Duck Hunting Forum banner

New Yorks Youth hunt blunder

881 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  CLUTCHfan 
#1 ·
Normally would not even bring this up but this one could not go with out a mention. New York's Youth hunt weekend (sort of speak) happen this past Sunday for most in the Western New York area. But for some, by mistake I am sure it came a day early. Normally, it has opened on Saturday and Sunday but this year for what ever reason they thought better of a Saturday Sunday hunt for the youth. Instead, it was Sunday and Monday

Just for kicks I took a ride out to the swamps and guess what I seen. At least 12 differnt groups of guys out with their sons and or daughters on Saturday morning Guns "O" Blazing. The few that I actually ran into and talk with were completly shocked that it was a Sunday and Monday hunt.

I'm not really sure if anyone got any tickets but what a blunder.
Imagine getting a ticket in front of your youthful hunter.....hmmmm because you did not carefully read the regs. (no excuses you got to read the regs)
Maybe next year they will go back to the Saturday Sunday deal for the youth hunt.

Keep swinging,

Randell

See less See more
#2 ·
:toofunny: I'm sorrry thats too funny

after the father gets his ticket, he looks to his son and says......

"what did you learn today son?"

"Remember to always read the regs Dad."

"Thats right son..... now remember don't tell mom"

BTW Randel :welcome: to DHC glad to have you with us

#3 ·
I was just reading this post. Personally I don't like the "youth days". First of all it's too early, all the birds have nothing but pin feathers, they spoil easily in the heat, and it drives birds off their summer ponds early. We never had the Youth Days. We had to wait for opening day, and it made the opener "magical" for us. Can anyone explain to me the logic behind having a 2 day youth season? It certainly opens the door for the "outlaws to go out and blast away early.

#4 ·
Personally, I think the Youth days are a good idea. The adult is not allowed to hold or shoot the shotgun, and I personally think that this will result in the youth hunter getting the proper instruction, both in safety and ethics. It's tough to concentrate fully on what someone else is doing, if you're hunting as well. The numbers of hunters is declining at an alarming rate in this state, and we need to do everything we can to get more people involved.
If people are going to break the law, they are going to break the law, and one extra weekend isn't going to make a big difference to them. It does make a big difference to the kids who are able to get their first ducks on their own day, with little or no pressure compared to our regular season.

Just my opinion.

#6 ·
Good point I guess. I know when I was just beginning, my dad put more focus on me being safe and doing things properly, than he did on his own personal success. I guess times have changed. I shot my first duck at 11 years old, and it was on opening day, I was sitting in a duck blind amongst all the adults. It just seems like shooting ducks in September is almost like shooting tame ducks.

#8 ·
Well if we're going off on this lets get all fired up!!!!! Personally I think if its bull crap to start the season in the middle of a week, period. I was sent a questionnaire on the seasons and there opening days. They gave me the names and numbers of those that make up this "TASK FORCE" the one in my area is a guide. In this questionnaire they asked what I thought of the past seasons and their opening dates. BIG MISTAKE I answered their question with a question that was "Who was the idiot to close the season on Thanksgiving week when all the kids were back from collage and out of high school for the week. I went on to tell them of what I thought of there season dates and those who made up there "task force" This was a few seasons ago, thing's have changed little for us, they now are opening up our second season in the middle of the week STUPID!!! :mad:

I went to ask them, who better to benefit from not closing it on Thanksgiving week better than young hunters still in school /collage. Also who benefits from opening it up mid-week more than the guides who have all the hot spots for days before the blue color workers get the chance to hunt. :mad: Just my 2c

#9 ·
Thats what I'm talking about.....IDIOTS I E-Mailed these fools and asked what the reason for a mid-week opener was. They replied that hunters were split 50% to 50% for and agaisnt. I find this hard to believe & I'll go out on a limb.......YOU'RE A FOOL IF YOU VOTED FOR THIS... :umm: :boxing: :boxing2: It's about the youngsters, how are they supposed to be excited about hunting fowl.....When they're in SCHOOL (which is important also) I got some Ideas for the "TASK FORCE" none of them are NICE :sniper: :gatgun: :saw: :headbang:

:soapbox:

Just my .02 CENTS

:sorry: Don

#10 ·
870...I agree what a bunch of idiots :stouff: ...to be conservative.
wheredos that guide dude live!! Maybe he needs an attitude ajustment!! :thumbsup: :hammer:

Quack, I bet the surveys were split between the average hunter and guides!! :thumbsdown:

#13 ·
i agree that it should be on weekends also, but my old man use to take me out for the trout opener every year. it was mostly on weekdays and i loved playin hookey with my dad on that one day a year,we always had the best times when i missed school and he called into work.

#14 ·
captainduckhead said:
Good point I guess. I know when I was just beginning, my dad put more focus on me being safe and doing things properly, than he did on his own personal success. I guess times have changed. I shot my first duck at 11 years old, and it was on opening day, I was sitting in a duck blind amongst all the adults. It just seems like shooting ducks in September is almost like shooting tame ducks.
Earlier this year while out bass fishing (with MeganzerCommander, I believe), I was watching a family that was fishing off the dock of a camp. Father, Mother, few kids, one of which was a boy of about four or five. The father turns to help out one of the other kids, and hands his rod to the five year old boy. All the sudden the kid gets a hit and, I'm not kidding you here, the guy says "That's My Pole" and rips the rod out of the kids hand so that he could catch "His" fish. I was stunned, and this might seem to be an extreme example, but when I take my neices out fishing, the only time I really do any fishing is if they're eating their sandwiches. By me not fishing, I am further able to concentrate on what they are doing, and that they have a good time, which is why I took them out in the first place. Now the guy on the dock may be far more extreme an example than what happens in the blind, but by not hunting, you are more able to devote all your time to the kid, and make it about them.

As far as setting the dates, the committees that make the suggestion are announced ahead of time, and I will post up those meetings when I hear of them next year. I save up my time from work, so that I can hunt a few weekdays during the season, especially the openers if they fall on a weekday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.