Slack's Pistol Interview

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Slack's Pistol Interview

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:17 pm

Wow.....is all I can say...
This is really something..
Here goes...

There is a lot more to it than this, but for those of you have been following...you know the back story.. Here is today's chapter.
(3 months and 13 days since initial paperwork) at Long Island, NY

I went to headquarters and met with the Inspector, get finger prints, pictures and review personal data (keep in mind, this is for an OWN permit....not CC)..
He was very official and walked me through all the papers and the ownership manual that I have to pay $5 for every year to update. I think he said that I have to go every year for another $5 to update my photo (and he told me that it's ok to smile for that one)...
I was there for about an hour. He told me that "I am going to go through one of the most intense background searches in the nation." When I get my permit in 4 to 6 months...they will mail me my permit. When it's time to buy my first gun...I will show the store my permit and they will give me a paid receipt. I have to drive to HQ with the receipt and they will add that gun to my license....then I can go back to the store to actually pick it up.
From there I own it...
I swear I'm not making this up.
Now I own it....to get to the range (how freakin' bizarre is this?) I can carry it loaded and concealed TOO and FROM the range and stop for a "quick meal"...But the officer advised..."but why would you want to do that? Just save yourself the trouble because I've almost shot people for this"...
But if I want to...I can go to a place that is NOT designated primarily as a bar and if I go to a place that serves alcohol...I must sit as far from the bar as I can get (just to be safe)....
Man..I am dizzy from this experience...but I am hanging in there..
Tomorrow I have to have my references fill out affidavits that they have to pay to notarize and send them back to HQ....
More to come (in a few months that is!) :hi:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Slack's Pistol Interview

Postby awspaniel » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Ya' gotta' be kidding me. You're stuck in the middle of someone's power trip. "I've almost shot people for this".????
This defies all reasonable logic.They're making you do all these pushups just becasuse they can. Hang tough!
awspaniel
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:27 pm

awspaniel wrote:Ya' gotta' be kidding me. You're stuck in the middle of someone's power trip. "I've almost shot people for this".????
This defies all reasonable logic.They're making you do all these pushups just becasuse they can. Hang tough!

I'm not goin' anywhere....
This is just NY man... I am 42 year old teacher...married win two babies....ZERO record...nothing...one red light ticket 13 years ago..I don't exist on paper...so believe me when I tell you that this Is just the system that everyone goes through now here...
Where are you?.....
Last edited by Slack Tide on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby jeepman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:43 pm

[quote="Slack Tide"]
This is just NY man... I am 42 year old teacher...married win two babies....ZERO record...nothing...one red light ticket 13 years ago..I don't exist on paper...so believe me when I tell you that this Is just the system that everyone goes through now here...

Slack, I hear you. It makes me sick when i talk to buddies that live in other states with minimal or no permit process. I got mine almost 10 years ago and had a federal secret security clearence and I guess that wasn't enough at the time. Hang in there the hard part is mostly over aside from waiting and taking a day off from work as well as your life to actually purchase your handgun.
jeepman
hunter

Postby BayMan718 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:45 am

and to think...on the eastern shore of VA. so long as youre...18...have a valid drivers license...and no criminal history you can plop down your cash and walk out with the handgun of choice so long as your federal background check comes back legit and the weapon is worn in full view....

something is VERYYYYYYYYY wrong with this STATE

5 more years and im out of here...can not wait

good luck with your fight...hope it all works out for you :thumbsup:
“Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading "

Thomas Jefferson
BayMan718
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:17 am

BayMan718 wrote:something is VERYYYYYYYYY wrong with this STATE
:thumbsup:

And you have to realize, this is entirely different- county by county too...even east of Riverhead b/c it's run by the Sheriff's office is diff
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby awspaniel » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:39 am

[/quote]
I'm not goon anywhere....
Where are you?.....[/quote]

I'm north of Syracuse. I lived in southern Onondaga Co. when I got my permit.That was a long time ago.
Two months,sometimes less to get your permit. No interview,just paper work. I kinda' figured,in the digital
age, it'd take about 10 minutes on a computer to know anyone's life history.....So why all the B.S. now? There's
no valid reason to turn you down,so I'm guessing that the people that wrote up this protocall ,put enough hoops
in it hoping that most applicants would give up.....??
awspaniel
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:38 am

This is allllllll Cuomo and post New Town gun fear...They tell me that a lot of this wait is from the back log of applicants as a reaction to stricter gun laws...

Here's another one that just popped into my mind..I am restricted to only having 8 rounds in a 10 round clip at home...but may fully load the clip once at the range...
What a joke
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:49 am

This bothers me.... i turn 21 end of September... grown up with pistols and long arms (grew up in a military / police family) and im afraid of how long its going to take me to get my sportsman..... im on the 5 year plan too though..... 5 years and hopefully well me Missouri way.
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby mwc4fishing » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:12 pm

Like you said, a few miles east and it's a totally different experience. I've told you before about my story east of Riverhead, they treat you like a law abiding citizen with rights, not a threat...
Hang in there.
mwc4fishing
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:39 am

The guy was very nice and informative. He was not trying to dissuade me in any way while there. I just got the feeling that they were just insanely backed up and it's a civil service bureaucracy that you used to tease DMV about...
the problem is that once you begin to bitch...you're done and you know it...so tick tock.....here I sit.
What am I going to do? Call Newsday? Channel 12?
"Suffolk County school teacher upset that getting a gun takes so long!"....
yeeeeeeah...great headline
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:24 pm

I turned my handguns in when I got divorced.. I had to re apply and they called my ex and asked her if they would feel threatened if I got my guns back
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:15 am

wackemstackem wrote:I turned my handguns in when I got divorced.. I had to re apply and they called my ex and asked her if they would feel threatened if I got my guns back

So I guess you didn't get your guns back then?? :lol3:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:30 am

They're all back in the safe :smile:
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby bighillbilly » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:02 pm

Slack - If you recall from a previous thread on this subject, I put in my paperwork the last week of December 2012. Not one word from anyone yet. None of my references have been contacted, nothing. This is in Erie County in Western New York State. Strange the contrast between counties in the same state.
Good luck and keep us posted.
bighillbilly
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:56 pm

July 29th and zero............
no calls
no ref checks
FKin crickets.......

chirp chirp
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting