Niagara River Sea Ducks

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Niagara River Sea Ducks

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:21 pm

I was wondering when the sea ducks (oldsquaw, scoter) show up on the Niagara River. Can you hunt them during the first split or do you have to wait till after Christmas? Also, do any stores in that area sell sea duck decoys?
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby IRISH56 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:38 pm

Limited experience on the Niagara but I'll tell you what I have seen. 1st off, never have seen either oldsquaw or scoters on the river, have heard of oldsquaw being shot but never scoter. Outside of bufflehead I've only seen a handful of divers before the 2nd season.

2nd season I've seen a whole lot of divers, g-eye, cans, redheads, bluebills, ringnecks, b-head.

Pardon the ignorance on my part but do you differentiate between "divers" and "sea ducks"???

DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:50 pm

Thanks Irish. Yes I do differentiate between the two groups. I was just curious if someone had any info on the oldsquaw (and possibly scoter) on the river because I have heard of people hunting for oldsquaw out there. Was also curious about the decoy availability because a friend out there was thinking about giving it a try.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:30 pm

The upper river is filled with divers from hopefully mid november through the end of the season. Bills, redheads, whistlers, buffles, canvasbacks, just everything. The oldsquaw and scoters you are looking for dont really show up until dec and are thick through the late season into spring but they are in the lower river and you need a boat to hunt them. Limits of oldsquaw can be had daily without a problem. Here is a link to a pretty good guide service around here and feel free to contact me. I hunt the upper niagara about 8 times during the season, the lower I usually take out a boat just once to limit out on longtails. I also took a nice pair from the shore in wilson ny last late season that I put on the wall.
http://www.dougscharterfishingservice.c ... nting.html
Sea duck hunting on Niagara River, Lake Ontarioe with any additional questions..
Last edited by Jpensyl on Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:36 pm

As for decoys try these in ganglines behind the boat, just the oldsquaw will do you fine, but if your not from the area I'd recommend the guide service they will show you a great time and I personally guarantee you your 7 birds if you can shoot at all.. (Bring atleast 2 boxes) and they will be happy to put you into some monster steelhead and lakers if you'd like when your done.
,http://www.knutsondecoys.com/decoy_duck/sea_duck.html
Knutson's Sea Duck Decoys Scoter, Brant, Old Squaw, Eider, Merganser,
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:57 am

Thanks a lot for the advice Jp! Nice Pics.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting