Irioquois/Tonowanda/Oak Orchard

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Irioquois/Tonowanda/Oak Orchard

Postby Dep666 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:01 pm

Just in from the western half of NY ......JUST IN TIME FOR SAT OPENER!

Irioquois wildlife refuge is closed until further notice! There was too much run off from the snow storm last week and the entire area is flooded. All the trial markers are gone or underwater. From what I am hearing, the entire area is one big lake.
Oak orchard did not fair any better. I have reports of all ther dikes being under water, and there is all open water and very very little cover. Its my understanding that the entire area is un-wadeable.

Now Tonowanda is in the same boat. Mass flooding and the conditions are dangerous. Guys who are hunting Tonowanda and Oak Orchard.......Be careful...a few ducks isn't worth it......Good luck boys!
Dep666
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:42 pm

I have been bow hunting the iroquois refuge all week long and let me say the water levels are 3 feet above normal and still rising. I have switched to waders to reach my tree stand which is normally a pretty dry walk. I have a permit for tonawanda sunday and the scouting I did thursday of the storm is useless now because its a whole new place. Cattail cover is flat from the snow, trees are down everwhere and the high water levels and hanging trees are very unsafe. I hunt the tonawanda almost daily during the regular season and I am actually quite excited about this year, I hope the raised levels keep it from icing over a little longer and keep some of the skybusters without canoes at home. Hopefully the iroquois will open soon so the birds dont start to seek refuge there and I can get a shot at them for a couple tues, sats and thurs. I plan on scouting the entire area tomorrow so I will follow with another update.
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Water levels

Postby Dep666 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:29 pm

From what I'm hearing, there will be no hunting untill at least Next Saturday. I'm sure it will be longer because ofr all the rain today and what we are going to get tomorrow. Next week mid week its supposed to snow.......NICE.
Dep666
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:33 pm

yea I've heard about the same, it looks like they are trying to make it a go for the 28th but where the water levels are now the current blinds would be unreachable by foot for the mostpart. Hopefully they figure something out because I enjoy hunting the NWR a few times a year for ducks. If not I'll be across the street in the war zone staying clear of the dike hunters.
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:39 pm

Looks like iroquois will have 11 or 12 blinds open to permit holders saturday. Those who had permits for the opener are s.o.l. and regular 5am drawings will begin tuesday for the few open blinds. More blinds will open as the water levels reciede and they are deemed safe.
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting