first season

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

first season

Postby overunderwaterfowl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:27 pm

I'll be starting my first season duck hunting this fall and im just looking for some pointers on finding ducks I plan on using a boat blind with decoys and some calls I plan on hunting around crown point ny and it's mostly mallards and black ducks around here any pointers are appreciated
overunderwaterfowl
hunter

Re: first season

Postby jeepman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:20 am

The best thing to do is drive in the car or motor around with binoculars and look for birds. Also plan on getting to you spot pretty early. You won't be the only one doing this.
jeepman
hunter

Postby overunderwaterfowl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Thanks for the input I appreciate it definitely going to start getting on glass
overunderwaterfowl
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:37 pm

how big is your boat? that area is a well known for waterfowling. there will be competition. Id suggest driving every nook and cranny , looking for places to launch your boat from...that way you know all your oprions the night before you hunt, and can go with any weather pattern that's coming. youd be better off finding a nice farm with a creek all to your own...but that is harder and harder to do. opening day is one of your best chances...scout often, don't motor into all the spots, try to scout from afar...and be prepared to get up very early to get the spot you want. I think the VT side of the lake has blind stake rules...I have seen where people put a stake in the water and claim it as their own... have a back up plan.. don't call like crazy unless you are real good....the best way to hunt for a newbie is to watch a lot, pick a spot HIDE VERY GOOD, and don't mess it up... that means not a lot of misplaced decoys! and no hacking away on the yazoo duck commander dohickie ha ha

early season you wont need to call teal, they will just bomb you.

just know things change...watch the weather!! especially up on the Canadian border... the lake gets a lot of duck traffic.

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby overunderwaterfowl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:41 pm

I dont believe there is a stake rule on the ny side but I could be wrong I'll look into it I'll be sure to get on glass alot more and I plan on using a 13ft aluminum boat with a custom natural brush blind I'm building thanks for the all the info I appreciate it
overunderwaterfowl
hunter

Postby jeepman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:25 pm

overunderwaterfowl wrote: I plan on using a 13ft aluminum boat with a custom natural brush blind I'm building thanks for the all the info I appreciate it

I'd be super careful in that! I know Champlain is narrower down there near crown point but those south winds can still be rough. what also can make it dangerous is the fact that a lot of the good hunting there and other places around the lake is a ride from public launches which can be hell in bad weather. with that said even a light wind with 2 foot chop can swamp that little boat. I am just speaking from experiences I had while hunting out of a 12 foot sea nymph. ToolMaker brought up some good points about creeks and possibly rivers. that 13fter would serve you better on those than the main lake unless you knew for sure the weather was going to be perfect. Not trying to talk you out of hunting the lake, just giving you my honest input.
jeepman
hunter

Postby overunderwaterfowl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:40 am

Thats a very good point hopefully the weather will work in my favor most days but I figured the lake would be the best to learn on
overunderwaterfowl
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting