Are you prepared for Saturday?

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Are you prepared for Saturday?

Postby cobber » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:37 pm

I'm starting to have trouble sleeping. The southeast zone opens on Saturday. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas morning every year around this time.

Most of my openers have gone well. Though moving from NJ to central NY has thrown me for a bit of a loop. It is tough finding areas to hunting that you did not grow up with.

Last year I thought I was all set. Found and scouted and area full of birds. Boat, dog and decoys were ready. I was all set. I thought! Got setup early on the foggy, dark morning. Legal shooting time came and shortly thereafter a pair of mallards. It was still a bit dark and it was my pups first hunt so I let them land and then leave. I wanted the pup to be see the action. Well 10 minutes later it's a little lighter and I'm ready to go. 5 Mallards commit to the decoys and I pick a drake out of the group. Pull the trigger. Nothing. Bad shell right? I eject and reload in time for the next pair coming in. Put the gun on the drake. Pull the trigger. Nothing. For the next 30 minutes I tear the gun apart in the boat and find that a crutial spring in the mechanism is broken and I can't fix it.

I packed up and went home. Almost left the gun in the water. Deep. Must have had 30-40 ducks in the decoys. I never fired a shot. Worst part was that I fired that gun only 2 weeks prior. Not sure how, why or when it busted.

Won't be the same this year. I hope.

Anyone else have a good opening day story?
cobber
hunter

opening day

Postby army guy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:54 pm

I'm getting excited myself, this will be my first opening day. Spent the day with a buddy scouting the tonawanda wma. Seen a buch of birds, then it was off to gander mountain to pick up the last few odds and ends. Best of luck to you and everyone else opening day. I'm sure by the end of opening day i'll be able to provide some great comic relief.
army guy
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:51 pm

Cobber I hate to say this man, but I know just what you went though, sounds like what happened to me man. For a long time after that I brought two guns, just to make sure. Well I hope things work out better for you tomorrow. Later Bro

SLEEP... YA RIGHT :toofunny:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:08 am

How did everyone do last weekend?

We got into a few for the SE opener and Lily was a champ.

harvey1b
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:37 pm

AT-A-BOY harvey :salude: lost cherry :umm:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby kaylasbadshot » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:56 am

great job harvey. i can finally join in the anticipation of saturday because its finally our opener. i was out bowhunting last night and was 150 yards away from the pothole pond i will be hunting saturday and in awe of the amount of birds landing in the pond. i saw lots of mallards, woodies geese and even a few teal. i guess the duck ID class i took really helped me learn to identify ducks better. anyways it was a great afternoon listening to whistling mallards and woodies. hopefullly my pup can get her first retrieve too!!!
kaylasbadshot
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:33 pm

870 wrote:AT-A-BOY harvey :salude: lost cherry :umm:

Thanks buddy. My first NY duck happened to be my first drake woodie!

kayla, good luck on Saturday. It sounds like you have a sweet spot
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:08 pm

I scouted out a new, large beaver pond last Thursday and found a good wood duck hole. I love finding a good, out of the way wood duck spot. Got a tree stand built for my dog out of every last scrap piece of wood I had. Can't wait for Saturday's opener.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

First satruday

Postby belljl45 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:19 am

I'd have to say I scouted and saw a bunch of birds and when I hunted the susquehanna river we were suprized to have hunters hunting the other end of the island we were hunting. We only saw maybe a dozen birds all morning. Seemed to be very slow. We did take a drake woodie. could be because of the corn not being cut in the area that we were hunting? Or the flood? any ideas?
belljl45
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting