New to ducks and on Ft Drum

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

New to ducks and on Ft Drum

Postby Jimmy82 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:41 am

This coming season will be my first try at duck hunting. I do most of my hunting on Ft Drum and was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to tell me what kind of ducks frequent this area. I was out of state last season and didn't get a chance to really scout any ducks. I'm on a budget and can't afford a massive fleet of decoys so I want to be specific as possible while I'm starting out. I plan on hunting the smaller ponds/lakes scattered around the training area. Been browsing the tips section and such as well, but I welcome any area specific tips or tricks.
Jimmy82
hunter

Re: New to ducks and on Ft Drum

Postby labtrainer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:26 am

Just get some mallard decoys, most any of the puddle ducks you will encounter on Fort Drum will decoy to them just fine.
Good Luck :thumbsup:
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Postby DukBum » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:07 pm

labtrainer wrote:Just get some mallard decoys, most any of the puddle ducks you will encounter on Fort Drum will decoy to them just fine.
Good Luck :thumbsup:
All you need to get started is a doz mallard decoys ,some waders ,and a duck call,learn to use the call.Keep it simple
There is more to this then just killing ducks
DukBum
State Moderator

Postby brmotorhead » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:53 pm

Those ponds and swamps on the training area that you speak of can be excellent holes for migrating wood ducks and teal, and yea you will probably get a fair share of mallards and maybe some blacks. Im not sure how much pressure they get from other hunters, from what i gather most people seem to target deer on ft drum mainly. Ive never hunted them myself, but ive hunted certain waters and swamps just outside of ft drum. My advise, get a handful of mallards, but def get a good doz of wood ducks cuz you should have some excellent wood duck hunting in the first split!
brmotorhead
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Awesome, thanks guys. Really looking forward to it. There is tremendous pressure on the deer in the training area, I spent most of deer season chasing grouse because I was too frustrated with all the deer hunters. This will give me another outlet :)
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby jeepman » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:04 pm

Jimmy82 wrote: There is tremendous pressure on the deer in the training area, I spent most of deer season chasing grouse because I was too frustrated with all the deer hunters

Are you stationed there or just living next to drum and hunting the ranges? I was stationed there for 6 years and used to bow hunt turkey and deer right on the EIB site next to division as well as TA-2. Hardly anyone hunted on post when I was there from 01 - 06. I know that with the 3rd brigade moving in there a few years back, Drum has exploded in size, but I'd bet that there is still some good hunting to be had right on post. Also Something I wish I would have taken more advantage of on drum is the 3D archery course and a world class skeet range right behind MWR.
jeepman
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:57 am

I'm stationed here. I'm going to bow hunt in the cantonment area this year, but I'm still not sure how willing I am to try the ranges during the gun season. I missed the qualification period to hunt in the cantonment area last year because of JRTC.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby jeepman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:14 pm

Jimmy82 wrote:I'm stationed here. I'm going to bow hunt in the cantonment area this year, but I'm still not sure how willing I am to try the ranges during the gun season. I missed the qualification period to hunt in the cantonment area last year because of JRTC.

I hear ya, JRTC an NTC deployments never happened during the times of year no one wanted to be on Drum. Like the dead of winter.
jeepman
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting