3 mile bay experience

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

3 mile bay experience

Postby brezcrew » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:16 pm

Hello, new to the forum but excited I found it. I usually hunt nw zone but was thinking of trying oneida lake to get a few more early weeks in. I have fished there alot and was thinking of trying 3 mile bay or big bay for duck hunting. I have a boat but could not think of any other spots off the top of my head. I don't know anybody with camps on the lake so state land or undeveloped parts are my options for now I guess. I have a 1year old lab that has her commands down and I am dying to try her out.
Any help would be great, Thanks
MARC

My wife tells me to bring something home for dinner when I go hunting. So I make sure to stop at Wegmans before I go.
brezcrew
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:14 am

Those are probably the most hunted spots on the lake. I believe some people actually camp out the night before in some cases. I personally hunt some other spots that are a little less crowded.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby 870 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:29 pm

brezcrew :welcome: to DHC what part of the NW zone do you hunt?
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby brezcrew » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:33 pm

I usually hunt a few small ponds out past camillus/warners way. Usually do pretty well but I am a jazzed to have a dog and can't wait. That's why I was thinking of trying oneida first. :getdown:
MARC

My wife tells me to bring something home for dinner when I go hunting. So I make sure to stop at Wegmans before I go.
brezcrew
hunter

Postby magicBB » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:28 pm

I hunted 3 mile bay once. I will never go back. It was the only time since I started hunting that I wished I was back in bed. I think I spent the first 1/2 hour hugging the bottom of the marsh dodging bb's and t's.

The spending the night post from CLUTCHfan is dead on. We got to a spot a 2:30. People were already at other spots. Not 15 minutes to shooting time 2 groups set up on either side of us not 15 yards away. Two guys and a dog came down and set up directly across from us (maybe 50 yards away if that) and proceeded to shoot at ducks that were decoying into our spread. Lakeview and some other places further north have a zoo atmosphere but nothing has come close to that circus.

Best of luck to everyone but I hold my breath for anyone that hunts 3 mile, at least on opening weekend.
magicBB
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:00 pm

That would take the fun out of hunting real quick, they actually set up 50yds across from you and shot at ducks decoying to your rig. Unbelievable :pissed:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby magicBB » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:27 pm

Yeah 870 it was beyond pathetic. I was just nervous someone might lose an eye in the whole deal. I didn't pull the trigger until the guy across from us left and went deeper into the back swamp. Now the cats next to us really didn't care they blasted at birds from all directions. I would have picked up and moved if I was given time but all the crowding started like 10 minutes before sunrise. We ended up ok. Lots of birds kept coming in way past the 8:30, 9:00 am leavers, plenty of room to decoy and call the birds after that. Like I said that first 1/2 hour was the only time I can remember wanting to be back in bed rather than the blind.
magicBB
hunter

Postby brezcrew » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:27 pm

I think I have heard enough about oneida :thumbsdown: I just liked the idea it was close to home. Maybe I'll look into ontario or st.lawrence. But I definently do want to put up with that nonsense.
MARC

brezcrew
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:27 am

Sounds like my opening day experience :pissed: . It even gets worse when everyone around you is calling at 5am, and it didnt sound pretty. It sounded like they were killing a seagull with a bag-pipe. :toofunny:

Good luck trying to avoid all the opening day idiots,
t-man :salude:
T-MAN
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting