am

Whistlerwhittler wrote:http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/91744.html

From the NYSDEC's website. Tentatively looks like they're keeping the broadbill limit at 4 per day. :grooving:

thats good news...hope it sticks :thumbsup:

now i just hope it gets cold enough like last season to push all those bills down....
“Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading "

Thomas Jefferson
BayMan718
hunter

Postby BayMan718 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:41 am

Frank Lopez wrote:Bayman, any word on the early goose seasons for the central and eastern LI zones?

Frank

as bill aka papabear posted....

Sept. 3rd to 30th both zones....8 birds per day...

western closed till oct. 5th...still think it should be set up like last season but 2 stubborn people on the task force wanted it opened in october.. :rolleyes:

Thomas Jefferson
BayMan718
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:45 am

I was being an optimist when I noted that scaup limit Bayman, sorry.

After posting I mentionned that 4 bird limit to a friend who is a biologist. He said that will depend on this year's BPOP survey results, which aren't out yet. We'll have to keep our fingers crossed.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby BayMan718 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:22 pm

Whistlerwhittler wrote:I was being an optimist when I noted that scaup limit Bayman, sorry.

After posting I mentionned that 4 bird limit to a friend who is a biologist. He said that will depend on this year's BPOP survey results, which aren't out yet. We'll have to keep our fingers crossed.

all good....ive heard 2 different stories so far...one the bills are lookin to be slightly up..another even with last season so it should stay at 4...why they wanted to drop it back to 2 would make no sense if they did well breeding...but who knows last year they said they were down then WHAM 4 birds...makes you go :huh:

im also curious why brant is being cut to 30 days this season...last season was the most juvies i saw in the last 5 years...also noted the brant stayed here on the wintering grounds longer this year then in years past...i hope this lag effect did not screw up the count thus the drop in days...

Thomas Jefferson
BayMan718
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:43 am

I heard that the winter brant counts in New Jersey were down. Not necessarily because there were less birds, but because they were feeding in different areas because of the hurricane damage. The new feeding areas were not part of the survey area.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting