Well my boats home

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Well my boats home

Postby 870 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Hers a few pic's. She won't be in the water this year dew to lack of funds. The blind I'm going to build for it I want to take my time and do it right. With early goose and wood coming, I won't have the time to do it the way I want.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Re: Well my boats home

Postby bb4 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:34 am

Looks nice. What are the specs? Length, width(beam), weight etc. should be a safe stable ride.
thanks
Bill
bb4
Newb

Postby 870 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:53 pm

7ft x18ft @ 700 lbs gunnel and hull 3/16 nearly 14ft of storage in the seats as well as storage up in the bow. Rated for a 50hp
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby awspaniel » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:20 am

Great looking boat! I'm trying not to drool too much. ' Transom looks like it's set up for a short shaft?? You gonna' try and get some primer on it this year,just to avoid oxidation problems? It looks like a dandy. I'm guessing it was worth the long wait.
I'm glad it's finally in your yard.
awspaniel
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:33 am

The hull looks great 870. You will like that little bit of V in the stern.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby GREGS » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:41 pm

Purdy and Sturdy.
GREGS
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:08 pm

Thanks guy, she'll be a good one. I want to pimp out the blind, then enter it in a duck boat contest through Wildfowl Mag that'll be next year though :rolleyes:
State Moderator

Postby GREGS » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:02 am

It's always fun to build it yourself the way you like it.
Time and money always seem to be in short supply.
Good luck with the contest and keep us posted with the progress.
GREGS
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:44 pm

Thanks will do
State Moderator

Postby toolmaker » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:25 pm

I don't know if you already have a motor, but that looks like a short shaft motor transom.....for the big lake that is a huge set back in my opinion....if I could have my way Id make my boats all 25" transoms!!!

is there foam under the floor??

let me know if you need anything machined up for your blind...brackets or hangers ect....

what is your plan????

I also have a remote control 48 special........150 psi compression.......camoed

lonely

ooops...21 " shaft

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:56 pm

No one around here tool has long shafts no one. I've been in the ruffest stuff the lake can through at me and never had any problems, it's not needed. The foam is in between the floors from bow to stern.

I might be getting in touch with you on the brackets. I don't want to spill the beans over the airways, but what I have in mind for the top I can't find any where on the internet.

My plan is to win first prise :yes:

I'm stoaked. All I need now is the money, oh and time, not this year I want to do it right :rolleyes:

I am taking it up to get the trailer fitted to the boat next week. I'm going to rewwork the trailer to make it a breeze for one man to load it
State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:47 am

Are you going to put your current Honda on that boat? Or are you looking for another motor?
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:17 pm

870 wrote:No one around here tool has long shafts no one. I've been in the ruffest stuff the lake can through at me and never had any problems, it's not needed. The foam is in between the floors from bow to stern.

I might be getting in touch with you on the brackets. I don't want to spill the beans over the airways, but what I have in mind for the top I can't find any where on the internet.

My plan is to win first prise :yes:

I'm stoaked. All I need now is the money, oh and time, not this year I want to do it right :rolleyes:

I am taking it up to get the trailer fitted to the boat next week. I'm going to rewwork the trailer to make it a breeze for one man to load it

if you haven't been swamped on the big lake, then you haven't been in the "ruffest" :huh: the lake can "through" :huh: (slack can I get some help here??)

that is just plain silly talk........why did'!nt you just get an 11 foot boat then??????? ill tell you, because bigger is better and safer

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby mwc4fishing » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:57 pm

I'm not a metal boat guy, but nice looking boat. My SB is glass and my Toller DH is wood and glass - but I'm not taking on big water. Look forward to seeing the finished product.
mwc4fishing
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:58 pm

There is a point tool when wisdon comes into play. I've been playing this game for 47 years now, so I know what I'm talking about. I'm the guy people call when their introuble, at times I think I am 911. As far as medal v glass, we have too much hard/short water around here, no thanks I'll stick with medal it goes back to the 47 years thing. Thasnks mwc I plan on posting pics for nothing more than to twist tools nipple, I th
ink he's mad because I didn't buy his lod boat LOL :beer:
State Moderator

Postby toolmaker » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:13 pm

870 wrote:There is a point tool when wisdon comes into play. I've been playing this game for 47 years now, so I know what I'm talking about. I'm the guy people call when their introuble, at times I think I am 911. As far as medal v glass, we have too much hard/short water around here, no thanks I'll stick with medal it goes back to the 47 years thing. Thasnks mwc I plan on posting pics for nothing more than to twist tools nipple, I th
ink he's mad because I didn't buy his lod boat LOL :beer:

wisdom and a tall transom are safer than wisdom and a short transom!! PERIOD

you better have a short shaft motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats the ONLY reason acceptable

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:36 pm

Like I said before, no one around here have long shafts, we don't need them, you ocean boys can have them :thumbsup:

I'd post pic's of my old boat.but my computer is acting up proving that I have a short shaft like every one else up here.
State Moderator

Postby GREGS » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:41 am

"I have a short shaft like every one else up here." :sad:

Is that some kind of mutated gene thing or a result of innerbreeding ?

I should move up there. I would fit right in. Then I could lie to my wife without worry. :wink:
GREGS
hunter

Postby cenzach » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Looks like one of them fancy rigs, next you will be eating mergansers. I still have some in the freezer if you are interested.
cenzach
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:06 am

cenzach wrote:Looks like one of them fancy rigs, next you will be eating mergansers. I still have some in the freezer if you are interested.

hahahaha who knows, what's up man long time no hear :hi:
State Moderator

Postby milkman08 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:10 am

Nice boat 870, all you have to do is stay ahead of the waves and a short shaft is fine :wink: . Just don't slow down.
milkman08
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:07 am

milkman08 wrote:Nice boat 870, all you have to do is stay ahead of the waves and a short shaft is fine :wink: . Just don't slow down.

don't lecture the master....everyone knows that the water up there isn't near as wet as the water down here, and everyone knows that a 3ft waves up there is smaller than a 1 foot wave down here...and the boats up there automatically point into the waves.,....its like naturally programed!!! and, and and

if you want to get a banded bird...you have to go SOMEPLACE ELSE!! ha ha ha

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:28 am

well you our right tool on the banded birds.

You have to let it go tool, I went with the boat I first ordered :rolleyes:

I look at it this way, if you know how to decoy you don't need 3 1/2 guns and if you know how to handle a boat you'll be fine with a short shaft :tongue:
State Moderator

Postby toolmaker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:29 am

whats the famous quote from the movie "JAWS"??

it didn't get famous because the captain didn't know what he was doing!! :bow:

none of the boats that make it back to the dock NEEDED a taller transom...but some of the ones that didn't ....might have!!!

and besides. shooting birds over decoys is boring.....ask frank( is he still around) ...shooting them 70 yards away is much more fun :eek: :eek:

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:16 pm

First off it wasn't the Capt who said they needed a bigger boat, it was the local cop. The reason they didn't make it back in that boat was the shark ate the transom. :rolleyes: I'm not going for sharks this is fesh water remember. :fingerhead:
State Moderator

Next

Return to New York Duck Hunting